Measuring waist, hips, etc

Options
I want to add body measurements to my progress but I feel like I won't know how to make sure I'm taking the measurements in the same place each time in order to have an accurate comparison. Any tips?

Replies

• thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I use a mole on my arm as a landmark, measure 20cm up from my bent knee for my thigh. The waist I do standing in front of the mirror so i can see the tape measure is across the smallest point. Hips are probably the one I am least confident on consistency but i measure across the top of my of my pelvic line basically.

Its not perfect but it seems to do the job.
  • takobutt
    takobutt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    7ke8ydl4i8l4.jpg i use this to help me
  • kalm3
    kalm3 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Good thing you asked this. I was trying to measure myself and wasn't too sure. Thanks for that chart takobutt :)
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i have the same issue.thank you for the pic.takobutt
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    takobutt wrote: »
    7ke8ydl4i8l4.jpg i use this to help me

Not my thread, but since it's being asked: How does this work if you're "B" shaped, though? I can never figure out where to measure, so I aim for the widest parts nearest where I'm supposed to measure. For instance, I go a little higher on the waist to get my upper bulge and back boobs in, and when I do hips, It includes my spare tire that hangs down. If I measured at the exact spots in the diagram, I'd measure much smaller than I probably should. Am I doing it right?
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Just to add to this, I always worry if I'm being consistent with how tightly I'm pulling yhe tape measure to read the number... :S
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem with "hip" measurement is I have a flop of belly fat hanging down in that area. So I measure mine as, "lowest stomach roll" haha.
  • RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have that belly roll, too. I measure my waist and hips like in the photo, but added additional areas to measure: abdominal (which is larger than hips right now), chest (band size), and more.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I measure waist wherever it is smallest, bust wherever it is biggest, hips and legs wherever they are biggest. Keeping tape measure horizontal, I just move it around to the biggest measurement, except for waist, which is reliably smallest around belly button.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The tape should be snug, not tight or indenting the skin. You should be able to flip a finger underneath it. A device like Myotape really helps especially if you're going it yourself. It has a locking mechanism. You can google it. Make sure the tape is straight in the back too. Hips are the hardest because I
    The tape likes to slip up. Good job everyone on measuring!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I think it's more important to get consistent measurements in the same place rather than match the "official" locations. I use the top of my underwear as one of my "hip" measurements because it's a repeatable location for me. MFP lets you customize measurements and their descriptions (on the website only, but then you can use them in the app after you have added them on the website) and I use those to describe the location, like "belly (fattest part)" etc.
  • natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I use freckles as landmarks for my thighs and arms. My belly button for waist (because that's where it's biggest), and hip bones (they really are there under my fat lol) for my hips. I dont care so much about measuring my boobs because im hoping and praying i dont lose them since I wasn't "blessed" in that department :( It isn't entirely accurate according to the picture above, but it works for me.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster who said, narrowest part of the waist, widest part of the hips and bust. For my hips, I make sure to get my booty in there lol.
  • absentmindedhousewife
    Options
    As a seamstress, I often align my measurements with where the landmarks of the body are.

A hip measurement is the widest part of the butt, parallel to the floor. For me to compare from one measurement to the next, I make sure the tape runs on the top of my pubic bone. Waist measures at the top of my hip bones, along the line of my belly button. Bust is the center of my sternum.

These parts of your skeleton won't move. Use them as a guide.
  • HeathermRVT
    HeathermRVT Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm down 15 lbs and no one can tell so I'm wondering what's actually going on with my body size. I can't wait until I get to the "Wow, you've lost weight!" lol