Stomach Growling

Options
Hey everyone! So I just newly committed to hopefully losing close to 20 pounds by my 21st bday (may 26) cause we are going to new orleans and I wanna be confident! I am currently eating around 1300 calories which a large calorie deficit than what I would normally be eating because im cutting out fast food, soda, etc. For some reason things like quest bars and big protein shakes are not keeping me full as long as I would like. I don't feel to eat, but my stomach just starts growling, is that just my body adjusting or what? any tips?

Replies

• christinedegennaro7
    Options
    Water, water, water! Water with fruit is a tasty way of getting water into you, especially if you're cutting out the sodas and sugary drinks! Lemons, oranges, limes, grapefruit, strawberries, even cucumbers are fantastic in water! Hot teas also tend to be filling with a touch of flavor. Drink before meals, or once the growling starts. You might be able to hold off munching for a while, but eat when you're hungry! Just plan for it and have healthy munchy things! Nuts, fruit, cottage cheese and yogurt, and raw veggies are easy snacking foods, and low calorie and will hold you over between meals.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    What is your TDEE? How much do you need to lose overall? Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    High-fiber foods help a lot, everything from supplements (like chia seeds or psyllium) to high-fiber vegetables or fruits. V8 juice, if you enjoy it, is a good stomach-rumble killer you can keep on hand without refrigeration. I've gotten in the habit of starting every dinner with a giant bowl of salad, with mixed greens, chopped bell peppers, jicama (especially good for fiber), cherry tomatoes, and hearts of palm, with a small amount of dressing and a good sprinkle of salt. That occupies me for a good while, munching away, so that when I turn to the rest of dinner I'm more sated. Sometimes we need to find ways to slow down a meal so that our brain has a chance to register the fact that we're not so hungry any more.
  • jpoutney
    jpoutney Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    CHIA! Swells to 10 times it's size once ingested. That'll help keep you full. I have it for breakfast (around 8am most days) and I can go until 12-2pm. Water, tea in between.
  • theWODdoll
    theWODdoll Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of veggies, they're low in calories and keep you so full because you can have a ton of them. I would suggest eating about 5x a day (3 meals and 2 snacks) to keep your metabolism going and drink at least 3 liters of water a day :)
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your stomach doesn't growl from hunger but because it's digesting.
  • britishbeefcake
    britishbeefcake Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Good point
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    This was my thought. Mine makes noise all of the time.

OP, is it actual hunger pangs or just noises? If actual hunger, are you trying to be too restrictive with your calories? It sounds like you might think you are. While I get the desire to drop weight as fast as possible to meet a goal, keep in mind that fast weight lost isn't good for your body. Not only is it hard on your whole system there's an aesthetic component to it you may not realize.

You'll be losing a significant amount of muscle along with the fat you want to lose if you drop weight too quickly. This happens because your body wants to save fat for starvation periods and what you're basically doing when you really undereat is starving yourself. Muscle is an easier target than fat, especially if you aren't actively using those muscles a lot. What you end up with then is less muscle (which burns more calories than fat) and a lower metabolism. That then makes it easier to gain weight and when you do it'll almost all be fat so you'll end up with an even higher percentage of body fat than you had before you lost weight. That makes it even harder to lose weight the next time. It's a vicious cycle. Don't fall into it.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I am currently eating around 1300 calories which a large calorie deficit than what I would normally be eating because im cutting out fast food, soda, etc.
    Is this a miswording, or are you saying that you're on a bigger deficit than what MFP calculated (or TDEE if you did that) because you're not eating fast food, soda, etc?
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Totally unrelated but I'm also going to NOLA that weekend. Friend me want to gab about this trip!!