Friends will annoy you

Options
It's amazing ever sense I'm losing weight my friends keep telling me you can't lose anymore weight but when I was gaining weight no one was like oh my God you can gain anymore weight people were just like letting it happen the *kitten* is that all about

Replies

• jlcnuke
    jlcnuke Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's "their problem", not yours. As long as you're healthy, that's what matters. Whether they're jealous, don't understand what a healthy weight on you looks like, or don't understand that you're getting fit in a healthy way shouldn't be your problem. Ignore the comments or let them know that you're doing what is good for you (it would probably help to mention doctors, healthy, etc key words if you're going to discuss it with them).
  • Sheri2016
    Sheri2016 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My friends problem is they don't want to put forth the effort to work out and lose the weight so a way of justifying it is to make a comment about my weight loss, I take it as a complement but maybe that's just me.
  • mmovesian
    mmovesian Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was that person for a while. My roommate in college was starting to make better health choices and I felt very bitter towards her for it. I sometimes criticized her methods and would tell her she didn't need to lose anymore weight. I'd try to guilt her into eating ice cream and fries with me (nightly) and I'd get upset when she said no. Thankfully she didn't listen to me!! :) I realized later that it came from me being reluctant to make changes myself and seeing her do so made me really insecure.

I would tell those people know that you're thankful for their concern but you know what you are doing and you're committed to making yourself happy and healthy. Maybe they'll pull their heads out of their butts like I finally did.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Sheri2016 wrote: »
    My friends problem is they don't want to put forth the effort to work out and lose the weight so a way of justifying it is to make a comment about my weight loss, I take it as a complement but maybe that's just me.

nah. i work in an office where everyone professes to be trying to drop weight. they a) don't ask me about it - even though almost all of them knew me when i was 60 lbs heavier b) don't believe me when i tell them how i did it and c) seem to be looking for the quick way and (OMG! OMG!) if they have a cookie, they might as well just eat a whole pizza and a pint of ice cream and start again tomorrow.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's amazing ever sense I'm losing weight my friends keep telling me you can't lose anymore weight but when I was gaining weight no one was like oh my God you can gain anymore weight people were just like letting it happen the *kitten* is that all about

People worry if it seems like a dramatic change or because ideas of weight are distorted, especially if they are used to seeing you heavier. I wouldn't assume there's anything but sincere concern or, sometimes, the desire to compliment in it. (I get "you don't need to lose anymore" all the time, and it's intended to be flattering/nice.)

As for when you were gaining, people think "you are really porking up" or the like would be considered extremely rude and insulting (and that you are aware of your own weight). I happen to think they are right, too -- I would never comment on someone's weight gain.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Wow. Not very Friendly