Belly Overhang?

Options
Sunny1007
Sunny1007 Posts: 29 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 22 and have never been pregnant. But, I still have a belly hang or as others call it "mothers apron" it's gotten a little bit smaller as I've lost weight and am now at a weight of 135 at 5'5' which I do want to maintain since I feel going lower would be dangerous for my height. I still have a lot of fat on my hips (41 inches) with the belly hang and can't figure out what to do to get rid of it? Any personal experience? I do eat a clean diet, is it exercise?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It is either fat or it is skewed thinking/seeing. It's hard to tell without seeing a picture. Fat requires either eating in a deficit or eating at maintenance and doing progressive resistance exercise.

How much weight did you lose?
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Maybe try recomp.

I have/had belly hang. Mine is from being really obese and 2 pregnancies (though I think the obese part played a larger roll than the pregnancies). As I lost fat it got smaller. Now it looks to be loose skin with some fat still. I'm 5'4.5" and around 122.3 lbs.
    q422xbhgh271.jpg

pipuncgbaqp2.jpg

To:
    0iuwl2sw48p2.jpg

Impressive! Way to go on all your hard work!
  • maypark34
    maypark34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out whether or not your stomach muscles have been torn or if you have diastasis recti ( not exclusively the curse of the mom) and if so maybe alternative exercises would really help target this area - found this on utube though she's a little annoying - it may be helpful http://youtu.be/Ys7mb_PPuqA
  • Sunny1007
    Options
    I lost close to 43 lbs.
  • Sunny1007
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    It is either fat or it is skewed thinking/seeing. It's hard to tell without seeing a picture. Fat requires either eating in a deficit or eating at maintenance and doing progressive resistance exercise.

I've lost close to 43 lbs.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You will like the look and shape of your body by doing a progressive weight lifting program.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Sunny1007 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

I've lost close to 43 lbs.

Then I'd suggest eating at maintenance and doing progressive resistance exercise such as bodyweight or calisthenics or lifting weights or a combo. Doing that will help you burn fat and build muscle. Keep in mind that this is a long term project. While that is going on, your skin will continue shrinking. You've lost a good amount of weight but not a huge amount plus you're young. I think you'd be very happy with your results if you do this.

Good job so far!
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Maybe try recomp.

I have/had belly hang. Mine is from being really obese and 2 pregnancies (though I think the obese part played a larger roll than the pregnancies). As I lost fat it got smaller. Now it looks to be loose skin with some fat still. I'm 5'4.5" and around 122.3 lbs.
    q422xbhgh271.jpg

pipuncgbaqp2.jpg

To:
    0iuwl2sw48p2.jpg

I know this a year old, but you've given me so much hope, right now my stomach looks like yours did in the 2015 pic, I feel like I'm stuck like this but seeing what you did makes me feel a lot better. I know it's going to take time but hopefully, I will be able to do the same. You look absolutely amazing by the way
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Aw0627 wrote: »
    Maybe try recomp.

q422xbhgh271.jpg

pipuncgbaqp2.jpg

To:
    0iuwl2sw48p2.jpg

I know this a year old, but you've given me so much hope, right now my stomach looks like yours did in the 2015 pic, I feel like I'm stuck like this but seeing what you did makes me feel a lot better. I know it's going to take time but hopefully, I will be able to do the same. You look absolutely amazing by the way

Just too add, body composition is going to play a huge role in this.
  • rnpnick
    rnpnick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Why would going under 135 be unhealthy? If you are a smaller framed 5'5" with low muscle mass you may have more to lose in order to reduce the overhang. My wife is the same height and has a small frame. She was determined 135 was the magic number but now that she has reached that goal she understands she is not finished.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am 45 years old and 5'5" and got down to 117-120 maintenance for 1.5 years wearing a size 4 pants before I started weight training in addition to my cardio. Now I maintain at 119-125 while still wearing a size 4 pants (for the most part). With the weight training, my shape has changed somewhat which makes some pants fit differently. My belly (which I still have, only smaller) is an issue but my butt has lifted a bit, my calves are shapelier and thighs have thinned out but muscled up. Plus, it's cool seeing a little bit of muscle in my back without fat oozing around my bra!

I am not sure why you feel that going below 135 while being 5'5" would be dangerous. Right now, I am at the point of having to tweak my diet because that is the only thing left I can change to try and reduce my belly fat. While mine no longer hangs, I still have this pouch/pooch that is maddening. Weight training may be what you need, coupled with a good eating plan.