Is "metabolic damage" real?

Options
I've been seeing some youtube videos and posts about healing "metabolic damage" from being either a severe yo yo dieter or having gone on a very restrictive/borderline starvation diet in the past. Is metabolic damage even real? I thought that your cells were fairly resilient to your changing environment or have others found this to be legit and agree that it takes time to heal from years of yo-yo dieting?

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    IMO, probably not.

If you want to know if you have "metabolic damage" or IOW, a reduced BMR then you can get that tested. Just use google...a university near here does it for $150. If you use less calories at rest than other people with the same lean mass then maybe you qualify.

But if you aren't losing weight at a calorie level that allowed you to lose weight before it is a lot more likely that you have less lean mass than when you were previously at your current weight, or that you move less (NEAT) than before.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yes it is real, it may require some dietary adjustments but it may also be related to loss of muscle from yo-yo dieting. It isn't about cells but complex metabolic changes induced during dieting and the sedentary life.

Here, extended coverage of the subject:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss
  • lizziexboredom
    lizziexboredom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor or an expert on nutrition and I can't really comment on whether actual metabolic damage is real. I do know however that it can take years to recover from extended periods of time of unhealthy eating, yo-yo dieting, or eating disorders. Whether or not the recovery is due to mental aspects or physical ones, I cannot say. I think it would be unrealistic to expect someone to go from eating a poor diet and being sedentary for 25 years or more and then go to clean eating and routine exercise without their body kind of going into shock. When I first made the change to clean eating, I did so after a lifetime of cycling between extremely restrictive eating such as less than 500 calories a day and completely unrestricted eating of mostly junk food. When I started eating better, my skin broke out, I felt lethargic and depressed, and I didn't lose anything. I pressed forward, and now it's much better although I'm still learning as I go. Was this metabolic damage? Idk. I definitely needed some mental health adjustments.
  • ilex70
    Options
    Yes it is real, it may require some dietary adjustments but it may also be related to loss of muscle from yo-yo dieting. It isn't about cells but complex metabolic changes induced during dieting and the sedentary life.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

You've obviously done a deep dive on the topic. I guess I think of adaptive thermogenesis differently than metabolic damage.

Usually when the term "metabolic damage" is thrown around the implication is that "it isn't your fault you are heavy, you are damaged and you should just resign yourself to being fat you poor thing".

I don't buy that. In 2012 I did a long term VLCD where I consumed between 800-1000 calories a day. I lost 100 pounds in about a year. Then, due to a return to bad habits combined with stress I regained 50+.

Now I'm back here on MFP and losing steadily with a range of 1200 - 1400 a day. Yeah, I exercise, but I did that with the VLCD too.

Maybe if I didn't have a history of extreme restriction/weight loss I would lose just as much on a couple hundred calories more. Maybe.

But we all have to start from an estimate for our energy balance and then work up or down based on real life feedback.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »

You've obviously done a deep dive on the topic. I guess I think of adaptive thermogenesis differently than metabolic damage.

Usually when the term "metabolic damage" is thrown around the implication is that "it isn't your fault you are heavy, you are damaged and you should just resign yourself to being fat you poor thing".

I don't buy that. In 2012 I did a long term VLCD where I consumed between 800-1000 calories a day. I lost 100 pounds in about a year. Then, due to a return to bad habits combined with stress I regained 50+.

Now I'm back here on MFP and losing steadily with a range of 1200 - 1400 a day. Yeah, I exercise, but I did that with the VLCD too.

Maybe if I didn't have a history of extreme restriction/weight loss I would lose just as much on a couple hundred calories more. Maybe.

But we all have to start from an estimate for our energy balance and then work up or down based on real life feedback.

adaptive thermogenesis is not metabolic damage.

Metabolic damage occurs after starvation...ie famines, anorexic/bulimia etc.

There are specific actions that have to be taken to fix it.

Metabolic damage happens after years and years of VLCD either forced or self inflicted.
  • ilex70
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Metabolic damage happens after years and years of VLCD either forced or self inflicted.

No disagreement. Just replying to EvgeniZyntx post...it is multi-part at the posted link.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    No. Metabolism is the excuse people use when they think their mate sits down all day eating tonnes of pizza and doesnt put on a pound whereas they eat salads, even at Christmas, and pile on the pounds...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Metabolic damage can happen, but it's more due to extreme disordered eating (much more on the less, than more side).
    Yo-yo dieters (in general) aren't people I'd consider having issues with metabolic damage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Metabolic damage can happen, but it's more due to extreme disordered eating (much more on the less, than more side).
    Yo-yo dieters (in general) aren't people I'd consider having issues with metabolic damage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Never saw someone post on MFP with adrenal or thyroid issues?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited April 2016
    Options

Would you care to describe what the factors of metabolic damage are that aren't part of AT?
    Remember that the Minnesota Starvation experiment saw and reported AT.
    The Minnesota study16 figures among the early demonstration of an adaptive decrease in thermogenesis in response to energy restriction. In this study, EE, body mass, and body composition were measured in 32 men subjected to semi-starvation (half of their energy needs) during 24 weeks.7 Comparison with baseline control period showed that fat-free mass and fat mass loss-adjusted basal metabolic rate was reduced by approx20 and approx25% after 12 and 24 weeks of starvation, respectively, representing a approx1490 and approx1700 kJ/day greater than predicted decrease in basal metabolic rate. More recently, the study of Leibel et al.4 contributed substantially to the quantification of adaptive thermogenesis, also in circumstances of severe energy restriction and body weight changes. This study described the changes in EE in non-obese and obese individuals subjected to a 10% body weight gain and to a 10 and 20% diet-induced (800 kcal/day) body weight loss.4 Total and resting EEs were measured by indirect calorimetry using a respiratory chamber and a ventilated hood, respectively, at the beginning of the study and at each weight plateau after at least 14 days of weight stability. Predicted values of EE were also determined at each weight plateau with regression equations relating initial measures of EE to fat-free mass and fat mass at the initial body weight. The difference between measured and predicted EE was then calculated for each weight plateau and was found to be significant. Indeed, the adaptive thermogenesis termed 'observed-minus-predicted total EE' in this study was -244 and -301 kcal/day (approx1025 and 1264 kJ/day) following a 10 and 20% body weight loss, respectively, in the obese individuals.4

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v31/n2/full/0803523a.html

I can understand why people might think of them as different things, but they are a spectrum of continuity of the same processes. AT talks about the effects of hormonal and systemic changes to metabolic energy use.

Some types of AT are not something that resolve themselves easily.

Not clear to me why you consider them as different?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

I don't pretend to know what is subconsciously meant when the term is used - for me - the question asked is does long term abuse of the body result in physiological conditions that make weight loss more difficult. Just like being morbidly obese make the challenge of becoming a marathon runner more difficult, metabolic changes with certain lifestyles may influence the ability to lose weight.

In discussing this am I giving voice to the idea that "you are damaged and you should resign yourself"? I don't think so. Stating factually that it will require more drive, different methodologies and motivation because one is working with a different starting point isn't outright acceptance and capitulation of the situation. Whether it is adrenal, thyroid, pancreatic or other hormonal elements losing weight becomes a different game for those with PCOS, Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome, etc... Nothing in that extensive thread suggests giving up. Quite the contrary - there are specific strategies (like building LBM, addressing fat deficiencies in diet, etc) that may or not impact AT.

Just for further note on the terminology with reference:
    What people generally refer to as “starvation mode” (and sometimes “metabolic damage”) is the body’s natural response to long-term calorie restriction. It involves the body responding to reduced calorie intake by reducing calorie expenditure in an attempt to maintain energy balance and prevent starvation. This is a natural physiological response, and isn’t really controversial. It is well accepted by scientists, and the technical term for it is “adaptive thermogenesis” ref: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3673773/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Would you care to describe what the factors of metabolic damage are that aren't part of AT?
    The Minnesota study16 figures among the early demonstration of an adaptive decrease in thermogenesis in response to energy restriction. In this study, EE, body mass, and body composition were measured in 32 men subjected to semi-starvation (half of their energy needs) during 24 weeks.7 Comparison with baseline control period showed that fat-free mass and fat mass loss-adjusted basal metabolic rate was reduced by approx20 and approx25% after 12 and 24 weeks of starvation, respectively, representing a approx1490 and approx1700 kJ/day greater than predicted decrease in basal metabolic rate. More recently, the study of Leibel et al.4 contributed substantially to the quantification of adaptive thermogenesis, also in circumstances of severe energy restriction and body weight changes. This study described the changes in EE in non-obese and obese individuals subjected to a 10% body weight gain and to a 10 and 20% diet-induced (800 kcal/day) body weight loss.4 Total and resting EEs were measured by indirect calorimetry using a respiratory chamber and a ventilated hood, respectively, at the beginning of the study and at each weight plateau after at least 14 days of weight stability. Predicted values of EE were also determined at each weight plateau with regression equations relating initial measures of EE to fat-free mass and fat mass at the initial body weight. The difference between measured and predicted EE was then calculated for each weight plateau and was found to be significant. Indeed, the adaptive thermogenesis termed 'observed-minus-predicted total EE' in this study was -244 and -301 kcal/day (approx1025 and 1264 kJ/day) following a 10 and 20% body weight loss, respectively, in the obese individuals.4

I can understand why people might think of them as different things, but they are a spectrum of continuity of the same processes. AT talks about the effects of hormonal and systemic changes to metabolic energy use.

I consider them different because AT happens when you lose weight even 20lbs.

At 205 my BMR was higher than it is now at 155...AT right...but not Metabolic Damage.

But really when it comes down to this debate it's semantics right? Metabolic Damage is on the spectrum of AT but at one end but remember AT also includes heat, cold, drugs, stress, fear etc that can affect the rate of energy expenditure but does not require a doctor to help you fix it...it doesn't need fixed....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20935667 speaks about AT in a way that explains why it's harder to keep weight off once it's lost.

Metabolic Damage needs medical intervention to fix...

If you prefer we can call them these names instead

Metabolic compensation
    Metabolic resistance
    Metabolic damage
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What is the definition of "metabolic damage"? If we knew what we're talking about, then we could have a discussion!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited April 2016
    Options

I consider them different because AT happens when you lose weight even 20lbs.

At 205 my BMR was higher than it is now at 155...AT right...but not Metabolic Damage.

But really when it comes down to this debate it's semantics right? Metabolic Damage is on the spectrum of AT but at one end but remember AT also includes heat, cold, drugs, stress, fear etc that can affect the rate of energy expenditure but does not require a doctor to help you fix it...it doesn't need fixed....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20935667 speaks about AT in a way that explains why it's harder to keep weight off once it's lost.

Metabolic Damage needs medical intervention to fix...

If you prefer we can call them these names instead

Metabolic compensation
    Metabolic resistance
    Metabolic damage

It is a semantics term discussion - In the literature you'll find AT cover things from LBM loss, all the way down to irreversible hormonal and brain chemistry changes that may occur during long term calorie restriction. On the other hand metabolic damage assumes the something is "damaged" and needs to be fixed.

So getting down to specifics - someone who diets severely and moves from an active lifestyle to a sedentary lifestyle will see a reduction in metabolism from a variety of factors - this may include (among many other things) reduced cortisol sensitivity and adrenal response and reduced mitochondrial count in tissue. Both of which may respond to medical intervention (T3 therapy, metformin, etc.) or exercise and diet, depending on severity and age.
    So if a doctor gets involved it is "metabolic damage" and if it is managed via exercise it is just "AT"?

Conditions aren't defined by the fact that "medical intervention" is needed but by aetiologies. In the absence of distinct differentials metabolic damage and AT are the same thing with possible different levels of severity.

But I'm perfectly ok if you prefer to reserve "damage" to the most severe types - it also addresses the frequency of the question on the boards and the intent of "am I damaged" as a way of capitulating to the situation. Most people aren't irreversibly damaged.

In light of that - I'd suggest that someone might have more difficulty losing weight for a variety of metabolic, medical and functional reasons after time yo-yoing or with severe weight gain or loss but that it isn't a fatality, in of itself. The factors that influence that, and how to address some of them, remain relevant in the deep dive thread I posted.

Alongside determine if issues like metabolic syndrome or PCOS are present - things like exercise level monitoring, macro partitioning may help specific individuals find personal solutions.

Edit:typo.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Metabolic adaptation is definitely real - you restrict your calorie intake and after a while your body starts to fight back to keep you alive. But after you increase your calories back up, your metabolism recovers. There are things you can do to minimize the negative effects of these adaptations (moderate caloric restrictions, reverse dieting, etc.)

But metabolic damage, which people usually take to mean a state of permanent metabolic adaptation that makes it impossible for you to lose weight... Yeah, that's bologna.