Butter alternatives?!

Options
calories are troublesome for me, anyway I can have recommendations for a butter w/ low calories?

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with butter, just don't eat ridiculous amounts of it.
  • midge_m
    midge_m Posts: 1,085 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I like the land o'lakes light butter with olive oil. 50 cals a tablespoon (half of regular butter)

I am kinda of a full flavor food gal though, so I also buy really good quality regular butter and just use less when I need to get tight with cals.
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Yes there is nothing better then butter in moderation.

Nothing wrong with butter, just don't eat ridiculous amounts of it.

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP and learned more about nutrition, I ditched the margarine and other butter substitutes. Nothing but real sweet cream butter for me now!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are trying to make.
    Often nothing can replace butter. Sometimes you can just cook without any of it.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My alternative to butter is just nothing. These butter substitutes just don't cut it, and I question its value to those trying to eat healthy.
    One of my biggest challenges early on was getting used to real foods again and eating in moderation.

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Butter for me as well, but I don't use a lot and weigh every gram.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I use Smart Balance...I really love the taste on everything from toast to potatoes.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Vegan butter called melt
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Stick with real butter. Trust cows, not chemists
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    kerrygold butter is god. i could never give that stuff up
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Honestly the fake butters just don't have the flavor and I end up eating more of it. Just use less of a real, quality butter and have it on the top of what you eat it with so you really taste it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    calories are troublesome for me, anyway I can have recommendations for a butter w/ low calories?

In what way are calories troublesome for you?

Butter is butter and all brands of butter will have approximately the same amount of calories, and it's almost pure fat, so it can never be low in calories. There are some strategies you can use:

You can use less butter when you use butter.
    You can eat butter less often.
    You can cut down on something else.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Spray butter
    Popcorn shaker butter
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My favoite replacement ricotta, humus, avocado or nothing all probably better for you than butter. Occasionally I will have butter.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Salt.

I know that sounds weird and I do understand that a large quantity of salt isn't really so healthy, but it does make dry veggies taste better in the absence of butter without adding extra calories or weird margarine-y flavors.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I won't eat anything but pure butter. Just try to cut back on it when you do consume it. Try using oils like EVOO, safflower or avocado in place of butter as much as possible.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    jmarie1025 wrote: »
    Stick with real butter. Trust cows, not chemists

exactly!
  • chewyxrage
    chewyxrage Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I never really cooked with much butter to begin with but when I do, I use that parkay spray butter. It still has calories but not nearly as much as real butter and it has a decent buttery taste. I use it on things like Broccoli (With garlic powder), Sweet Potatoes, Popcorn, etc.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I still use the "real thing". I tried using alternatives and they tasted too chemically and weird for me. So, I still use my real butter, I just adjust how much I use based on how many calories I have to spend.

Edited to add: When I am going to brown something in a pan/skillet, I used to use all butter. Now, I use about 1/3 butter and 2/3 olive oil. So the suggestion above about substituting olive oil where possible, is a good idea.