Running

Options
This will sound really stupid but I really want to start running again and logging it as exercise. The thing is I do not own a HRM and I am terrible at both "measuring" distances and estimating speeds. So my question is, what is a good way to calculate how fast I'm going?

Replies

• marianeo
    marianeo Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about how fast, but a pedometer will tell you distance and calories burned...some tell you in how long...
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend an HRM. It was the best investment I ever made. If you can't, then map out your distance of where you ran when you get home using google maps, and then calculate your speed by how long it took you to run that distance.
  • soxmandan
    soxmandan Posts: 26
    Options
    jogging is usually a good 5 mph, more or less, depending on your height, power walking somewhere around 3-4. jogging at this rate you would hit a mile in about 10-14 min, power walking is upward of 20 min for the mile.
  • mexikana
    mexikana Posts: 3
    Options
    When I didn't have a HRM, I started off at runners world and map my routes, it tells you the distance and how many miles it is. I have about 10 routes depending on how I feel and how many miles I want to run. Then just time your self on the your runs. So my route of 3miles I use to run in 37 mins I now run in 30, so I know I am running faster and running each mile in 10mins. I still put in my exercise here but also log it into my runners world log, because I like to see how many miles I have done for the year :)
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Android phone? I have an app that was free called Jogtracker. It logs your distance using GPS and your speed and pace. I use it and listen to music with it. The calories burned will not be accurate on the Jogtracker even if you set your personal info into it. Mine is never accurate. I have a HRM for calories and I've noticed that MFP is pretty accurate if you know your average speed. I find that I usually burn a bit more than MFP calculates...

You might be able to find a comparable app through another phone model. I think it's nice to have it because I can listen to music and track my miles at the same time.

Good luck!
  • smaem
    smaem Posts: 12
    Options
    Get on dailymile.com or mapmyruns.com to create a route where you are. That way you know your exact distance. Clock your runs with a wristwatch. Figure your mile pace after each run, and under Cardio Exercise on MFP you can log the amount of time you ran at that pace. For example, today I ran 3 miles in about 30 minutes so I logged 30 minutes under "Running (Jogging) 6.0 mph (10 min. miles)".
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    i use the Bones-in-Motion app on my BB. it's awesome
  • meagmatt
    meagmatt Posts: 17
    Options
    You can join Map my run online. Time your workout beginning to end and then map your route on the computer. I bet there is a way to convert it.
  • taricke7890
    taricke7890 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Another option is that Nike has a meter called Nike+ that tracks distance, time, calories burned and so forth. You attach it to an IPOD and then there is a chip that you put on or in your shoe. You can then also log on to Nikeplus.com and track your runs that way too. I have both a HRM and this as my HRM doesn't track distance. Hope this helps.
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Got a smart phone? Use mobile runkeeper.com if you do. It uses the phone's gps to track distance and how fast you go! I love it! You can do so many things with the app... add workouts - kinda like the Couch to 5K... it will prompt you to run or walk, you can track miles, calories burned, etc.

Check it out!

L.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    DONT worry about SPEED!!! Worry about doing it! Start out by walk/run 1 mile (I use http://www.mapmyrun.com). Once you feel good with that, up it to 1.5 miles, then 2. Every Friday - push yourself a little further.

I started this routine and today I hit 6.6 miles! I run slow (10 min miles) but thats ok. I will work on speed later - I am just trying to be able to do the distance.

Get some GOOD running shoes! Check places like runners world or other running sites to find decent shoes. I found that ones with great shock absorbers are the best - I like the air cushions in the heels. I spent about 45 bucks for some puma's at Marshals and they work great - SO - you dont have to spend an arm and a leg to get good ones.

Also, hydrate throughout the day. Eat the RIGHT carbs - like brown rice. The weight will just fall off of you!
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    I use Runkeeper. it is a free app for my Iphone. it is great, keeps up with calories burned, distance, pace, etc. and you can still listen to your music while it runs in the background. You can also save your activity.
  • ursula0601k
    ursula0601k Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have the cardio trainer app. It does all that. I love it!
  • Floricienta
    Floricienta Posts: 209
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Gonna go grab my shoes now!!! :flowerforyou:
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    Got a smart phone? Use mobile runkeeper.com if you do. It uses the phone's gps to track distance and how fast you go! I love it! You can do so many things with the app... add workouts - kinda like the Couch to 5K... it will prompt you to run or walk, you can track miles, calories burned, etc.

Check it out!

L.

isn't it great! you were faster at responding than me! lol
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Just drive, or Google the distance you want to run, then time yourself. For example, if you run 1 mile in 15 minutes, that would be 4 miles per hour. Better yet, there are apps you can download on your phone that track it. Google has one, it tracks your distance and gives your average mph.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I would like to add that I also use Runkeeper on my android phone! It's an AWESOME app!