2»

Replies

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    1. Close Facebook.
    2. Stop using Facebook for factual information.
    3. Stop using MFP to set your calories, stop using calculators for anything other than a vague starting point, stop worrying about activity levels, stop logging exercise and worrying about eating exercise calories back.
    3. Set a custom goal in MFP. 1800 calories if you so wish and accurately log calories over a sustained period. Basically use a TDEE method.
    4. Weigh regularly and monitor trends using an app like libra.
    5. Adjust calories up or down as required over a bi-weekly or monthly basis according to weight trend.
    6. Don't panic.

I crossed out the stuff that doesn't need in here.

A MFP when used to set a reasonable weekly weight loss goal will give you adequate calories to eat and not feel hungry and lose the weight.

With 20lbs to go the weekly weight loss goal should be 1/2lb not 1lb....

Custom goals are not for new people and TDEE requires tracking accurately and consistently for at least 3 week and for that you need a starting point for calories....aka MFP.

If you use a fitbit set yourself at sedentary here on MFP, set your Fitibt to lose weight and eat back you exercise calories given by your fitbit.

Easy peasy.

+1
    I do this but I try to leave a few "earned" calories uneaten on my day.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    1. Close Facebook.
    2. Stop using Facebook for factual information.
    3. Stop using MFP to set your calories, stop using calculators for anything other than a vague starting point, stop worrying about activity levels, stop logging exercise and worrying about eating exercise calories back.
    3. Set a custom goal in MFP. 1800 calories if you so wish and accurately log calories over a sustained period. Basically use a TDEE method.
    4. Weigh regularly and monitor trends using an app like libra.
    5. Adjust calories up or down as required over a bi-weekly or monthly basis according to weight trend.
    6. Don't panic.

I crossed out the stuff that doesn't need in here.

A MFP when used to set a reasonable weekly weight loss goal will give you adequate calories to eat and not feel hungry and lose the weight.

With 20lbs to go the weekly weight loss goal should be 1/2lb not 1lb....

Custom goals are not for new people and TDEE requires tracking accurately and consistently for at least 3 week and for that you need a starting point for calories....aka MFP.

If you use a fitbit set yourself at sedentary here on MFP, set your Fitibt to lose weight and eat back you exercise calories given by your fitbit.

Easy peasy.

You crossed out what I would have. Regarding fitbit, it doesn't matter what activity level she sets up. Fitbit will catch up with that giving her lower extra calories for higher activity levels, so that shouldn't be an issue.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP if you have a FitBit, what does it say your average calories burned are? Whatever that number is, if you eat 250-500 cals less than that each day, then you would lose 0.5-1lb/week.

For what it's worth I'm 5'2 and lost 30 lbs and am successfully maintaining. I ate between 1600-1900 cals while losing and am maintaining with an average calorie burn of about 2200/day from FitBit. I have myself set to active level and a net goal of ~1800 on here and still eat back the exercise adjustments from FitBit. That has been working for me for 3 years.

A lot of people cling to that 1200 cal level for some reason, I will never understand it. But for as active as you are you should definitely be able to eat considerably more and lose.

Good luck.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds eating 1800 calories a day. You're fine.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I need this to be a life style not a quick fix, yes it would be lovely to lose it quick but I know it's not realistic and i Know I would fail only eating 1200
    Thanks for replying

My daily recommendation is 2200! I don't plan to eat that whole amount, most days I'm aiming for about 1800. I haven't been at it long enough to see a result just yet, but I think it will be good. To gain this weight I was eating well over 3-3500 calories a day and not exercising. Now I'm trying at least 3 days a week of my elliptical. I feel confident I will have to lower my intake goal in a month or two but for now it's a good adjustment from where I was eating. You'll know soon if it's a good amount for you. Maintain feeling satisfied as long as possible, it's a lot harder to lose when you're tired and cranky from too few calories.
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm going to stick to my 1800 calories for April and see what happens, and like most of you are saying if it don't work l'll lower it,

Thanks for all your great advice, I think I'm just worried I'm not going to lose etc... Will keep you posted on my progress x