Wii exercises?

Options
I just have to ask...because I had TOO much fun! Last night, I was "boxing" against my husband on our Wii. Not only did I kick his butt :laugh: , but I was sweating & out of breath by the time we finished. I know we played a good 25-30 minutes! Is it really considered exercise? My arms are really sore from it today.

Replies

• apdoxies
    Options
    I just have to ask...because I had TOO much fun! Last night, I was "boxing" against my husband on our Wii. Not only did I kick his butt :laugh: , but I was sweating & out of breath by the time we finished. I know we played a good 25-30 minutes! Is it really considered exercise? My arms are really sore from it today.
  • spiritdncr
    Options
    I would certainly think so. It seems if it gets you moving it should burn calories. I wonder how many? Nice work beating the big guy in your life :bigsmile:
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    yes...that is actually the intent of the Wii...including the hula hoops, and the boxing, and the yoga. It's a great tool to have fun while working out...really the first of it's kind - now i don't mind so much if the kids are playing video games!
  • Hollychan
    Options
    I would definitely say so. Especially if you've got the Wii fit like my friend. I played a dancing game on it at her place the other day for a good two hours and I was exhausted. It got my heartrate up and was definitely burning some calories.

I love that thing. ^_^
  • spiritdncr
    Options
    I just looked these stats up on the net. Hope this helps...

In terms of which games produced the greatest amount of weight loss, Wii Boxing burned an impressive 125 calories/half hour followed by Tennis at 92 calories/half hour and Bowling at 77 calories/half hour.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/16/lose-weight-by-playing-wii-sports/

Compared to golfing at a driving range (3.9 calories per minute), playing Wii Golf burned 0.8 calories less per minute. Actual bowling burns nearly twice as much (7.2 calories per minute) as Wii Bowling, while baseball burns 7.3 calories per minute and Wii Baseball burns 2.8 calories per minute less. Similarly, Wii Tennis burns 2.8 calories per minute less than the actual game (8.1 calories per minute). Finally, Wii Boxing burns about 3.0 calories per minute less than conventional sparring at 10.2 calories per minute.
    http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/08/01/wii-sports-vs-real-sports/
  • dragonfly81
    dragonfly81 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Sure it's exercising!! Another good video game to play and exercise with is Dance Dance Revolution on the Playstation 2. It's a fun game and you work up a sweat without even noticing that you're working out!
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    i dont know how accurate this is guys, but some info from the net about the wii

i love my Wii!!! lol :drinker:

In terms of which games produced the greatest amount of weight loss, Wii Boxing burned an impressive 125 calories/half hour followed by Tennis at 92 calories/half hour and Bowling at 77 calories/half hour.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/16/lose-weight-by-playing-wii-sports/
  • apdoxies
    Options
    I'd love to have the fit, but right now I try to play tennis & boxing for at least 20-30 minutes 2-3 times a week along w/ using my exercise bike. I have to admit...my arms are so sore! Maybe I get into it too much...or maybe I just enjoyed beating my husband! LOL
  • furrflys
    Options
    wii sports boxing is great and will definatly get you sweating, also wii fit jogging, hula,yoga, and the strength training games will get you moving! I use it everyday for a minimum of 30 minutes. It also is a great way to keep track of your weight and bmi. It beats just sitting around the house while the kid is napping. I just love it.
  • cloverluv
    cloverluv Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have just started Dance Dance Revolution on the Wii and I don't think I have ever gotten as good as an exercise. After just half an hour I am sweating like a pig. The Wii is great for getting you motivated and active!
  • furrflys
    Options
    On another note, It's HILARIOUS to watch someone wii! I can't stop laughing if my husbands hula'ing especially. He thinks It's the funniest thing to watch me on it too:laugh:
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    what the dance dance revolution? is it just out? :wink:
  • alacio86
    Options
    I got one that is "your personal trainer" and it is so good, it creats a profile for you, how much weight you want to lose and what areas of your body you want to concentrate on. It gives you the options to pick how many days a week you will work out and it gathers all that information to create workouts that will help you reach your goal.

I usually go for 30 walks in the morning, but it was too cold this morning, so I decided to try my new personal trainer, and I did for 15 minutes and it work me out!!!!
    and the best thing is that it was just 30 dollars at target
    try it :)
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    what the dance dance revolution? is it just out? :wink:

It has been out for a long time. They have one for the wii now though. I <3 mine! I sweat like nobody's business. I think there is a version for almost all game systems, you just have to buy the mat.
  • spiritdncr
    Options
    I just added some calorie statistics to my blog in case anyone is interested. I'm sure they vary from person to person but they might give you some inspiration to give it a try. I got them from the web so use them as you would any information you gather from that source.

:happy: