Prolonged water retention

Options
Has anyone ever had a change in how long water retention lasts?

A few weeks ago I made a post about water retention that seemed to stick around for a long while after a few days of overeating. I was worried, because for me, water weight after a 'cheat' day comes off within a few days. This time it lasted 10 days.

Last weekend I went out and had quite a few drinks, plus of course the snacks that come with it. Such is life and I have accepted days like these happen. However, again, the water weight seems to show a very unusual pattern. I'm retaining more than ever (4-5 pounds) for longer than ever. It's been three days, and my weight hasn't changed one bit. This is very unusual.

My usual pattern was that my weight would be up about three pounds for a day or two, then there would be a quick drop of 1-2 pounds, and the last pound would come off slowly. Within a week I'd be 'normal' again.

However, as you can see, the past few times I went over my maintenance the water weight behaves differently and sticks around for much longer. I can clearly see it as well. My abs are by far not as defined.

So what can cause such a change in water weight? I was very comfortable with my old pattern. It allowed for guilt free cheat days, because I trusted my body it would come off soon. That was the whole point of weighing daily. but right now, I feel cheated upon and even start to worry there might be something medically going on. Especially because I see everybody else reporting that water weight lasts for just 3-4 days.

Some pointers: my exercise hasn't changed (4-5 times hiit, 2 times 8km jog), my diet hasn't changed. Both times I tried drinking lots of water to flush it out, but that doesn't help. Basically, nothing has changed but the water weight. I don't feel sick or have any other symptoms. I don't take meds. I'm not female, so hormones would be less important. Anyone has any ideas?

Replies

• akerra27
    akerra27 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I read something once that said to get rid of water retention was to up your water intake. I was going to mention exercise but you have that covered..was water intake less in those 10 days or about the same?
  • akerra27
    akerra27 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The only other thing I could think of would be the amount of sodium intake after the 'cheat' days.
  • Hawtcookies
    Hawtcookies Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The sodium wasn't any higher than on my other treat days. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
  • Hawtcookies
    Options
    I guess no one else has had this happen before?
    So far, like last time, my weight has been stable at 4 pounds extra. Not even a small drop over the course of days (it's been 4 days now). Usually, I drop at least some water weight a few days after a higher food day. And I know for a fact I did not eat that much (I did weigh my food).
    What could cause this oddity?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    At some point cheat days catch up to you. Going over on calories works for a while until it doesn't any more. You may have actually gained weight. Cheat days aren't magic, and doing it regularly will eventually result in weight gain.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Could you be eating more now? Perhaps you're gaining actual weight with your cheat days now and that's why, you drop the water just the same but you're adding little bits of fat that then take 10 days to come off.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Are you a female? Could it be related to hormones?
  • Hawtcookies
    Options
    I considered that option, and did the math. It does not add up. My cheat days are mostly controlled. Not go crazy on all food binges. Like last saturday I ate a total of 3500 calories. But then the days after I ate 800 (was not hungry), 1400, 1600 and 1600 calories. That averages to less than my maintenance a day for those five days. So I should not have gained weight.

Besides, my cheat days have sustained me for months and months as I was in maintenance. It was always the same pattern. Have a cheat day, my weight would be up 3 pounds the next day. The day after that, it would start dropping down again. Such a huge difference from now, where my weight spikes up 4 pounds, and stays there. It's incredibly frustrating, but also worrying.

I'm male, so nope. I don't think its hormones.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When I retain water due to eating in an out of the ordinary way it lasts for 2+ weeks. I don't see anything out of the norm with what's going on with you.