Binge Eating

Options
For the past week or so I've been overeating daily by...a lot, probably somewhere between 500-1000+ overeating. It always happens at night. Sometimes I work out so it doesn't have that bad of an affect, but it's like every time I see results I got back to where I started. I don't really know why I've been binging so much probably stress from scholarship stuff, my grandparents being on the hospital, my horse that I've had for 7 years is now not in my backyard (she's being trained at a barn I take lessons at) so I guess that is a little stressful not having her here right in my backyard, etc. I really want to stop eating so much cause I really feel bad afterwards to the point of crying and I never cry. My culinary arts class also makes it hard because my teacher forces everyone to eat the food we make or else we get a bad grade. A lot of her food is high in calories and fat and just not healthy. A lot of her food doesn't even taste good, but we still have to eat it. This week we made Mexican food and today we are eating FIVE different dishes all in one hour! We usually eat like this as a class 2-3 days a week, which afterwards makes me think "Oh I already at like *kitten* today might as well just start over tomorrow screw today!" I really need helpful tips or advice. I just want to be at a healthy weight and I'm only 10-20 pounds from that point.

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a lot going on and you are under a lot of stress, which can lead to overeating. Some suggestions are: find something in the evenings to distract you from eating or find a different way to relieve your stress. It can be hard when you may be low on time and energy, but exercise can be a stress reliever and you do get allowed more calories after working out. Also allow yourself some comfort food and log it- fit it into your goal so you don't feel deprived and end up binging. As for the culinary arts class- is there a rule that says you must have a regular portion in order to have a good grade? Can you just eat a sample of the food that you make? Seems that is a reasonable compromise. And it is nearing the end of the semester so as the old saying goes "this too shall pass."
  • emililly88
    emililly88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stress can definitely cause binge eating! The good news is that you're aware of it! My advice is to go out and get some sleepy time tea (extra strength!). It relaxes your mind and muscles. Drink that after a hot shower. If you aren't getting enough sleep it also causes you to crave really unhealthy foods and can lead to stress as well! Maybe even try a different routine especially at night. Sleep has so much to do with energy levels and stress!