Going when you're tired?

Options
Well, not really tired. My body is still getting use to the gym, I have a little soreness here and there when I do something new but the first few days at the gym already destroyed any feelings of agony I was able to feel. Now however, I have muscles that are... Tight? They seem to get exhausted really early now in my work outs, be it cardio or weights. What can I do to push past this? My workouts become shorter because of this but it just tires my muscles to keep going past a certain point. It even seems to mess with my breathing sometimes. Is this a tick in the turning point of building up what my body can do? Should I force myself beyond this muscle exhaust?

Replies

• lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein

Do lower weights with higher reps

Use a foamroller if feeling tight

Take a few days off then get back to it and see how you're feeling

Maybe not eating enough
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might be low on energy or not fully recovered. Are you getting enough sleep? Drinking enough water? How often are you working out? What does your routine look like? How many calories are you eating? Do you track macros?
  • Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch before and after your workouts? That could be an easy solution to tight muscles! You can also add in an extra round of stretching before bed to make sure everything is loosened up.

It may also help to rotate muscle groups -- arms day, chest day, back day, leg day, and throw abs in there as much as you can! While there is some inevitable overlap, the major muscles won't be as tired if you isolate them, instead of doing total body workouts every day or every other day.
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I try to incorporate yoga into my routine T least 1-2 days per week to keep my muscles reasonably loose
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Are you resting? I'm just getting started again and I need a day off between workouts for sure. I could do it, but it would be half the time and half the power. To me it's more worth it to give my body a break in between. At least until I'm more fit.

I also find that now that my exercise is regular I am super hungry on exercise days. I think that's part of the recovery process too. Make sure you're eating enough protein to repair any muscles needing it. I spend a lot of my day stretching any tight spots and also have a foam roller for when I'm really sore.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Acacia_Evers Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1200-1400 calories, work out on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturdays. I don't normally stretch before working out, I'll definitely try that. I do have a terrible habit of never drinking anything unless I'm reminded, but I get plenty of sleep at night. I usually make a protein shake and drink it an hour before going in.