What do you do?

Options
Ok so here is my issue. I NEED A HOBBY! I had a baby when I was very young so I basically went from being a child to having a child. All I have ever done was work and be a mother and in my free time I ate. Well I don't want to eat anymore so does anybody have a good idea for a hobby. I am not rich so I cannot be doing anything super expensive. ALL ideas are welcome.
Thank you :-)

Replies

• BeeOlive
    BeeOlive Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    might sound really corny...but I LOVE scrap booking. You could pick a theme like tracking your weight loss journey. :)
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Exercise, volunteer.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Recently I've made running a hobby! But I also love to scrapbook and cook :)

P.S. I love the quote in your signature!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I also like to scrapbook, I can't get enough of my boys' baby pictures!!! I'm also a volunteer at the humane society, and foster kittens. it's great you get to play with adorable kittens and about time they start climbing the drapes, it's time to take them back to be adopted!!!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    It all depends! WHen I was starting my journey I got back into walking (pushing Lenix along for the stroll!) Lenix loved it and I got ME time (for the most part) while doing it, and a bonus workout. If you have a children's museum near you consider a membership! You can enjoy the baby/kids things as much as your child does! How old is your little one? Do you have things you enjoy or are passionate about that arent food related?
  • uniqute1888
    uniqute1888 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    O gee I have so many and my boyfriend now knows my schedule!. Knit/ crochet in winter. Bead in summer. Crossstitch whenever the mood strikes.
    All are soo easy to learn. And most craft stores have reward programs and coupons in the sunday paper. Yard sales are good too to find projects!
    Interested in any of these things I will help you as much as i can.... Websites for free patterns and what-not.

Happy Crafting!
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    you can crochet....its cheap and fun and is a great stress relief....
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    might sound really corny...but I LOVE scrap booking. You could pick a theme like tracking your weight loss journey. :)

Me too. I love it. I have made multiple scrapbooks, baby, wedding, family history, 40th birthday. It gives me something to do with my hands and makes me use my brain to be creative.
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of reading and PUZZLES.... I recently just got a sewing machine so I can make crafty stuff with my little brother as well.

Puzzles are very cheap.... You can find them any where.... garage sales, stores, the mall...

As long you keep keep your hands busy, you will be out of the kitchen... except an occasional refill of your drink....LOL

Hope this helps you and you are more than welcome to add me as friend too

~A
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I like to scrapbook, sew, quilt and make cards and jewelry. You might go to a hobby store and look around. See if anything interest you.
  • thaismoreira
    thaismoreira Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Why don't you volunteer? Education is very important issue and there are lots of kids that need a mentor/counselor/teacher. It sounds corn but you can make a difference.
  • 4jenniferk
    4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have very little time for any hobbies but I do enjoy relaxing so I like to walk/run.... it relieves stress, I get a bonus workout and I get to meet new people.
  • thaismoreira
    thaismoreira Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Why don't you volunteer? Education is very important issue and there are lots of kids that need a mentor/counselor/teacher. It sounds corn but you can make a difference.
    You can talk about your weight lost journey and health habits and the difficult choices we face.
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options

My wife loves scrapbooking. My one-time-office is a bastion of the hobby! We are current in the market for one of the ceiling height corner caddies with the infolding doors. I tell you, we will never, ever run out of interesting paper.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I knit, crochet, take pictures, run. I used to scrapbook, make jewelry, make cards, sew. My hobby is to try new hobbies.
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Here are my hobbies:

- Scrapbooking (seems to be popular in this post!)
    - Crochet
    - Making jewlery (just go buy some beads and supplies at a bead store and let your imagination set free)
    - Volunteering at the local SPCA (cuddling with cats, walking dogs - GREAT stress releiver and it's free!)
  • maggieschuck
    maggieschuck Posts: 174
    Options
    I love to read. Start going to the library or goodwill for cheap paperbacks. Do you like cross word puzzles? You can get books for cheap.

I also crochet. You can find How To on youtube. I taught myself from a book. Now i can do it while watching a movie or TV. Keep the hands busy and doesn't take up much room. Get 1 skein of Red Heart ($3) and one crochet hook ($3). Start with a chain and single stitch.

Puzzles and scrapbooking are great but take up a lot of space to do. I have to compete with kids and kitties.

Now that its summer I go for walks at our local parks and swimming. Im very crafty and love to try things. How crafty are you? What have you tried in the past?
  • mxmandani
    mxmandani Posts: 109
    Options
    Reading rocks my socks
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Ok so here is my issue. I NEED A HOBBY! I had a baby when I was very young so I basically went from being a child to having a child. All I have ever done was work and be a mother and in my free time I ate. Well I don't want to eat anymore so does anybody have a good idea for a hobby. I am not rich so I cannot be doing anything super expensive. ALL ideas are welcome.
    Thank you :-)

I almost hate to admit it, but I spend quite a lot of time getting online certifications and auditing classes for degrees I likely won't ever use. iTunes U has an incredible number of collegiate classes, and they are all free, though obviously not for credit. I am an RN (currently, prior I worked in ortho and sports med), but I have taken the equivalent of an undergrad in philosophy and theology, and all sorts of amazing classes in biology, medicine, physics....

I am not sure if this can be classified as fun or not. Frankly, I usually end up using it on discussion forums like this one.
  • luvmykid28
    luvmykid28 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I love to knit. I started about 3 years ago. I took a class and also found www.knittinghelp.com for great instructional videos. I enjoy it so much that I teach classes now and all my friends have pick up the needles. There are lots of free patterns on the web. I like it because it is a great stress reliever, you can take it with you anywhere, and you get a real sense of accomplishment when you make something.