Question for the Ladies (Serious Replies Please)

Options
If you arrived home after work to find your spouse/significant other/partner had prepared a surprise dinner for you. What things would make it special (other than the food?). Candles and music seem to be the obvious items but, I'm looking for something different... thanks so much!

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Special attention to my diet, and the dishes being done already.
  • corporatelawmom
    corporatelawmom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Dinner is great. But did not hide/ignore the clutter around the house that drives me crazy? If you can, try to take care of some of the chores that she normally does so she can really relax and not think about everything else she has to do.
  • mer1cose
    mer1cose Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Special attention to my diet, and the dishes being done already.

100% focused on her diet and she will not lift a finger!
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I know you're looking for info from the ladies, but flowers are always a nice touch, especially ones you know they like. Maybe some rose petals strewn about the place to accent the candles? You can buy bags of petals at most florists. Is it for a special occasion? Grab an ice bucket and chill some champagne. Serving white wine? Freeze some grapes to use as wine chillers. *ahem* Make the bed.

A quick note, I prepped a meal like this one time and didn't clean the dishes as I made it. Despite all my efforts, the romantic mood was quashed by the pile of pots and pans in the kitchen. Do yourself a favor and make sure the place is cleaned up.
  • Smccabe8
    Smccabe8 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'd be like, who are you and why are you in my house?! #single

In all seriousness... dishes done, house picked up, errands run (like if you're out of milk, need to drop something at UPS ... and she was planning on getting all that done.) Favorite wine or drink prepared?
  • Adamsa1969
    Adamsa1969 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Flowers definitely!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I know you're looking for info from the ladies, but flowers are always a nice touch, especially ones you know they like. Maybe some rose petals strewn about the place to accent the candles? You can buy bags of petals at most florists. Is it for a special occasion? Grab an ice bucket and chill some champagne. Serving white wine? Freeze some grapes to use as wine chillers. *ahem* Make the bed.

A quick note, I prepped a meal like this one time and didn't clean the dishes as I made it. Despite all my efforts, the romantic mood was quashed by the pile of pots and pans in the kitchen. Do yourself a favor and make sure the place is cleaned up.

Another vote for clean the kitchen!
  • mer1cose
    mer1cose Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! I am going to prep everything tonight while she is away. She will not lift a finger.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    mer1cose wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I give her flowers every Friday so I will just go a day early this time :o) Favorite drink is a great idea! The house will be spotless.... I know that if I leave anything for her to do, she will feel compelled to take care of it and there will be none of that!

Wow she's a lucky lady!

• cramermomma15
    cramermomma15 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A game or special movie or show
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Keep the food wrappers, she's going to want to scan them!! And let her take charge of the remote! Lol!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    This is the sweetest ever! Last night I came home to a clean kitchen, and let's just say when I don't have to clean I have a lot more energy for extracurricular activities.

I also find a single gorgeous flower more impressive than a bouquet for some reason :) good luck! You've got solid advice, she will be pleased!!
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Don't forget dessert, if she's into that sort of thing. Something small, but special.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    mer1cose wrote: »
    If you arrived home after work to find your spouse/significant other/partner had prepared a surprise dinner for you. What things would make it special (other than the food?). Candles and music seem to be the obvious items but, I'm looking for something different... thanks so much!

No dishes to wash. No phone calls. Kid fed and taken care of. Pets taken care of.
    I think everything has been covered.
  • astrdomitter
    astrdomitter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Dishes and a foot rub or back massage
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Also, if this is something she would enjoy, consider making it a picnic, particularly if you have a fireplace. That might make it more special as well. Enjoy!
  • cfritch26
    cfritch26 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For my mine and my husband's first anniversary I came home from work and he had laid out my favorite dress and was in the suit he wore at our rehearsal dinner. He set the table like it was a fancy restaurant...flowers, candles, a tablecloth...and had our song playing. He's not the most skilled cook so he got takeout from our favorite restaurant. It made it so special that he took a simple meal at home and turned our dining room into a 5 star restaurant, and we dressed up just to eat take out! It was simple, inexpensive, and the most wonderful anniversary I could imagine.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Giving her a massage as well. All the important stuff was already suggested: clean house, attention to her diet, her favorite something with her meal, going for a walk, and other nice details mentioned.