Get creative with protein powder

Options
Hi,

I have a tub of vanilla protein whey and am curious of some various ways to use it aside from just a protein shake. Want to stay relatively low calorie, but bored of shakes.

Replies

• DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I need this too...
    Will be checking in!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    There are all sorts of recipes out there for protein cakes and stuff like that but I'm a very simple person and pretty much just use it to mix in with cottage cheese or greek yogurt.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with using it for shakes?

Sure, you can bake muffins and cookies with it, but that's cake.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Nothing wrong w/ shakes... I love them... but it would be nice to have other ideas!
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    1 scoop vanilla
    .25 cup cottage cheese
    .25 cup oats
    .5 cup egg whites
    = Best protein pancakes/ waffles out there

Add 2 tablespoons PB for good taste but definitely more calories. "Lite" or sugar free chocolate syrup is good too.
  • NA1979
    NA1979 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You can make it creative, but you'll add extra calories, but I've made my own non bake protein/ energy bars from them. Just added raisin, dates honey and cocoa powder,oh and oats too.
  • kuftae
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Youtube the protein chef
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    • adding it to oatmeal has always been a go-to for me
    • some people have made "icing" out of their protein powder before - add a tiny bit of milk until it's the consistency you like then drizzle over whatever you like
    • pancakes are another good one
    • you could make your own protein bars or protein balls
    • add it to regular baking, like brownies, to help out the macros on your indulgences
    • if you have just been shaking up your powder with water/milk, try incorporating the protein into more creative smoothies (I enjoy banana, spinach, vanilla protein, almond milk and PB2 powder for breakfast almost every day)
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    kuftae wrote: »
    1 scoop vanilla
    .25 cup cottage cheese
    .25 cup oats
    .5 cup egg whites

Add 2 tablespoons PB for good taste but definitely more calories. "Lite" or sugar free chocolate syrup is good too.

I'll try this.
    I tried another protein waffle and it was disgusting, threw the damn things away,...so I don't have high hopes, but I am willing to try! TY for sharing!
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I make protein mug cakes in the microwave. Going to make a protein powder pumpkin cinnamon mini bread/cake thing tonight.
    1 scoop whey isolate protein powder
    69g egg whites
    very little almond or cashew or even regular milk to get the consistency right
    60g canned pumpkin,
    liquid stevia
    zero calorie sweetener, packets
    cinnamon
    baking powder
    Mix well, put in mini bread loaf pan. Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes.
    No oil, butter or egg needed and it stays super moist because of the pumpkin puree. Super low carbs, about 6 grams from the pumpkin(and depending on the protein powder you use).
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I've tried to cook with protein powder, but just makes things very rubbery. :/
  • kuftae
    Options
    1 scoop vanilla
    .25 cup cottage cheese
    .25 cup oats
    .5 cup egg whites

I'll try this.
    I tried another protein waffle and it was disgusting, threw the damn things away,...so I don't have high hopes, but I am willing to try! TY for sharing!

Better to undercook this recipe. They can be really bad if overcooked
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I made a small protein shake this morning, just milk and protein powder, and blended it into my ice coffee. It was actually pretty good. Because it was cold coffee it mixed in pretty easily.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    1 scoop vanilla
    .25 cup cottage cheese
    .25 cup oats
    .5 cup egg whites

I'll try this.

The ones I made came out nice and crispy, just the way I like them, but absolutely no flavor... other than "yuck" , LOL!
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    I made a small protein shake this morning, just milk and protein powder, and blended it into my ice coffee. It was actually pretty good. Because it was cold coffee it mixed in pretty easily.

Yeah I've done that.
    It is good especially for a coffee addict like me!!!
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    I make protein mug cakes in the microwave. Going to make a protein powder pumpkin cinnamon mini bread/cake thing tonight.
    1 scoop whey isolate protein powder
    69g egg whites
    very little almond or cashew or even regular milk to get the consistency right
    60g canned pumpkin,
    liquid stevia
    zero calorie sweetener, packets
    cinnamon
    baking powder
    Mix well, put in mini bread loaf pan. Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes.
    No oil, butter or egg needed and it stays super moist because of the pumpkin puree. Super low carbs, about 6 grams from the pumpkin(and depending on the protein powder you use).

You had me at "PUMPKIN"! <3
  • pickyreverb
    pickyreverb Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Protein popsicles:
    a Popsicle mold set (or Dixie cups and popsicle sticks)
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    1/4 cup protein powder
    1 cup Greek yogurt
    1/3 cup coconut, almond, soy, or cow's milk
    1 tbsp honey

Mix in a blender, pour in moulds and freeze overnight. Great for a post workout cool off
  • kuftae
    Options
    1 scoop vanilla
    .25 cup cottage cheese
    .25 cup oats
    .5 cup egg whites

I'll try this.

The ones I made came out nice and crispy, just the way I like them, but absolutely no flavor... other than "yuck" , LOL!

haha. cooking with protein powder is all about the taste of the protein. Some can absolutely ruin a recipe and give that YUCK! taste. Whey protein is best for cooking. Soy, Pea, Hemp, Vegan proteins all taste like garbage after cooked. Casein and Egg are okay for most recipes. For Brands, i always stick with Optimum nutrition or Body Fortress for baking.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    did a search on google for Protein powder recipes, came up with a fair few

had a quick look, some looked interesting
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I add it to oatmeal for a boost. Also, I will add a scoop to chia seed pudding: 2 Tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 cup cashew milk, 1 scoop protein powder. Shake that up and put it in the fridge overnight. When you are ready to eat, top it with fresh fruit, nuts, etc. Delicious!