I need ideas.

Options
Melis25Fit
Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
For dinner!
My husband LOVES carbs for dinner and meat, and I could go without meat, and I prefer not having too many carbs at night for supper. I also need it to be LOW SODIUM!
So, he won't eat peppers, mushrooms, broccoli and I don't really want pasta.
We've done salads, burgers, and chicken up the wazoo lately, and would prefer to stay away from that too.
I searched the forums, and haven't found many great ideas, so please if you have any suggestions, here's the place to put it!
Thanks!

Replies

• EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Gee that's going to be hard :) Perhaps you could try some sort of Moroccan inspired dish based on rice or cous cous? Of course it depends what you have in the house as well!!
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    tacos? fajitas? fish and rice? make a casserole? Chilli is always a good one if you make it from scratch of course so you can judge the amount of salt and fat going into your meal.

How about a nice stirfry? Very low fat and he can have some meat in his and you can have veg or tofu or prawns? x
  • campb2ti
    campb2ti Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    what about a cold veggie soup? you can use fresh veggies and its something new and healthy!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Will he eat Cabbage? I use the filling from this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stuffed-Peppers-with-Turkey-and-Vegetables/Detail.aspx and make Cabbage rolls. You could leave out the mushrooms since he doesn't like them, and add some pre-cooked brown rice for him. This recipe makes a TON of cabbage rolls... and the leftovers freeze well for lunches later.
  • Timmys_Girl
    Timmys_Girl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ingredients: Bok choy cabbage/beans (I use kidney beans) cook and then mash kidney beans and add a dash of balsamic vinegar and a dash of mustard and stir up...you can season it how ever you wish (use fresh herbs in it for flavor minus salt) cook the bok choy and then roll the beans up in the cabbage...delicious...I will spunk it up and fill the roll with diced tomatoes or anything healthy...making cabbage rolls is so healthy and you can make your husband happy by cooking up some ground beef so he can roll that up...so yummy!
  • Timmys_Girl
    Timmys_Girl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great minds think alike...ha! Cabbage rolls are great!
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    What about fish? I'm trying to incorporate more into our diet as well. Also, our local market will offer buffalo which is lean and very good. A nice alternative sometimes.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I found a non-meat chili that my whole family actually ate and liked. I'm not at home right now, but I'll find it and send it to you if you like - it's from a book so I don't think I can add it here?
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    While I'm thinking about it. The nights when I really don't know what to cook or are short on time - I grab a pizza crust (I keep 6" ones in the freezer) put out ingredients on the table and every one makes their own. You could make yours all veggie and hubby can pile on the meat and cheese! My boys love it. If it's too hot to set the overn - use the BBQ.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    OK - hear me out and see what you can make with it... I recently saw Bush's Fiesta Black Beans at the store and I was determined to make it myself rather than trying to swallow the 580mg of sodium per serviing!

So I bought some stuff:

2-16 ounce bags of dry black beans
    1 small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
    1 bottle of World Table Roasted Tomato Chipotle Roja Salsa
    8 TBSP. Herdez Salsa Verde (about 1/3 of the jar)
    About 5 good shakes (4 tsp) Chipotle Tabasco Pepper Sauce
    3.25 Cup - Any Tomato Sauce (I used Great Value)
    4 slices (cooked) Turkey Bacon - cut into small pieces

I soaked the black beans for 24 hours and then put all the ingredients plus about 5 cups of water into my crock pot. I put it on low and let it cook for just shy of 24 hours.

Oh my, how wonderful! Using the ingredients above it made 32-100 gram servings, each serving having 72 calories.

I have been using this as a mix with jasmine rice for black beans and rice. I have been using it as the base for tacos. I have ground it up and used it in my turkey burger mixture.

I think I'm going to cook up some ground turkey today and add in a few servings of the beans to make a wonderful black bean chili!

I originally thought I would add corn and diced peppers to it to make it just like the Bush's Beans canned product but I'm loving it just the way it is... maybe for a side dish I'll do that for a picnic I have coming up next week. 32 servings will last me quite some time! :happy: