“Pre-logging” as a planning tool?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Wakey618 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses – some variety here of how people do things. I think I’ll start doing this to a degree. Not plan everything, but at least the main meals. My planning so far consists of planning about 300-350 calories for each meal, with about 300 calories left for snacks (I’m a grazer). It gets tiring and sometimes overwhelming, so I think pre-planning will help a lot.

makes it easy to know what to take out of the freezer for dinner that night for sure...
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    xSPICYx wrote: »
    If its the weekend, I log while I go since I have no plans. However, my weekdays are so repetitive that I prelog them with the basics of what I share day to day, and leave a small amount of available calories and carbs in case I want to add something to my day when I get home.

This. My breakfast, lunch, and snacks are so repetitive during the work week or at least pre-planned so that is easy. I also pre-log either what I know will be dinner that night or the highest calorie dinner planned for the week (my husband and I typically make 2-3 dinners each week and eat leftovers the other nights). Our dinners and their respective calories vary so much week to week that pre-logging lets me know if I will have extra room for a treat that day or need to make more room by either cutting out a snack or exercising.

The weekends are a free-for-all so I just log as I go.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've just started pre-logging and I love it. It keeps me on track.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I usually log the night before, sometimes a day or two in advance. I plan a treat for after supper, and a lot of my earlier meals are the same most days. I do make changes if I find something else I would rather eat or something comes up, but I have a higher protein goal I like to hit, and I am usually a carbaholic when left to my own devices
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    xSPICYx wrote: »
    If its the weekend, I log while I go since I have no plans. However, my weekdays are so repetitive that I prelog them with the basics of what I share day to day, and leave a small amount of available calories and carbs in case I want to add something to my day when I get home.

Pretty much this.
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I pre-log a lot and it helps me stay on track. If I have some calories to spare and get hungry in the afternoon, I know I can have a small snack without going over for the day since I already know what I'm eating calorie-wise for dinner. I find pre-logging especially helpful if I'm going out to eat - I do my research beforehand!
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I pre-log when I have to work the next day although I typically eat the same breakfast and lunch with a few slight variations. During the weekend and my day off during the week I log as I go and plan my dinner around that. I'm pretty much a creature of habit for lunch and breakfast, though.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I prelog some things. Usually, I'll prelog dinner and my evening snack, and then I'll know how many calories I have for lunch. It helps me plan so I don't end up at the end of the day with no calories left, but still hungry. Also, having a planned treat for the night helps me stay on target because I know I get my apples and hazlenut butter or ice cream.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Wakey618 wrote: »
    How many of you log your food in your diary ahead of time as a way of staying on track? I generally wing it, with knowing that I have the right foods available for me to stay in line. But yesterday I had to plan out the night’s food so I just logged it as if I had eaten it already, and then realized that this could be a good way to plan out each day ahead of time.

This is my daily routine! I log 3-4 days in advance to help keep me on track!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I always pre-logged when I was logging. Good to have a plan and I always new exactly where I stood with things.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I usually pre log everything.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I often pre log and plan what I'm going to eat for the day ahead, if I don't it can be very easy to go over.
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I like to log the week ahead on Sunday, use that as my grocery list and know that's what I have, that's what I eat.
  • heatherc369
    heatherc369 Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I do it everyday! Except weekends :)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I log as I go on the weekends (if I log at all), but I'm fairly consistent at pre-logging during the week and yes, it does keep me on track.
  • mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I always prelog the next day at least sometimes more. Helps keep the macros where I want them.
  • alohajls
    alohajls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Each night I pre-log the next day's meals. This has been perhaps the single best step I have taken in losing weight. My calorie goal is fairly low, so I want to make sure I maximize satiety and enjoyment--planning is key for this.

If you told me a year ago I would do this I would tell you you were crazy! I am the former queen of boredom grazing...
  • MommaChubs79
    MommaChubs79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think this is a brilliant idea! I am going to try this out. It sounds like it's a pretty successful plan.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Pre planning and sticking to the plan has helped be be successful. If I didn't plan I'd be trying to figure out what is only 120 calories 0 fat and 56 grams of protein and 17 grams of carbs. Nah, that food does not exist.

I cannot eat as I go. Maybe if one simply counts calories, but counting p/c/f I need my day planned
  • deaddolly
    deaddolly Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I tend to plan ahead too, especially lunches for work. It makes it a lot easier.