Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I haven't really done much reasearch on these devices. I want to be able to track how many calories I burn doing a particular work out. I tried amzon but there are sooooo many to choose from. I need an affordable one that does the job. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar T4 last week and it was on sale at target for $79. I have heard good things about the New Balance ones there too but I am very happy with my Polar so far.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 is a great one. It's very accurate and reliable, and comes with a chest strap which is super important. Do not buy one without a chest strap, they are completely useless and inaccurate. The Polar FT4 is your basic HRM that does the job but is affordable. They had them on sale on amazon last week for around $65 but I got mine for $85. It's the best investment I ever mde!
  • Angela4Health
    Options
    Polar FT4 is a great one. It's very accurate and reliable, and comes with a chest strap which is super important. Do not buy one without a chest strap, they are completely useless and inaccurate. The Polar FT4 is your basic HRM that does the job but is affordable. They had them on sale on amazon last week for around $65 but I got mine for $85. It's the best investment I ever mde!
  • Angela4Health
    Options
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If you search the threads there are bunches of advice about this - itself overwhelming :) I've had a Polar FT4 for about a month and love it. It's ugly, but that's not the point I guess. Also, the chest strap may feel a little weird when you first put it on, but you forget it's there after a few minutes.

I keep track of my heart rate, whether that's in range, and my calories burned. It's also waterproof and you can switch back and forth between settings while monitoring (sometimes I like to look at my heart rate, sometimes calories burned, sometimes elapsed time, and sometimes switch back and forth while I'm working out).

- Kristin

PS: I got mine at an REI with a $20 off coupon and used member's dividends so it only ended up being something like $50. It's worth it even full price though, I think.
  • Angela4Health
    Options
    made*
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I got the polar FT60. It is a little pricey, but it has a chest strap and suggests work outs heart rates based on your status. It gives suggested time frames in the target heart rate zones and tracks it for you. It resets on Sunday night at midnight and recommends a new program on the next workout. Have only had it for 2 weeks so far, but I am really liking it. There are youtube videos about it if you want to check it out first.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    If you search the threads there are bunches of advice about this - itself overwhelming :) I've had a Polar FT4 for about a month and love it. It's ugly, but that's not the point I guess. Also, the chest strap may feel a little weird when you first put it on, but you forget it's there after a few minutes.

I keep track of my heart rate, whether that's in range, and my calories burned. It's also waterproof and you can switch back and forth between settings while monitoring (sometimes I like to look at my heart rate, sometimes calories burned, sometimes elapsed time, and sometimes switch back and forth while I'm working out).

- Kristin

How do you switch back and forth from heartrate to calories burnt? I just got mine yesterday! thanks
  • pooksMS
    pooksMS Posts: 25
    Options
    I have a polar too and it is great! I agree, don't buy one without a chest strap. HRM's are great for accuracy, definitely worth the money since the counters on gym equipment are not that accurate.
  • ursula0601k
    ursula0601k Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I got the polar f4 off Amazon. It was around $60 with free shipping. So far, I love it. It has everything that I want or need.

Editing this to agree that it is not pretty but it is not that ugly. I only wear it to workout.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

- Kristin

How do you switch back and forth from heartrate to calories burnt? I just got mine yesterday! thanks

Use the up and down arrows on the righthand side of the watch once you've started. And thank you, you got me up off my butt lol I couldn't remember off the top of my head, so I put on the HRM and now I'm off to exercise a bit :)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options

a chest strap? how comfortable is that to work out with? I've been wondering about getting a HRM as well, this thread is great!
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT7 & LOVE it. I haven't learned all of the features yet, but just an accurate count of the calories I burn (compared to the crazy estimates of MFP) was worth the cost.
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options

Ditto! Love mine!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

- Kristin

Use the up and down arrows on the righthand side of the watch once you've started. And thank you, you got me up off my butt lol I couldn't remember off the top of my head, so I put on the HRM and now I'm off to exercise a bit :)

Thanks alot!

Your welcome, we're here to help each other out lol!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar Ft7..So easy to use and set up. I got mine for 79.99 off of drugstore.com.

Not only do you want one with a chest strap, but also one that lets you input your age, height, weight and gender. If it doesn't have that, then it's not accurate at all.

Stay away from the Timex Unisex HRM. I had that one and it gives way crazy calorie burns.
  • Angela4Health
    Options

a chest strap? how comfortable is that to work out with? I've been wondering about getting a HRM as well, this thread is great!

completely comfortable!
  • Kinda79
    Kinda79 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar T4 last week and it was on sale at target for $79. I have heard good things about the New Balance ones there too but I am very happy with my Polar so far.

I have a New Balance HRT Fit and I love it. I got it at Target on sale for $56 and it works great for me! I wear it like a watch and while doing my exercises during the calorie count I check my heart rate periodically and in the end it tells me how many calories I've burned. I'm not sure about the chest straps I would think that would bother me but I do know that mine gauges my calories burned by how much I sweat or heat production as well by my heart rate checks during my workout. The are two different types and I would suggest the New Balance HRT Fit and not the Fit +, as the Fit can measure your calories burned and also had other modes like a timer, the heart rate mode (which you check by placing your fingers on the top of the watch where the sensors are), heart rate target zone, chronograph mode and a dual time mode. I love mine especially where I can where it where ever because it looks like a regular watch and still does what I want. So walking anywhere at anytime I can figure out how many cals I burned. :)