Low calorie, low fat foods that curb hunger

Options
I hate feeling hungry but I need to lose 10 lbs. What are some foods that you can eat less and still feel full? I've heard almonds but I don't know what else.

Thank you!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Add tons of vegetables to everything. So many dinners can become a salad if you throw them on greens. Or add vegetables to pasta to make a bigger serving. Or put some vegetables in broth and have it as an appetizer.

• CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Vegetables. Brocolli is especially filling, I find.
  • louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    U would feel fuller by eating full fat. Anything marked as "low fat" generally has higher sugar/sweetener which can trick u into feeling hungry.
    Leafy greens are best veg wise and broccoli/cauliflower
    But eat real food and avoid anything "low fat/diet" u will probably notice a difference in a few days

Also protein ie chicken/fish/any meat and eggs
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Appetite, hunger and satiety is individual. What works for you can be different from everybody else. But I have noticed that a structured meal plan filled with a variety of nutritious food I like and a good balance of macronutrients (this probably means enough fat and protein, while not too much carbs), and never going too low in calories, helped me stick to a reasonable deficit, and still helps me maintain my weight.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Well with all that's said above sometimes adding a garden salad to any meal helps round out your meal. Also drinking 32oz of water along side your meal will not only help with water intake but it may help make you feel fuller.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I hate feeling hungry but I need to lose 10 lbs. What are some foods that you can eat less and still feel full? I've heard almonds but I don't know what else.

Thank you!

Protein, fat and fiber are filling. But this will be a different combination for different people. Almonds will be high fat & calorie dense, but a few might boost a salads staying power. I add walnuts to my morning oatmeal (for this reason).

Protein is filling for me too, but it's not necessarily low calorie.

If you're looking for low calorie, low fat, then you want high volume foods: veggies, rice cakes, plain popcorn, berries are fairly low calorie. If these are filling for you, it will be because of the fiber.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Fat, protein, and fiber will keep you full. Don't go low fat if you're thinking of losing weight. Almonds are high fat anyway. I was hungry in the afternoon but added an avocado to my lunch. It's made a huge difference. I have 1/2 in my sandwich and 1/2 with 1 oz organic kale chips (also fairly high fat). I loose 1-2 lb every week. Any food that is labeled 'low fat' likely has similar calories as full fat but with TONS of sugar. Compare the labels on peanut butter for example. Low fat leaves you hungry and unsatisfied.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    try drinking a glass of water first
  • MultipleHigh5s
    MultipleHigh5s Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots are fast and easy.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots, cucumbers, low fat cottage cheese (tastes like full fat cottage cheese to me), boiled eggs.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Appetite, hunger and satiety is individual. What works for you can be different from everybody else. But I have noticed that a structured meal plan filled with a variety of nutritious food I like and a good balance of macronutrients (this probably means enough fat and protein, while not too much carbs), and never going too low in calories, helped me stick to a reasonable deficit, and still helps me maintain my weight.

this.. what makes me feel satisfied might not work for you.. for me fat makes me feel full and satisfied.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Another vote for fat here, judicially applied. No more than a teaspoon to a tablespoon. It's the careful measuring that will keep it in your calorie goals. Then fill in the corners with fruits or vegetables.

Leafy salad with an oil and vinegar dressing.

Air popped popcorn sprinkled with melted butter and Parmesan.

Apple with peanut butter.

Small portion of almonds.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Baked potato. Nothing fills me up like one o' those.

Although butter does help...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,177 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your weight loss goal is not too aggressive so you have too low a calorie goal. With only 10 pounds to lose half a pound per week would be about the maximum you should shoot for.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have onion and celery stir-fried with my breakfast, that's sort of bulky. I have at least 2 servings of vegetables with my dinner. That's sort of bulky too. On weekends I add more vegetables to my lunch and dinner. That works to keep me from getting hungry.