Beginner at running/jogging

Options
Right so I've never went running or jogging on my own at all before so can someone help! I'm very unfit and just need to slowly get into it

Any tips or advice would be great?

Replies

• IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Start by jogging 1 minute, walking 3 minutes. After that seems easy, walk only for 2 minutes, then only 1 minute. Next go to 2 minutes jogging, 1 minute running and build from there!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is an awesome program for beginners. I used the Zen Labs app on my iphone and loved it.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Download the Couch to 5k app. Great program that will take the guess work out of running.
  • H4ppyB1rd
    H4ppyB1rd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Depending on your starting point you might like Couch 2 5k app (C25K), Jeff Galloway's method (app or book or website), or Zombie Run (app). All of these alternate intervals of slower and harder to help gain fitness. Initially, I started running and walking with C25k but the difficulty increased too quickly for me. I eventually found the Galloway method which also alternates running and walking but is more personally taylored to your own fitness level, which allowed me to improve a lot. If you're just looking for something more fun to keep things entertaining, some of my friends like the zombie run app. I started from no running and have worked up to several half marathons and really love it. The biggest things I've found to be important for improving are starting at your own level wherever that's at and consistency (at least 3x per week). I'd also recommend some strength training on the side to help prevent injuries, even just body weight squats, lunges, and single leg deadlifts have made a big difference for me although I've add weights now.
  • sarahj95sc456
    sarahj95sc456 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    H4ppyB1rd wrote: »
    Depending on your starting point you might like Couch 2 5k app (C25K), Jeff Galloway's method (app or book or website), or Zombie Run (app). All of these alternate intervals of slower and harder to help gain fitness. Initially, I started running and walking with C25k but the difficulty increased too quickly for me. I eventually found the Galloway method which also alternates running and walking but is more personally taylored to your own fitness level, which allowed me to improve a lot. If you're just looking for something more fun to keep things entertaining, some of my friends like the zombie run app. I started from no running and have worked up to several half marathons and really love it. The biggest things I've found to be important for improving are starting at your own level wherever that's at and consistency (at least 3x per week). I'd also recommend some strength training on the side to help prevent injuries, even just body weight squats, lunges, and single leg deadlifts have made a big difference for me although I've add weights now.

Thanks so much, very helpful!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 years old, have never ever run, and I'm in week 5 of C25K. It is a gradual introduction/progression into running. You can repeat any workout you need to and take at your own pace. In my workouts, my longest interval was 5 minutes as of last week, but Saturday I ran 20 min without stopping plus a few more run intervals during my 10K event! I was shocked I could do that much. 2 years ago I couldn't walk more than 1/4 mile.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Just go out and do it. Keep it easy. Keep it fun. Too many people want to go far and fast WAY too soon, and it is too hard, and the running isn't pleasurable, and they quit -- and they have gained nothing.
    When I first started running, I went around my apartment building, once. Did that for a while, I think. Gradually, naturally, it progressed to twice around, then down the block, etc.
  • wvscubaguy
    wvscubaguy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have run off and on since being in service in the 80s. Key is stay healthy. That means starting slow and gentle increases in distance, time and speed. Also, the right shoes are actually important. Find a running and walking store where they can fit you with the right shoes. A decent pair of shoes will cost less than an injury. Finally, smile when you are running or walking. Good luck!
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    all good advice here, and if you're down for it - start slowly, build up your stamina, and have at it.

me - i started by walking, as most do when they're as out of shape as i was...and then i discovered the bicycle. once i started biking, i never looked back.

i still run a little on the treadmill at the gym if i want a change of pace from the elliptical machine, but i've centered almost ALL my cardio around either the elliptical or the bike at the gym, or the real thing on the bike path, and i love it.

i don't love running so much...but your mileage (and everyone else's) may vary. the most important thing is that you find some means by which to enjoy it. if you hate it, you won't do it.