Too much protein?

Options
Is too much protein bad? I weigh 212 pounds, and yesterday ate 300 G protein. Is that too much? Can it effect me negatively? I'm working out 5 days a wel and am always in a calorie deficit, so I figure more protein would help retain muscle while eating a reasonable amount of protein.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    That seems excessive. At some point, too much protein can damage your kidneys. I don't know enough to know if you are there, though. The general consensus seems to be .8 grams of protein per 1 pound of body weight. That's approximately 170 grams of protein for you. I don't think more protein will create any type of magic.
  • NewDeb16
    NewDeb16 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've always heard you can't process x amount at a time but I found this on a website:

Eating a lot of protein can tax the kidneys, which can go into overdrive trying to process and excrete the nitrogen in protein. To compensate for this you must drink plenty of water. Drinking lots of water keeps the body in hydrated and increases the body's recuperative ability to recover quicker. Water aids in the transport of important nutrients to where they are in demand, making the recuperative process easier, faster and more efficient.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy11.htm

Drink lots of water!!!! Hope this helps.
  • PhilTKE779
    PhilTKE779 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    At some point, too much protein can damage your kidneys.

Not true for those that don't already have impaired renal function.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1262767/

"At present, there is not sufficient proof to warrant public health directives aimed at restricting dietary protein intake in healthy adults for the purpose of preserving renal function."
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you don't have kidney problems, there's no problem. Unless your protein all comes from filet mignon, in which case the problem would be that it would be expensive :wink:

Seriously, though, if you don't have a medical issue, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Densans
    Densans Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you are fine with the extra cost (usually protein are more expensive) then it should be no worries, protein got a good satiety to it also and as you wrote you are in a deficit it might benefit you with a higher intake.

During a cut 2.5-3g per KG lean mass "CAN" be positive.
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    To much protein man, the body still needs carbs and some fats
  • TylerWhiite
    TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    jrtocco500 wrote: »
    To much protein man, the body still needs carbs and some fats

My main goal is for fat loss, therefore I have cut my carbs to under 25. I do need some more data though I agree.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    tw807278 wrote: »
    Is too much protein bad? I weigh 212 pounds, and yesterday ate 300 G protein. Is that too much? Can it effect me negatively? I'm working out 5 days a wel and am always in a calorie deficit, so I figure more protein would help retain muscle while eating a reasonable amount of protein.

I also wouldn't get too worried about getting too much on just one day, which is what your post seems to imply. If you are doing this every day for awhile, see how you feel. If you have no underlying health problems and are feeling good and getting the results you want, go for it.

(For the record, I don't eat much protein and am retaining muscle while losing fat. But I am a vegetarian and don't like a lot of high protein foods, so I just do what works for me.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    +1 to most of the above. And you don't want to do it if you can't still get enough healthy fat and micronutrients besides.