Gnarly headaches...

Options
2»

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    tamicoil1 wrote: »
    Actually, for prediabetes, eating a well-balanced diet, exercise and losing weight helps the most. Not cutting out carbs and sugar.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/patient-advice/articles/2015/06/23/you-have-prediabetes-now-what

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/features/prediabetes-diagnosis-what-to-do

My doctor recommended going low carb and cutting added sugar, not all sugar.

The irony of this is that I *was* low carb, or fairly so, and I went to the nutritionist when my tests put me into the diabetic range. She told me to up my carbs (but to eat healthy complex carbs), which just kind of blew my mind, and I had a good laugh with my gluten intolerant friend. I upped them a bit, never noticed much of a change when I tested though. I dialed back my sugar intake (I was admittedly out of control eating high sugar foods/drinks), and start exercising along with hopping back on MFP and now I'm down in the pre-diabetic world. When I got that result, my dr told me to keep losing weight, and keep exercising to help keep it under control, no mention of diet at all (she was busy giving me the riot act about not falling off the bandwagon admittedly and may have forgot. I :love: my Dr).
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I wasn't given any specifics other than the guideline of eat low carb and less added sugar. I'm aiming preferably around 100-115g of carbs per day... I figured that would be a decent midline with upped protein and moderate fat. What is low carb flu?

I looked at your diary. You may have reduced carbs, but you're not low carb, so something else is going on. Did you also stop drinking beverages that contain caffeine?

I drink one cup of coffee a day normally.. Haven't stopped that. I'm really confused and feel so dumb --- is what I'm doing bad with carbs? Can you give me some insight?

No, what you are doing is exactly right for your situation. Keep up the good work. In your shoes, I would try an extra cup of coffee and perhaps some Excedrin.

Headaches DO happen for reasons other than dietary changes though--they can be hormonal, they can be triggered by allergies or sinus issues, they can be migraines. I had a brain aneurysm at age 28 myself. If the headache is REALLY bad and lasts for more than a day, it might be worthwhile to see a doctor.
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    And I'll ask the obvious just in case...did your doctor test your Thyroid?

Fairly certain it was tested within the last 2 years and was normal but I'll have to double check on that
  • stephinator92
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I wasn't given any specifics other than the guideline of eat low carb and less added sugar. I'm aiming preferably around 100-115g of carbs per day... I figured that would be a decent midline with upped protein and moderate fat. What is low carb flu?

I looked at your diary. You may have reduced carbs, but you're not low carb, so something else is going on. Did you also stop drinking beverages that contain caffeine?

I drink one cup of coffee a day normally.. Haven't stopped that. I'm really confused and feel so dumb --- is what I'm doing bad with carbs? Can you give me some insight?

No, what you are doing is exactly right for your situation. Keep up the good work. In your shoes, I would try an extra cup of coffee and perhaps some Excedrin.

Headaches DO happen for reasons other than dietary changes though--they can be hormonal, they can be triggered by allergies or sinus issues, they can be migraines. I had a brain aneurysm at age 28 myself. If the headache is REALLY bad and lasts for more than a day, it might be worthwhile to see a doctor.

Thank you!
  • blewbell
    blewbell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My thyroid is normal but along the borders. I am also 'prediabetic' and am under the same dr's orders as you. I got horrible headaches at first, and migraines with nausea. Started taking a NOW supplement, Thyroid Energy and it has helped. But probably a good Vitamin B supplement would do the trick.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight following low carb/high fat & protein. I've been in maintenance now for a year & a half and continue to follow that plan and haven't gained anything back. I looked at your diary and you are totally on point. I continue to eat a lower daily carb total than you, but that's an individual thing. I just don't feel good eating more carbs. If you feel good at these numbers, and are losing, wonderful. Keep it up. But you still need to keep your calories in check, you can't just eat as much as you want. It's WHAT you eat. I have insulin resistance and i suspect that's what your doctor is thinking that for you as well. Especially if he/she brought up the pre-diabetic state. You may want to ask about it. Keep in mind, it has to be a lifestyle change forever, not a "diet". If you lose some weight, then go back to previous eating habits, then it's all for naught. I found the website "authoritynutrition" has a LOT of really good information about low carb. There's also a low carb group here on MFP. Best of luck in your journey.
  • stephinator92
    Options
    I have been insulin resistant/pre diabetic since I was 11. I'm now 24. I'm just trying to find the best balance for myself. The headache went away after I had a salty dinner so maybe it was the increased water causing it. Thanks everyone!
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Oh geez, you'd asked about the headaches. And yes, you definitely can get headaches from the change in eating habits. And if you've now cut sugar or products with sugar out of your diet, that can trigger headaches. You already addressed the caffeine. Just give your body a few days to acclimate to the change in your diet, and you should be ok. Just hang in there.
  • JButlerEagle
    JButlerEagle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sugar has been my "drug of choice" and the biggest part of my weight struggles. I would agree that the headaches are an "I miss sugar" reaction. I had about a week of them when I first started reducing my sugar intake. I think it will get better soon... and you'll feel so much better overall.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    And I'll ask the obvious just in case...did your doctor test your Thyroid?

Fairly certain it was tested within the last 2 years and was normal but I'll have to double check on that

Make sure to get tested sometime soon, maybe once a year. I have a friend who suffers from low thyroid and while the frustration with not losing weight as fast as she should when she is not properly medicated is one thing, she also gets tired really easily and experiences brain fog when she is not being properly treated. That's the only reason I bring it up.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Headaches are normal for the first couple days of cutting back on carbs. You can reduce the effect by drinking plenty of water and making sure you are getting enough sodium, potassium and magnesium in your diet.

It will pass. Personally, I went through a few days where I had crazy headaches, was exhausted with muscle fatigue and a little queasy. Then one day, I woke up and felt amazing and none of those symptoms ever came back. In fact, I am prone to migraines and haven't had them since I cut out carbs.
  • DVWeil
    DVWeil Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you're cutting out in terms of drinks, but I know when I made the choice to cut out all kinds of soda (I used to drink a LOT of diet soda), I had massive withdrawal headaches for awhile. Still get them occasionally if I push the water too hard, but I know the soda was a big culprit- my body wanted the aspartame. I also get it occasionally if I don't have a coffee for 3-4 days, but not as severe