I realised something this morning

Options
kerriknox
kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
So, this morning I am dragging my butt out of bed to go work out and thinking about how I am not going to weigh in like usual since we had dinner at the pub last night and it was a zillion calories. I knew that even though I was tired,after my meal last night, I had to get to the gym though.

I walk into the gym and am feeling bummed. I'm tired, scared to step on the scale and generally feeling like this is totally not working for me. Then all of a sudden it hit me. This IS working for me and, in fact - if I wasn't doing it I would be in BIG trouble.

Yes, it is true that I am not losing weight and yes it is true that I am watching what I am eating (for the most part) and exercising more than I ever have BUT can you imagine if I wasn't doing that?!? I'd be steadily gaining weight. And in a year from now I'd be in an even harder situation. This IS working for me - it is halting the steady increases I have seen over the years since I got married. It is maintaining the strength I need to cart my 2 kids around with ease.

No - It may not be working as well as I'd like it to, but it is up to me to step it up. Normally (in the past) I would be starting to think about giving it all up - the early mornings, the limited wine intake :-) etc. This morning I realised just how much I need what I am doing right now. I just need to give it a little more - not give up.

Not sure if this makes sense. lol - I am still just on my first coffee but I needed to get this down to remind myself next week when I am feeling bummed again.

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    thats so true!
    Stopping is the first steps to turning around. Right now you are gathering your tools before the big battle!
  • sabulla
    sabulla Posts: 58
    Options
    From 1 fitness pal to another, keep up the great work. Keep a good positive attitude. You can do it!!!!!!!!!:wink:
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Keep plugging away! Have you measured yourself? I know when I havent lost for a while I get out the ole' tape measure and BAM self confidence increase! The scale will eventually reflect your new lifestyle!
  • jshbryan
    jshbryan Posts: 29
    Options
    I think the same way sometimes about not exercising. Getting started is the hardest part.

The easiest way for me to think about it is that "I don't want to be that guy anymore". Also, when it helps to remember that if I cheat or want to skip an exercise day, that all of this is for nothing if I am going to just cave over getting up and doing something.
  • Oaneer
    Oaneer Posts: 11
    Options
    I feel you , I am in the same boat. I am not losing but I am not gaining. So it is up to me to step it up to the next level if I want to see big results.
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    I totally agree with you and totally relate to it all!! This is a lifestyle change plain and simple. Thanks for sharing because its nice to step back and look at the whole picture. :) (I just started my first cup of coffee lol)
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Keep plugging away! Have you measured yourself? I know when I havent lost for a while I get out the ole' tape measure and BAM self confidence increase! The scale will eventually reflect your new lifestyle!

I agree... I was bummed yesterday morning because my scale hadn't moved.... then I had my measurements done and realized, after calculating several times to be sure :), that I was down 9.75 inches in the last 5 weeks!!! :)

Keep up the good work... Your doing something wonderful for yourself. :)
  • aacosta11
    aacosta11 Posts: 16
    Options
    Wow, thanks for posting this. :happy: I really needed to read this....I was so bummed this morning, when I didn't see any change in the scale, and was really questioning why I am putting all this time and effort into losing weight. But I know that I just have to keep doing what I'm doing (eating better, and exercising) I may not see a difference in weight, but i feel better about myself and I love not being STUFFED and SLUGGISH when I finish eating a meal.

Thanks again for posting, everyone have a great weekend. :flowerforyou:
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I'm so proud of you Kerri - as an MFP friend please let me tell you that you ARE doing great and your intensity is growing and I'm so very pleased with you and proud for you on this!!!

Isn't it amazing the difference in us in such a short period of time?

WAY TO GO!
  • MalDunc2012
    MalDunc2012 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Kerri, this is exactly what I needed to read. You are SO right--STOPPING the gaining and making better decisions is SUCH an achievement. Don't know ya, but proud of ya, sister!
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing this morning. I've lost a whopping 7 or so pounds in the past 5 months. Yep, about 1.25 pounds a month. Slow slow slow.

But imagine if I'd gained 7 pounds instead, as I might have if I wasn't choosing my foods more thoughtfully and choosing to get out and exercise? I'd be 14 pounds heavier than I am now, and my hike this morning (if I'd even bothered to go) would have left me out of breath and feeling sore. Instead, I was happy to be out walking up a hill, enjoying the scenery.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    What a terrific perspective to have found. Bravo!
  • Merrymel
    Merrymel Posts: 15
    Options
    Did you read all of our minds? I finished doing my Leslie Sasoone 4 Fast Miles...DVD and thought.....the scale didn't move--why do I continue? But then I thought....it didn't move either way....I put on a blouse for work today and WOW it fits soo much looser....Your so right girl....We just need to keep on keeping on....Thanks for the thoughts! We ARE winning the battle...