emotion/depressed eating

So I am working on getting back into shape after gaining quite a bit of weight. My biggest issue at this point is eating when I am upset/stressed/tired etc.
I have a stressful day and I want to eat junk food and read a book, not go for a run and lift weights.
I worked a long shift and got a ton of things accomplished, but the thought of going through a workout program that is going to leave me sweaty, tired, sore and miserable has no appeal.
I know I need to lose weight and take better care of myself, but I feel like using my limited time on myself means that I am spending less time taking care of my wife and my kids and my responsibilities to them, which should be my highest priority.
To be blunt, while I always hear about how working out and being in shape makes your more confident, gives you more energy, makes you more productive, my experience has always been that it makes me tired, depressed and significantly less productive(given that I am taking time away from other tasks to work out).
Ok, so emotion eating and lack of motivation. Thoughts? What do you do when you stop seeing a point to it all and just want to eat junk, get fat and be miserable in peace?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,340 Member
    edited April 2016
    I saw a lady at the gym with this written on her duffle bag, "Move and your heart will follow."

The best thing for depression/anxiety is a brisk walk outside for 30 minutes. Just start, you'll never be sorry after the walk. Take the wife and kids, they'll feel better too.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Been eating for comfort...And tired ness.will do better.