I'm giving up

Options
I can't do it anymore. It's been 3 weeks and I'm lying to myself now. Working over nights and dieting on a budget is just too hard. No one around me is supportive. I hate being fat but I hate that I can't do this even more. I don't think think it's going to work out. I feel lke *kitten* every day that I'm. It dieting bt I can't afford it and I can't stay motivated

Replies

• marebear31485
    marebear31485 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I rarely have extra money but I can diet. Granted, my diet might not be the healthiest choices out there but they are healthier than before I started. I pretty regularly have the same foods, at least during the week. Don't give up yet! You are welcome to add me. I have an open diary and I promise you I don't eat expensive foods, they just aren't all that varied. I don't work overnights but I do work the evening shift and go to the fitness center at my apartments after work. It usually means I don't get home until at least 11-1130.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    3 weeks is a short time frame to give up by.

Perhaps would be more beneficial to state what things you were finding difficult so people can give some constructive advice.

Or, yes, you could just throw in the towel if you want.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Eat what you ate previously, just less of it, this should actually lead to you having excess money.

What is giving up going to do for you? Sounds like dieting and not dieting are both hard on you but one has a light at the end of the tunnel.

Keep at it, trying to lose weight.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You can do this on a budget.
    What are you doing now that makes this hard & expensive to you? With more information, perhaps we can help with alternatives that will work.
    As for support, you'll have plenty of it here.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If you can afford to buy yourself junk food you can afford to eat less of it. That is all you need to lose weight.

You don't have to eat organic, gluten free, vegan or any cockamamie special food. Eat fewer calories in a day than your body burns.

If you aren't ready to lose weight at this time then just admit it. Other people aren't gonna make or break you. It's a decision you make for yourself. MFP will still be here when you're ready.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Don't give up everything! Pick the easiest changes you have made so far and stick with them. Then add a little bit back at a time.

For example, maybe the food is too expensive, but you're cooking at home more. Pick cheaper meals to cook even if they aren't as "healthy." In this scenario, as you get awesome at whipping up dinner every night and figuring how to make it fit in your schedule, you can look for ways to add a "healthy" meal on the cheap once in awhile. Slowly you will have a set of skills that consistently puts cheap food on the table that also fits your daily goals, and it won't seem so hard because you'll be in practice.

It can be too hard and overwhelming to change everything at once. Celebrate little changes, and look for ways to progress. You can do this!
  • kalm3
    kalm3 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Love the above post by merkavar!! I second it! Don't give up. Think of what you would normally have for meals and add a fruit or veggie and have it with water instead of what ever drink you normally have. Don't buy a bunch of food at once buy just what you need. I've noticed for myself I'd rather go to the market more often than continue to throw away food cause it rots so quickly. You should've seen me today at my farmers market buying one of each thing. Seriously I paid 9¢ for a jalapeño. Lol I almost felt bad for my cashier having to charge so many tiny individual items. But you will find a way around it. And little by little you'll notice the money you normally spend on snacks you'll spend on healthier foods. MFP is here for you so you don't feel like you are in it alone.
    I'm a few weeks in myself feel free to add me.
  • sarahfadell87
    sarahfadell87 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and give up.. You'll never get to know how great it feels to succeed at the small goals.

Go ahead and give up, spend 1.79 on a candy bar, & skip the 2 for a dollar bananas...

Go ahead, give up...

Keep feeling worthless.

Support from family & friends is amazing, but you don't need it to lose weight..

Go ahead and give up and prove them all right.

The best thing i ever did was love myself enough to keep going, when nobody else did.

Nobody can do this but u.

Its not gonna be perfect, but i swear to God it's worth it.
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    LahrysaTebo2015 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I have also been giving 100% of my checks weekly to getting my car fixed so I have had 20$ a week to buy all my groceries. I get my car back friday so I will have extra money each week to do this. When I don't have enough food I either just don't eat or I eat the *kitten* food my roommates have. I CAN do this and I WILL do this. No matter how much I've cheated (not a lot) I still have only had water for three weeks. Oh and my cheat meal I'm talking about was a pork chop & brocolli w/ cheese sauce . But my plan was to make tuna on a whole grain wrap with a pickle but woke up late for work so I couldn't make that. But before a few weeks ago I would have stopped at McDonald's on the way to work and spent 20$ so, yes, I am making progress
    Gaining 4 pounds of the 9 I lost discouraged me and I can't shake it but I still lost 5 pounds so that's a start !
  • wattpotelay
    wattpotelay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, nice to meet u :)
    First, english is my 2nd launage and i'm not good in that :'(
    But I want to say don't give up :)
    U can do that and u can handle that
    For me, everyone said, u r fatty, u must diet coz of, marriage... it'll celebrate in may 8.
    It's so close. I have 160 lbs. How to wear wedding dress. I'm shock, i want to be silm.
    in 2014 i want to slim,
    In 2015 i still want to...
    Now , i want so much... but i love food and cheating the exercises....
    So, in 3 years ,my weight gain more and more
    How could i be?
    Disappointed everyday...
    In 3 years , my family always compare with my sis, she 've 2 child, but still slim.
    She did'nt do exercises.
    She's so lucky
    But i'm ......disappointed by myself
    From this apirl 1st i starts to weight loss
    I eat 1 boiled egg for breakfast and small apple for post breakfast.
    And then in nearly 11, i drink slimming coffee :-P
    After 1 hour , i eat lunch. small amount of rice and curry.
    For dinner i eat 2 apple
    For exercise, i walk
    Now, i can dropped 3 lbs in 5 days:-)
    So, try u r best, u r not alone, i be there and always.

• sarahfadell87
    Options
    And also to add in there, to love myself enough to keep going when i didnt get the results i expected ( i never do, if it were up to me id have lost double the weight by now)

To love myself enough to keep going when all i wanted to do was quit...

To love myself enough to keep going because i NEED to know what true success feels like.

To love myself enough to fill myself with good foods that do different things for my body and my mind..

Love yourself enough to keep going.

It's just food.

You're hungry, and then u eat it for energy and the end result is the same no matter the calories content.

4oz chicken breast= 100 calories

4 oz chicken breast fried= 265 calories

1 cup of baked french fries= 80 calories

1 cup of fried french fries = 187 calories

Same weight, same effects, prepared differenly.. HUGE difference.
  • pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The key to not feeling like crap is eating lots of protein. When I do this the diet is far easier on me - cottage cheese, yogurt and tuna are cheap, easy, high protein main courses. Hard boiled eggs, lunch meat and cheese are easy too - Roll up a piece of cheese and a piece of ham and you get good amount of protein but it's also salty and satisfying.

You don't have to feel deprived or spend extra money. In fact dieting can be cheaper - I just don't eat out because it's too hard to exercise restraint at a restaurant, not to mention too hard to estimate the calories of the food there.

But it's okay to quit too - you have to be in a certain frame of mind to stick to it for the long haul. It took me a lot of years to get in the mindset to stay with it and I still have days where I feel hopeless and consider throwing in towel. When you're ready, you will do it. Don't be too hard on yourself. Now, may not be the time for you.

• sarahfadell87
    Options
    I'd like to apologize to OP if i came off harsh, just wanted her to see what she is giving up
  • Leoess
    Leoess Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Right now, I'm a college sophomore who won't be leaving home until this summer. On top of all the bad choices thrown at me by the school vending machines, café, etc., I also struggle with finding good food at home, as I (the kid) have very little say in what stocks our fridge and pantry. It doesn't help that my boyfriend has a taste for all foods heavy and Italian.

But I still keep going. Tomorrow's always a new day, an opportunity to try again. If I feel I didn't succeed, then I at least learned something about myself: what tempts me into poor choices, for example. Sometimes I feel like giving up, but deep down I also know it's my time. I came to MFP for a reason. I've been trying so hard, for so long, for a reason.

I'm not saying you should copy me. Not at all. Only you know when you're ready to start down the path toward a healthier lifestyle. I'm just saying I understand the struggle.

I vowed not to be too hard on myself until I'm out on my own and in control of what food comes into my space. In addition, I slowly accumulated a mental list of cheap but healthy choices (at least I'm in control enough to be able to take a trip to the store):

- in-season fruit/vegetables
    - bulk bin trail mix
    - frozen veggies
    - eggs
    - yogurt (not my personal favorite, but I like it occasionally)
    - cheese
    - lunch meat
    - cereals
    - oat/cereal bars
    - Do you have a Trader Joe's?

Even "unhealthier" food choices really aren't that big of a deal as long as you fit them into your allotted calories! Don't restrict yourself. Enjoy yourself. Learn to listen to your body and what makes you feel best as an individual. I don't stay away from anything unless I don't have room for it that day.

Please feel free to add me. <3 I'm taking a bit of a break till Friday. I have a doctor's appointment that day and plan on starting for real once I know exactly how much I currently weigh. Till then, I'm doing what I can when I think of it. Try not to punish yourself; that gets nobody anywhere. <3
    -
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Working over nights

Presumably meaning you're free during the morning and day. So what? I work nights too.

That and meal timing is irrelevant so the only thing time might affect is access to a gym or energy to exercise. You can still lose weight through just diet (even though everyone should be exercising).
    dieting on a budget

That's just a silly excuse people love to make. Let's pretend eating healthy foods was expensive and you were limited to bad ones. You could still lose weight if you just ate less of the bad ones.
    No one around me is supportive

It's your weight to lose. They didn't force you to put it on.
    I hate being fat but I hate that I can't do this even more

You haven't given a single good reason for why your weight loss isn't possible. Eat less of whatever you are eating.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Don't give up.

Don't think of it as a diet, think of it more as a lifestyle change, it's easier to accept like that.

Remember the old saying, Rome wasn't built in a day...... :)

It doesn't have to be expensive.

Good luck.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I have also been giving 100% of my checks weekly to getting my car fixed so I have had 20$ a week to buy all my groceries. I get my car back friday so I will have extra money each week to do this. When I don't have enough food I either just don't eat or I eat the *kitten* food my roommates have. I CAN do this and I WILL do this. No matter how much I've cheated (not a lot) I still have only had water for three weeks. Oh and my cheat meal I'm talking about was a pork chop & brocolli w/ cheese sauce . But my plan was to make tuna on a whole grain wrap with a pickle but woke up late for work so I couldn't make that. But before a few weeks ago I would have stopped at McDonald's on the way to work and spent 20$ so, yes, I am making progress
    Gaining 4 pounds of the 9 I lost discouraged me and I can't shake it but I still lost 5 pounds so that's a start !

What do you mean you had only water for 3 weeks???
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    LahrysaTebo2015 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

What do you mean you had only water for 3 weeks???

Haha not like no food only water I mean I cut out soda/juice/coffee
  • swtnan21
    swtnan21 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!
  • chopup
    chopup Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    don't quit sweetheart
    losing weight is hard
    being fat is hard
    you just have to choose your hard