Body image issues-advice please

Options
Hi guys, I started my weight loss journey 14 months ago, starting weight 184.4...current weight 143.4. The numbers clearly show that I have been successful and that I have done a great job. My friends and family have also told me they have seen a difference, but I am having a hard time with it. I still see the "fat" girl I have seen for years. Has anyone else had this problem and what have you done to make you feel better?t7t56xdenr5i.jpeg

Replies

• DakotaG96
    DakotaG96 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think most people have been in your shoes, I know I have! One of the best things I have done is progress photos. It shows what you were like a year ago compared to now. It can be very encouraging when you are having a hard time because Joshmo on your right is stinking ripped and showing off. So I encourage you and everyone else, take some photos. Take some now then in 2-4 weeks take another it will really help out!
  • Lkush89
    Lkush89 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That's my one regret is that I didn't in the beginning, and that's why I'm having such a hard time now. The picture I posted was from today...I just wish I had some from 14 months ago. Numbers can only say so much.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It's just human nature to have such issues, so yes.
    Just keep doing the next right thing with your diet and exercise routines, record your progress and like Dakota said: take photos.
    My fat pics hang right here for me to see all day. I want that constant reminder of where I was and never want to be again.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!

I would suggest focusing on little things that have changed. For instance what clothes are now too big or loose? Do any fit now that were too small before? Did you have tighten a watch or change which hooks you use on your bra? Do your cheekbones show now or other bones? For fitness, how much more can lift, farther can you walk, faster can you run? Look for those small signs, and I would guess that as you notice more of them you will also start to realize how far you have come.
  • Lkush89
    Options
    That's a good idea. I can't look at before pictures, but I can look at my old clothes as reminders. I've gone down 4 sizes in my pants which is pretty awesome. Maybe I'll frame a pair of jeans. Thanks guys.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!
  • themusicteach
    themusicteach Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My wife gets on me a lot about my body image - I was the chubby kid who was bullied as a kid and I have emotional baggage from that. It isn't easy, and I've had to confront a lot of my issues. I guess what I'm suggesting is to make sure you are taking care of yourself inside as well as you are out.. You deserve to really enjoy your success!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Because lots of people are comparing themselves to others all the time. Here's a secret though: even the people whom others envy, have the same feelings you do. People with six packs still criticize themselves for now being as good as the "other" person they idol.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Lkush89
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone's input. I've always had a hard time with body image as most people have. Growing up my parents made weight a big deal and would always point out my stomach or my arms, and of course that would only make me feel worse. I'm now 26 and finally taking control of my health. I feel so much better, but yes it is a bigger issue. It is not just my appearance, but my inside thoughts as well. Again I really appreciate everyone's input!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Lkush89 wrote: »
    That's my one regret is that I didn't in the beginning, and that's why I'm having such a hard time now. The picture I posted was from today...I just wish I had some from 14 months ago. Numbers can only say so much.

Do any of your family or friends have photos of you that they could share?
  • Lkush89
    Options
    I technically have pictures, just none of my full body. But that's a great point.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Definitely the old clothes & the new clothes comparison will help you "see" the difference. Also treat yourself to a pedicure cause now you can probably look down in the shower & actually see your toes! :). (That was a big deal when it happened to me)
  • RWClary
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    Lkush89 wrote: »

Do any of your family or friends have photos of you that they could share?
    My father had this gem taken of me at the beach...
    v7f5slzmkpls.jpg
  • Lkush89
    Options
    That's a great idea! I definitely deserve a pedicure! Thank you!
  • Lkush89
    Options

Do any of your family or friends have photos of you that they could share?[/quote]
    My father had this gem taken of me at the beach...
    v7f5slzmkpls.jpg
    [/quote]

Oh man. Thanks for sharing. Now I'm definitely going to ask and see if my family has anything.
  • Lkush89
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ozokqcnx0iyu.jpeg

Do any of your family or friends have photos of you that they could share?[/quote]

What a great idea!!! I found one in my cousins album on Facebook!!!
  • RWClary
    Options
    haha - yes, getting tagged on FB used to be like a curse...lol
  • Lkush89
    Options
    RWClary wrote: »
    haha - yes, getting tagged on FB used to be like a curse...lol

My best friend likes to post my some of my most embarrassing pictures from the past out of the blue just to be a butt head lol.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,990 Member
    Options
    That is a huge difference! Well done!!
  • Lkush89
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    That is a huge difference! Well done!!

Thank you!!!