Clicking knee

Options
kalm3
kalm3 Posts: 67 Member
Just started my workouts this week. I started with Chris Powell beginner videos on YouTube very easy so as not to over do it, but now I have a clicking knee. It's doesn't hurt at all. It's just been clicking constantly while doing regular activity around the house. It only hurts if I kneel on it. Should I be worried? Has this happened to any of you? I'm 5'2" 220 so I'm assuming it's because of my current size. Just wanted to know if I can do anything to protect it, or what to look out for. Thanks :)

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    my sports doctor told me if there is clicking or noise without pain, its ok . however , 220 lbs is a lotof weight on your knees, the best thing you can do for your knees and joints is lose weight. But that doesn't mean you can't exercise. If its pain free, keep exercising.
    my knees click and creak until they are properly warmed up, so make sure you are doing warm up exercises and depending on the exercise i wear tight neoprene knee sleeves which help keep everything in place and keep them warm.
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'd see a doctor if it continues just to be safe rather than end up hurting something and not be able to exercise! And remember the best exercise is a good diet you can lose weight simply from eating healthy non processed food until it feels better!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    kalm3 wrote: »
    Just started my workouts this week. I started with Chris Powell beginner videos on YouTube very easy so as not to over do it, but now I have a clicking knee. It's doesn't hurt at all. It's just been clicking constantly while doing regular activity around the house. It only hurts if I kneel on it. Should I be worried? Has this happened to any of you? I'm 5'2" 220 so I'm assuming it's because of my current size. Just wanted to know if I can do anything to protect it, or what to look out for. Thanks :)

I've had an issue with my right knee for many years. It started the clicking and sometimes hurting really bad around the age of 28. I walked a lot for a job back then and believe that's what started it. Plus, several of my family members have the same issue. I was very tiny back then so I know it wasn't the weight I was carrying. I still have it. I hear it mostly walking up and down stairs. Right now I'm 4'11" and 128. I was hoping it might go away but it hasn't yet.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you listened to my body most days, you'd be appalled by the amount of clicking and cracking all my parts make. It's distracting and weird, but there's no pain so I'm not worried.

You mentioned pain when you kneel - so, when you're applying pressure to the knee? Is it just the one knee or both?

I would suggest checking in with your doctor to make sure nothing's going wrong; could just be your body not used to the activity. Maybe take a week off from the videos and do something else, see if that helps?

~Lyssa
  • kalm3
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    If you listened to my body most days, you'd be appalled by the amount of clicking and cracking all my parts make. It's distracting and weird, but there's no pain so I'm not worried.

You mentioned pain when you kneel - so, when you're applying pressure to the knee? Is it just the one knee or both?

I would suggest checking in with your doctor to make sure nothing's going wrong; could just be your body not used to the activity. Maybe take a week off from the videos and do something else, see if that helps?

~Lyssa

Yes it's when I applied pressure. Only on my left knee. It is just my first few days so I'm hoping it just not used to activity. I'll try just walking for now. Thanks for the tips
  • kalm3
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    my sports doctor told me if there is clicking or noise without pain, its ok . however , 220 lbs is a lotof weight on your knees, the best thing you can do for your knees and joints is lose weight. But that doesn't mean you can't exercise. If its pain free, keep exercising.
    my knees click and creak until they are properly warmed up, so make sure you are doing warm up exercises and depending on the exercise i wear tight neoprene knee sleeves which help keep everything in place and keep them warm.
    I have been warming up but perhaps not enough. Even though the exercise are super beginner it might just be too much coming straight from the couch.
    I'd see a doctor if it continues just to be safe rather than end up hurting something and not be able to exercise! And remember the best exercise is a good diet you can lose weight simply from eating healthy non processed food until it feels better!

Thank you all for the tips. I'll proceed slowly. And continue eating as best I can :)
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    A clicking noise or clicking feeling? Clicking noises are normal and are nothing to worry about as long as there's no pain associated with it. If you mean a clicking feeling that means your knee isn't tracking properly. If you have a clicking feeling you should ice it, take an anti-inflammations, and see an orthopedist if it doesn't go away in a few days.
  • kalm3
    Options
    A clicking noise or clicking feeling? Clicking noises are normal and are nothing to worry about as long as there's no pain associated with it. If you mean a clicking feeling that means your knee isn't tracking properly. If you have a clicking feeling you should ice it, take an anti-inflammations, and see an orthopedist if it doesn't go away in a few days.
    Oh dear! I feel like it's both. I hear it but do feel it. Sound likely. I over pronate. Wonder if one has anything to do with the other. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Didn't even know it was a thing. I'll do some reading about this.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My knees are all clicky and crunchy when I do squats, but as they don't hurt I assume it's ok!
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    my left knee clicks too when i squat. there's no pain though so i'm not worried.