Ladies: Gaining before period??

Options
I am not expecting my period for AT LEAST 6 days. Maybe even 7 or 8. But today I weighed in and was far from my expected weight (like so off). I know about fluctuation. But is a 3 pound gain 6-8 days before your period normal? I've been steadily losing. Today was weigh-in day and I know it should be lower. I couldn't possibly be that weight because I've been kicking *kitten* with my deficit and workouts (been doing the same thing for about 3 months, so nothing new).

6-8 days before? Have you ever gained that far from your period? Ugh.

Replies

• Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    No, I usually gain DURING my cycle. But that's just me. It could be a combo of PMS and sodium intake. Did you check that in micronutrients? I hate it when my scale shows fluctuations but I wouldn't stress it just yet, especially since you've been steadily loosing. Luck to ya!
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    For me yes, I bloat up nearly 5 pounds the week before and drop back down once it's over. I've "gained" and lost up to 7 pounds in 10 days (3 day cycle).
  • Babarrosa1
    Babarrosa1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I always gain 2-5 about a week BEFORE my cycle, and it tends to disappear nearing the end. Hope this helps, and good luck! :)
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yep, I gain water weight the week before my period, then it slowly drops off during. Between 3-5 lbs usually.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I gain when I ovulate, about 2 weeks before Shark Week. The weight gain is normal, but not every female gets it the same time. I drink more water and blame my father for "blessing" me with functional ovaries. *grumbles*
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yep I gain at ovulation, then the entire week and a half before the scale is up and I become hangry and exhausted. Scale goes back to normal, and then some, after I start.. it's bs
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There's a wide variety of normal when it comes to your menstrual cycle but, yes, it's normal.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10359984/women-menstrual-cycle-weight-and-fitness-matters/p1
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Oh yes. Before period, good mood, great sex, water retention like nobody's business, often constipation, and good appetite. About a week before, this starts.

Period comes, no appetite, pee and poop twice as much so the water all comes out, deep dragging exhaustion and migraine headache. Bleah. That lasts about the first 3 days of the period, but is worst the first day.
  • sceleratis
    sceleratis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yes. I retain water during ovulation and then anywhere from 2-8 days prior to starting my period. Once my period starts, I usually let go of the water within a day or two. My weight can fluctuate up to 5 pounds. It's frustrating, but it helps to know that it is temporary.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I gain when I ovulate, about 2 weeks before Shark Week. The weight gain is normal, but not every female gets it the same time. I drink more water and blame my father for "blessing" me with functional ovaries. *grumbles*
    Shark week! lolololol

I retain during TOM for a few days, and I can see it going up and down several pounds. Friggin wierdo body.
  • MaGrl523
    MaGrl523 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    3 pounds every time like clock work!
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    In my case the scale jumps up 2 pounds the day before.
  • Sheks41191
    Sheks41191 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I gain on average 1-2 pounds from before the start to just after maybe a day or two after it ends. I am now avoiding weighing myself at that time because I get discouraged easily even though I know what's going on. Sometimes I can gain up to 5 pounds - it's usually gone once it's over with another pound or two of true weight loss.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I always gain exactly 1.5lbs the day before my period. The extra weight is always gone in a few days. I don't really gain one week before though.

In my opinion if you are as you say certain you've done everything as usual then no need to worry - the weight you gained will almost certainly be gone in a few days. :) Seriously - don't worry! :)
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Hormones are a beyotch.
  • sugarlammie
    sugarlammie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I came across this post because It's abt 3 days before my period and I have that miserable PMS feeling inside where it's like your heart sinks for no good reason and you want to cry about anything or everything.. I'm also craving carbs, chocolate and any type of comfort food and feel bloated and fat to the point I don't even want to weigh myself because I can "feel" it (I don't need a scale to tell me how fat I am)..

I know the emotional part is driven by a hormone imbalance and I know it will pass but I'm hoping I am strong enough to fight the cravings and not give in.. It's so hard!

If anyone else needs motivational support add me!
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Yep, normal. I've been nursing a two-pound gain since Sunday and my period is at least 3 days away. Not the first time it's happened.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I've been steadily losing as well and this week had a 1 lb gain since my weigh-in on Monday. :( I know that's what it is. And it didn't help that I've had a hungry day today either. I will stay on track the best I can though.