In my 40's dieting 1300-1500 cal a day and can't hardly loose weight. Need to loose 70 lbs.

Options
Seems impossible and it's so discouraging when so hungry and hardly no result are achieved. Need support, accountability and friends !!!

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Are you logging accurately? Weighing everything you eat?
    Being active really helps me drop pounds. I stopped walking during the winter and had to adjust my calories because of that. Now that I'm back at it I can eat more/lose faster!
    I know the struggle though, I'm working on eating more "volume foods" like veggies to help me feel full.
    Also you have to give it time!
  • ilndprncs
    ilndprncs Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are you logging accurately? Weighing everything you eat?
    Being active really helps me drop pounds. I stopped walking during the winter and had to adjust my calories because of that. Now that I'm back at it I can eat more/lose faster!
    I know the struggle though, I'm working on eating more "volume foods" like veggies to help me feel full.
    Also you have to give it time!

• ilndprncs
    Options
    I do weigh and keep close watch on calorie intake. But need to walk for sure! Thanks T
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    ilndprncs wrote: »
    I do weigh and keep close watch on calorie intake. But need to walk for sure! Thanks T

watching your calories isn't the same as weighing your solids and measuring your liquids, and ensuring you choose the proper entry in the MFP database for it. Most people under estimate the amount the eat, and over estimate the amount they burn.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    ilndprncs wrote: »
    Seems impossible and it's so discouraging when so hungry and hardly no result are achieved. Need support, accountability and friends !!!

I do not think you're logging accurately. At 1300-1500 cals/day, you will most assuredly be losing weight, unless you're about 5' tall or less.
  • flyingfur74
    flyingfur74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am in my 40's too. Dropped 16lbs in 2.5 months eating 1400 cal. I have about 25 lbs left to lose. For me, it's easier to shed the weight with some form of cardio whether it be walking or playing a sport. It has been a slow process but like they say, " Slow and steady wins the race." Good luck. You can do it.
  • JohnInBrooklyn
    JohnInBrooklyn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A fitness tracker, a treadmill/bicycle/cardio implement of your choosing and a small kitchen scale will be your friends.

First, you need to be sure how accurately you're tracking what you eat. I'm an engineer, can estimate the weight of things just by looking at them, and you'd be surprised how many times I've weighed something only to go 'wow, never thought it was THAT much'. Unless you're eating prepackaged foods (and don't do that for everything you eat, you'll go nuts after awhile), you need a scale.

A tracker will let you be honest with how many calories you're actually burning. Not losing enough? If you've verified that you're eating right and nailed down an accurate caloric intake estimate, the next step is to make sure you're burning enough. I like Fitbit, but there are plenty of options. Get friends there, do some challenges - force yourself to walk more, even if it's just up and down in the house.

Unless you have the luxury of time, like most of us you'll have a hard time trying to shoehorn in some time to work out. I had great success with the p90x3 program, but it's painful and can lose people early on. At a bare minimum, try to have some way to work out in your home when you have some spare time, and just force yourself to do it. Use the tracker, and ensure that simple maths is being met - burn more calories per day than you take in.

Avoid foods you know you have little control over, don't eat junk (different people have different definitions of this, but my rule is - no expiration date, don't eat it). Nothing calorie dense, whether fats or carbs. Smaller, lighter meals throughout the course of the day to make yourself feel fuller. And for the love of God, don't skip breakfast! That's the worst way to kick things off. Takes a minute to crank out a quick and healthy breakfast, and it'll both kickstart your metabolism and keep you feeling full.

Good luck!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and have been on MFP for a year. I've lost 40 lbs, but it's definitely been more work than when I've lost weight in the past. In my 20s & 30s, estimating & keeping a hand-written log, I could get away with about 1800 calories at about 200-225 lbs and lose steadily. I've been from 1300-1600 at various times this last year (started at 240, now at 200), and when I'm meticulous, I lose, but at a much slower rate. However, I was just recently diagnosed as hypothyroid (which apparently developed within the last couple of years) and doctor thought it was great I had lost that much, considering. So may want to keep an eye on that. Bottom line is, it can be done. Focus on your protein & fiber for satiety, as well as meal-timing. I remember being hungry in the evenings at first, but rarely have to "go hungry" to stay within goal anymore. You can do it! :)
  • ilndprncs
    Options
    I have not been tracking my liquid intake though is calorie free. I even round up on some to make sure I don't cheat myself. Salad dressing got me a few times but I now track it or skip having it. Thank you guys. I will definitely take all comments in to account.
  • ilndprncs
    Options
    Thank you sooo much!!
  • candyanello1
    candyanello1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 56. I lost 60 pounds sibce 2010 and in the last 2 years I have gained 20 back! I acquired sciatica 2 years ago (for you younger ones it is a shooting pain that starts in your *kitten* and shoots down your leg). I went to physical therapy for months but could not
    do my exercise routine. Then I started eating wrong when I met my man... hence 20 pounds are back. I have started so many times and failed. I cannot just diet I must exercise. I remember feeling so go 20 pounds ago I want to be back there.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ok so firstly do you 'need' to lose 70lbs or do you WANT to? I know it sounds pedantic but the words you choose do make a difference in your outlook.

I agree with the others - weigh ALL of your food/drinks accurately and if you are using pre packaged foods weigh them too, you'll be surprised to see that they do not all weigh what they say they do and the excess can add up to quite a hike in daily calories. Neither are they very satisfying/filling generally speaking.

You say you're hungry. Are you actually hungry or do you feel that you are going without? There are many nutritious and filling meals that will easily fit into your daily calories and if you eat the right things you shouldn't feel hungry. Maybe you are in fact thirsty - the body/mind often mistake the feelings of thirst. Drink water regularly and see if that helps.

Start walking, using at home dvd's, swimming - anything to get you moving, but make sure it is something that you enjoy else it may sart feeling like a chore which will put you off.

Lastly we will all gladly offer support and friendship but the accountability.....that's down to you!

Best of luck! :)
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    We're a similar age...you'll get there. It just takes time and feels like it takes FOREVER but once you lose a few weeks in a row you'll be hooked. :)

Just keep active. If you can walk then walk...if you need to drive park faraway, every little bit counts (and I just walk because everything is close and it's easier than driving and I park faraway because I hate parking and have depth perception issues that make every parking spot look tiny)
  • easyabz
    easyabz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Have you considered what your BMR is if you cal intake for the day is under that you should lose weight for sure.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    And I forgot the thing I always mention in cases like this- don't be too aggressive with your weekly weight loss goal. 2 lbs/week is rarely necessarily and can reduce your calories to the point you become discouraged and it is unsustainable. Go with 1-1.5, and if you can manage a little more of a deficit on a particular week, or get in some exercise, great- consider it a bonus :)
  • welsh31
    welsh31 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't really be hungry with that amount of calories, I have 1200/1400 a day and exercise every day. What types of food are you eating?
    What's a typical day for you? X