Please help need low calorie...

Options
Hey everyone I just started this low calorie diet thing and I am dying!! I have been eating salad every day and starting to get tired and frustrated. If anyone has any low calorie dinner and lunch ideas please help! Thanks a million

Replies

• glynnette
    Options
    Hey everyone I just started this low calorie diet thing and I am dying!! I have been eating salad every day and starting to get tired and frustrated. If anyone has any low calorie dinner and lunch ideas please help! Thanks a million
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Grilled Chicken, baked or grilled fish, I love salmon! Chili made with turkey vs. hamburger, baked chicken with thyme or rosemary, tonight I'm making ortega hard shell tacos with ground turkey, they are very low cal and you can load up on the veggies!...man this is making me hungry!
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    check out hungry-girl.com She has some great low calorie but very filling recipes.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Go to prevention.com, and under their food and nutrition tab, click on recipe finder. Select nutrition needs, and then select low calorie-inactive women or low-calorie active women (whichever you are...the ones for inactive women have fewer calories per serving). This site is really nice because it pops back with over 1000 recipes, and if you find one you like, you can store it in your electronic "recipe box." I have about a dozen recipes in there that I want to try, and the ones we've had so far were pretty good and didn't taste like "diet" food.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Oh, you may also want to look into purchasing a Volumetrics cookbook. All the recipes are low calorie but high density and very filling meals. My mom and I had a few recipes from there and they were really good as well!
  • littletiger972000
    Options
    This is the Kraft website. It has some really good recipes! :happy:

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/HealthyLiving/HealthyLivingLandingPage.aspx
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    when you say "low calorie" how low do you mean? If all you're eating is salads you're not eating enough. low cal dinners? choose any type of meat and have 3 oz (about the size and thickness of the palm of your hand) now add a serving of any non-starchy steamed vegetable and a serving of whole grains (rice, pasta... could even switch it up and try some sweet potatos)
  • jsmccloy
    jsmccloy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I got a magazine/book from my grocery store -- Taste of Home Comfort Foods. It's a diet cookbook with foods that don't seem diet at all (my lunch today was beef and spinach lasagna and last night I had a beef tenderloin dinner). It breaks the foods down by meal and calorie content. They even have a 2-week sample meal plan to help you schedule. With these meals I'm rarely left wanting more (but if I am I have one of the double-chocolate cupcakes that I made from a recipe in the book) and don't feel like I'm preventing myself from eating what I want.
    The one downside is that a lot of the foods are fairly high in sodium, so watch out for that if you get it.
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    For lunch I usually have a turkey sandwich. Sara lee makes wheat bread that is 45 calories a slice. Then I put some deli turkey on it, with a little mustard. Its a 200 calorie lunch. I usually have fruit 2 hours later, and I feel fine. :glasses:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    make sure you keep things interesting. If you make yourself eat salads all day when you don't like them to begin with - of course you're gonna be miserable! start with some of your favorite dishes and use lower fat and / or calorie substitutes. make sure you're getting enough protein and make sure you're getting enough carbs (that come from whole grain not processed). Also drink enough water to keep from getting tired and you'll feel fuller.
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    There are some great recipes on this site too. The Diner Meat Loaf Muffins are GREAT and super for taking to work, already portioned out for ya! :bigsmile:
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Also, just check what you normally eat and see if you can modify it to make it lower cal...

For instance, Campbells has a line of "smart choice" soups, and you can substitute the WASA rye crackers for soda ones. I think a lot of choices need to be made at the supermarket - butter substitutes if you must have butter, low fat cheeses and other dairy products.

If you need quick fixes, you can buy frozen "light" entrees for lunches or dinners.

And, think whole foods, like eggs, baked potato, apples... It does take a bit of adjusting, but if you stock your home with healthy choices, it makes things a little easier.

Hope that helps:smile:
  • Periphria
    Periphria Posts: 358
    Options
    I have been losing weight by watching the portion sizes of the foods I eat. So cherrios for breakfast is a one cup serving, and that's what I do. I also use the counter with MFP and it works great.

Eating salads all the time is boring, and I hate salads during the winter months, so I just eat steamed veggies and if I want seconds, I make sure it's the veggies and work off what ever I over ate.

Another thing to try is to put your meals into the counter before you eat and see how much work (workout) you would have to do if you ate that.

Good luck