Treadmill calories or MyFitnessPal calories

Options
I have been using the treadmill and stationary bike for cardio. When I get my report at the end and when I go to enter it on the app, the calories burned are VERY different, so which one do I go with? Treadmill or Stationary Bike? Or MyFitnessPal?

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Be safe and go with the lowest one.
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust the treadmill. Manufacturers fug the data to entice you into using their machines. I am a trainer and I know this first hand
  • ausra67
    ausra67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For your treadmill you can sanity check the numbers by using the following (source: Runners World)

For walking .30 x weight(in lbs) x distance (in miles)
    For running .63 x " x "

These numbers will be conservative if you're using the treadmill at a steep incline.

For the bike I cant offer a formula (I'm sure there's on out there) that would be based on distance and speed.
  • julyrunner
    julyrunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    BrianSharpe's formula is probably much more accurate, but I guesstimate 100 cal/mile for running and 40 cal/mile cycling. Which is close enough for me :).
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Whatever is lower.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    jrtocco500 wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust the treadmill. Manufacturers fug the data to entice you into using their machines. I am a trainer and I know this first hand

I have worked with people who actually design the machines and I know first hand that this is not the case when it comes to treadmills.