Hate exercising especially when it is hot and humid

Options
100df
100df Posts: 668 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Even though it snowed this week I know the heat is coming. Last summer I was so out of shape I sweated all the time whether exercising or not. As I lost lbs the issue went away and I love that! Not sweating is motivating to keep the weight off.

I have progressed since then and feel sure I will sweat when exercising now. Here's my strategies:

Suck it up buttercup
Wear sweat bands to absorb it
Stop being lazy in the morning and get it done before the heat sets in
Drink ice water instead of just cold water
Get my hair off my neck
Wear short sleeved shirts even though I am uncomfortable

What am I missing? What are your strategies to do deal when you hate to sweat?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Swim :)
  • 100df
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Swim :)

I would enjoy swimming but no pool within reasonable driving distance. Thus isn't our forever home. Wouldn't make back the money from a pool when we sell because the swimming reason is short here.
  • tonyebuchi
    tonyebuchi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Get a DVD like Hip Hop Abs and work out inside in the air conditioned house.
  • 100df
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I could try dvds/streaming. No DVD player anymore. Last time I tried my level of fitness was so poor, I couldn't get any exercise because I couldn't follow along. That's got to be better now considering I can walk numerous flights of stails without feeling like a heart atrack is coming. There are so many available so bound to find something I like. Some may even be free. Comcast and Amazon Prime have a lot available too.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I understand about hating the humidity. I moved from the desert to Tennessee. I started seriously trying to lose weight hoping that it would help me tolerate the heat here better.
    I find wearing moisture-wicking, non-cotton clothing helps a lot. (Bras and underwear too.) I also wear it when I mow the lawn or work outside.
    I found a trail to walk that has a lot of trees, so less heat from the sun.
    I wear a visor or hat to keep sweat from running down into my eyes.
    I have my haircut really short, with clippers, on the back of my neck/head. I started doing this when I lived in Albuquerque. It lets more cooling air reach your skin. I can still put my hair in a ponytail or braid to work out, and when my hair is down you can't tell.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    I could try dvds/streaming. No DVD player anymore. Last time I tried my level of fitness was so poor, I couldn't get any exercise because I couldn't follow along. That's got to be better now considering I can walk numerous flights of stails without feeling like a heart atrack is coming. There are so many available so bound to find something I like. Some may even be free. Comcast and Amazon Prime have a lot available too.

Walk At Home, Just Walk or other "walking style" workouts. There is no keeping up because there is almost no choreography. Just start at your own pace, and eventually you will keep up.

JessicaSmithTV has lots of free walking workouts. Leslie Sansone has some freebies too (many more on DVD).

www.youtube.com/user/jessicasmithtv/videos

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Walk indoors- at home, at the mall, on a treadmill
    Workout videos on you tube- lots of different ones for different levels
    Dance- turn on music and dance for 30 minutes, try Just Dance video games
    Exercise in the morning or at night.
    Drink plenty of water.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Even though it snowed this week I know the heat is coming. Last summer I was so out of shape I sweated all the time whether exercising or not. As I lost lbs the issue went away and I love that! Not sweating is motivating to keep the weight off.

I have progressed since then and feel sure I will sweat when exercising now. Here's my strategies:

Suck it up buttercup
    Wear sweat bands to absorb it
    Stop being lazy in the morning and get it done before the heat sets in
    Drink ice water instead of just cold water
    Get my hair off my neck
    Wear short sleeved shirts even though I am uncomfortable

What am I missing? What are your strategies to do deal when you hate to sweat?

I just suck it up. The humidity bothers me so much that running in it doesn't really suck more than standing still in it. However, moisture-wicking clothing is a must so there's no chaffing. And there's no way I would run in sleeves when it gets really hot.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Walk At Home, Just Walk or other "walking style" workouts. There is no keeping up because there is almost no choreography. Just start at your own pace, and eventually you will keep up.

JessicaSmithTV has lots of free walking workouts. Leslie Sansone has some freebies too (many more on DVD).

www.youtube.com/user/jessicasmithtv/videos

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

Walk at home videos are great. I do the Jessica Smith ones often when I don't have the energy for a crazy workout, or when I'm trying to get my Fitbit steps in after I've already done a crazy workout.

Fitness Blender is also a free YouTube channel that has a ton of great workouts.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Basically, suck it up. I hate it, too - we've already been 80+. But, at least I'm not in Houston, where it'd be worse.

Try working out before the sun comes up or after it goes down. Plus, drink some cool/cold water frequently to keep you a bit cooler. I've also found that those paper-thin merino wool workout tops are better even than the synthetic wicking fabrics, though they are expensive.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thin wool is probably the best thing you could wear while you exercise, especially if you sweat. It pulls the sweat away from your skin and cools you slightly.

Riding a bike is great cardio exercise and on a hot summer day, riding at a decent speed creates enough of a breeze to cool you down. I get too warm when I stop, like at a red light, but then once I get moving again, I'm comfortable again.

Then I take a shower and put clean clothes on when I get home.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Do your non-exercise activities without air conditioning, drive with the window open for example instead of with the a/c. Nobody is going to get accustomed to the heat if they spend .5-1.0 hrs exercising in it and the rest in a/c.
  • mysticfun
    mysticfun Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get a cooling towel
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm weird but I love the feeling of the sweat as I work out, the more the better... I makes me feel like I'm really doing something! And then I jump in the shower after...
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Think about what a bada-- you are when you workout in the heat. I live in a warm climate so goes from beautiful 60s during the winter to 90s and 100s during the summer. The first couple weeks at 70s I am like "ugh, what is this" then I adjust. Same with 80s, and even, same with 90s. It's a little dry here too, so I'm sweating but it's usually drying off me pretty fast. When I get a run done and it's like 95 out I feel like such a bada--. Who else would be out there doing that? Obviously the caveat is I HAVE to shower right after. Someone else taught me that about running up hills. Don't think "ugh, a hill" think "yeah, a hill, this is going to make me stronger."
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Think about what a bada-- you are when you workout in the heat. I live in a warm climate so goes from beautiful 60s during the winter to 90s and 100s during the summer. The first couple weeks at 70s I am like "ugh, what is this" then I adjust. Same with 80s, and even, same with 90s. It's a little dry here too, so I'm sweating but it's usually drying off me pretty fast. When I get a run done and it's like 95 out I feel like such a bada--. Who else would be out there doing that? Obviously the caveat is I HAVE to shower right after. Someone else taught me that about running up hills. Don't think "ugh, a hill" think "yeah, a hill, this is going to make me stronger."

Yeah, I spent four years of running in the Southwest. But I don't mind running at all in dry heat, even when it's over 100 degrees. Running in the humidity of the Midwest and East Coast summers totally kills me. But like you said, it feels amazing when you're done!
  • 100df
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I am not going to let the heat and humidity defeat me!
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Come to Michigan. It's snowing here!
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm weird but I love the feeling of the sweat as I work out, the more the better... I makes me feel like I'm really doing something! And then I jump in the shower after...

haha, this!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    We get hot humid summers here too but I'm very lucky that we live less than 500 metres away from a recreational path that runs beside a river. I'll get out and run at 5Am before it gets too hot, cycling almost anytime is good as the motion helps sweat evaporate (and I'll dial back the intensity on really hot days) and hopping in the pool after a run or a ride makes it all worthwhile.

BTW it snowed here yesterday too.....welcome to the new month of Apruary!