Lap Banders, Calorie and protein.. intake,where are you??

Options
I am new to fitnesspal, but not new to he weight loss struggle!!
I was banded 12/6/10.
On the pre diet I lost 14 lbs, which was AWESOME.
On the after diet liquids, I lost 7.
again ..AWESOME.
Now that I am getting fills..
I am struggling..
My nutritionist says I am not eating enough calories..
so I bump up the calories, and protein..
and still nothing..
I am working out daily, usually a minimum of an hour, I am a nurse so I'm mostly on my feet for 12 hours..
I did better when I didn't work out.
LOL
What do you eat daily?? calories?
I really don't do much in the form of any breads, I'm afraid of them getting stuck!! I have on occasion eaten crunchy toast with eggs for breakfast.
I love salads with chicken for lunch.
Usually chicken for supper..occasionally beef.
help...I need ideas!!

Replies

• jsoaper01
    jsoaper01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Its still hard to lose. I have had it for more than a year and I have lost 34 pounds but I have to work at it and try. I eat 1200 calories a day and need motivation to excerise.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Not banded, but same diet applies: 900-1100 calories and 80-110 grams of protein and 64oz of water a day.

Can't see your diary so not sure how this compares. Since you are 6 mons out you might need even more calories....close to 1200 might be better.

What did your Doctor recommend....?

Just keep adjusting calories/protein til you find the right mix!

Best of Luck!
  • Waynes_World
    Waynes_World Posts: 333
    Options
    Hello ;}

I started out eating around 800 calories right after I got my band.. Since I have played with my calories intake.. I bumped it to 1000 then up to 1200.. Now I am back down to 1000 per day and I have lost 12 pounds or so this month. I have had my band since Nov 2010 and lost around 122 pounds since my surgery..

I try and workout daily.. I normally burn between 400 to 500 calories per workout according to my Polar HRM.. I hardly ever eat my workout calories back.. I do every great once in awhile only if I am hungry..

I try to get around 60 to 80g of Protein daily.. And I only drink water mainly. I try to drink 1 glass of milk per day other then that it is water most of the time.. Every now and then I treat myself to some decaf tea and Vodka lol.. But whatever I drink it is all added in to my daily calorie goal..

Sodium is a big killer for me also.. I have been trying to cut back on my intake.. I normally stay at 2500 or so but I have been trying to lower that..

I eat alot of fruit or veggies for lunch.. I also eat protein bar meal replacements for lunch or breakfast since I always wake up to late to cook lol... Another one of my lunch time foods is whey protein mixed with fat free pudding..

For dinner I eat alot of tuna , tuna steak , Salmon steak and some chicken.. I was eating lean cuisine alot for dinner but the sodium sucks so I have been cutting back..

Have a great day ;} Wish you the best of luck
  • IOWAlapbanderette
    IOWAlapbanderette Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well I have lost 30 since band day, perhaps its because I don't have as much to lose?
    totally jealous though, and CONGRATS!!
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bump
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I was banded in May of 2010. I lost pretty well - 1-2 pounds a week for a while. Then I didn't lose anything for 6 + months. Finally broke my plateau by upping my protein to 85+ grams per day as much as possible. I try to stay pretty well under 100 carbs per day. Some days you just gotta have something though :) I'm usually in the 800-1100 calorie/day range. I hardly ever eat back exercise calories. I do not eat if I am not hungry. That's what got me where I was.

I am down 75 pounds from my highest weight.
  • landorki
    landorki Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what is working for me.

I am 5'8. Starting weight was 373. In 10 months, I have lost 131 pounds. I lose at least 2 pounds a week. I was banded September 1st.

I keep my Calories under 1000
    I keep My Carbs under 75
    I keep my Protein at least 65 g on a low. MORE id I work out.
    I work out 6 days a week. Weight train Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Cardio Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

Feel free to take a look at my diary... It is public.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    me too!!! TUESDAY 9/1/09 :)
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    i usually hit 100 g of protein everyday. during the liquids and very low calorie period (600 per day) after my surgery i lost a ton of weight and lost it very quickly. i was also very very active exercise wise. we pretty much had to raise my calories to 1000ish to support my activity level and i still continued to lose but not as quickly. basically, i lost 65 lbs in 4 months prior to my surgery and another 50 in 5-6 months after... i am really not sure why you are not losing more...your long work days may actually work against you because i am sure you can't work out/exercise as hard or long before/after a long work day.
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Hello ;}

I started out eating around 800 calories right after I got my band.. Since I have played with my calories intake.. I bumped it to 1000 then up to 1200.. Now I am back down to 1000 per day and I have lost 12 pounds or so this month. I have had my band since Nov 2010 and lost around 122 pounds since my surgery..

I try and workout daily.. I normally burn between 400 to 500 calories per workout according to my Polar HRM.. I hardly ever eat my workout calories back.. I do every great once in awhile only if I am hungry..

I try to get around 60 to 80g of Protein daily.. And I only drink water mainly. I try to drink 1 glass of milk per day other then that it is water most of the time.. Every now and then I treat myself to some decaf tea and Vodka lol.. But whatever I drink it is all added in to my daily calorie goal..

Sodium is a big killer for me also.. I have been trying to cut back on my intake.. I normally stay at 2500 or so but I have been trying to lower that..

I eat alot of fruit or veggies for lunch.. I also eat protein bar meal replacements for lunch or breakfast since I always wake up to late to cook lol... Another one of my lunch time foods is whey protein mixed with fat free pudding..

For dinner I eat alot of tuna , tuna steak , Salmon steak and some chicken.. I was eating lean cuisine alot for dinner but the sodium sucks so I have been cutting back..

You have done and continue to do a great job and work really hard! I am proud of you :bigsmile:
  • Waynes_World
    Waynes_World Posts: 333
    Options
    Hello ;}

You have done and continue to do a great job and work really hard! I am proud of you :bigsmile:

:blushing: Thanks ;} Your great support and motivation helps !
  • IOWAlapbanderette
    IOWAlapbanderette Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh that is SO true, and I work at night while all of you are sleeping.. and you are working out while I'ms leeping..that in iteslf doesn't help at ALL..but it doesn't get me off the hook..lol
    One night at work, I logged over 5,000 steps just running around in between patients, running to Xray etc. I work in the ER, so we do have down time some nights....the 5000 was an exception really...but it can happen.

I changed it up today and did wii dance.
    I work tonight, and the weekend..
    so for the next 3 days my exercisee will be minimal..

Keep it movin'!!
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I was banded in June 2009. It has taken me 2 years to lose 73 pounds. As of this morning, I am finally at a normal weight. I lost about 13 pounds prior to surgery and then about another 12 pounds in the next 6 months. Not a stellar performance. I then joined MFP and have gradually lost the rest, hitting a few bumps in the road along the way. I pretty much eat 1200 calories a day and for the last year, have been at the gym 5-7 days a week, taking a variety of classes including spinning and zumba. I do not eat my exercise calories back. Upon occasion, I have eaten over my daily allowance. This has been a struggle but well worth it when I get such positive comments from friends and relatives. Hang in there, gradually the weight will come off. I swear some of us have a metabolism rate that is very very low.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    Hello ;}

You rock!:drinker:
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    i usually hit 100 g of protein everyday. during the liquids and very low calorie period (600 per day) after my surgery i lost a ton of weight and lost it very quickly. i was also very very active exercise wise. we pretty much had to raise my calories to 1000ish to support my activity level and i still continued to lose but not as quickly. basically, i lost 65 lbs in 4 months prior to my surgery and another 50 in 5-6 months after... i am really not sure why you are not losing more...your long work days may actually work against you because i am sure you can't work out/exercise as hard or long before/after a long work day.

Wow you guys are amazing. You rock too.:drinker:
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    I can only tell you what is working for me.

I am 5'8. Starting weight was 373. In 10 months, I have lost 131 pounds. I lose at least 2 pounds a week. I was banded September 1st.

I keep my Calories under 1000
    I keep My Carbs under 75
    I keep my Protein at least 65 g on a low. MORE id I work out.
    I work out 6 days a week. Weight train Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Cardio Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

Feel free to take a look at my diary... It is public.

I cant believe how great you guys have done.. Amazing!!!!
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    My diary is public as well. I try to keep my protein up near the 60-80grams a day. I eat very little wasteful carbs....can't remember that last time I had potatoes or white rice. I eat a carton of Greek Yogurt every day. My protein comes from seafood, meats and of course Whey Protein. I haven't had a snack item of any kind since March 3, 2011 which was the day of my banding. I walk every day even if it is 20 minutes, go to the gym 2-3 times a week, and do some cardio at home to a variety of DVD's. I drink lots of water, most nights I make a protein milkshake with a cup of 1% milk, a carton of Greek Yogurt, one scoop of UNJURY protein powder, and a serving of frozen fruit (I keep fresh fruit frozen in one serving size baggies) ..this satisfies my sweet tooth and adds to my protein intake. I have dropped 71# since my banding and went from a 26/28 to an 18/20. I rarely snack between meals but if I do, it is a protein bar, an ounce of nuts, or a cheese stick. I never eat back my exercise calories. My carbs are under 100 and most come from fruits and veggies. This works for me.