For those bulking on PPL

Options
How often, if at all, do you target your abs? Do you feel that with all the compound lifts that you even NEED to?

Thanks!

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Do you feel that with all the compound lifts that you even NEED to?

That's like asking if you need to work your biceps since you already do rows and pull ups, or asking if you need to work triceps since you already do bench press...

Probably unnecessary if you're just starting out when building a strength base is the most important thing which is why programs like Starting Strength and Stronglifts consist solely of compound lifts, but for intermediate and advanced lifters, I'd suggest working abs and core directly.

Target them once per split cycle.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I work mine 2 to 3x a week because i want a strong core. But there is no need to do it.
  • cjmaster2k
    cjmaster2k Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    once per week is more than adequate imo
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Twice per week. Just choose a day and do it. And yes you need to do it so that you can have abs when you cut down. Too many people follow the "squat and deadlifts work my core enough, why should I do anything else?". Build it now, reveal it on your cut.

Choose any of the following: Cable crunches, ab rollouts, hanging leg raises, weighted planks, russian twists, decline sit up, etc.