Dress size, this doesn't make sense

Options
I am beginning to be a bit frustrated. My starting weight was 194 lbs and wore a size 16 dress. Now, I am 173 lbs and my dress size is 14. I mean, I've lost 21 lbs and I only went down to a 1 dress size. This is frustrating in a way but I am happy that I have progress. Does this make sense to you? =(

By the way my starting waist line was 36" and now 33". I just feel that I should have at least went down to size 12 with that 21lbs lost.

If this info would help I am 5'4" and I exercise 6 days a week. I do Insanity for 6 days and do the P90x shoulder and arms 2x a week in the evening. I am not the type of person who has flabby skin but I am overweight. A lot of people tell me that I have big bones (LOL) that's why my body frame is big.

Replies

• ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    ive figured out all sizes are SO different. i fit in some size 12 jeans nicely, but also can wear an size 8 jean depending on the brand.
    don't worry about the sizes too much and just go by how you look and feel!!
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    Everyone is different and every body shape is different. Don't focus on the dress size not going down fast enough for you - focus on how great you are doing (and I'm guessing feeling as well) and don't let it get you down! You're doing an amazing job! You should be proud of your accomplishment! You're awesome!! :flowerforyou:
  • jetbutterfly
    Options
    I think it does cause when I started losing weight, even before here I was at 296 and a size 24 no I am at 261 and a loose 22. So happy for you and keep up the good work. It will all be worth it. smooches doll
  • uniqute1888
    uniqute1888 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! But I also dont 'show' my weight. I am a solid girl w thunder thighs n all. Last spring i lost 20lbs and lost 1 dress size. For most it takes about 5-10 to see a pant size difference but for me it takes 10-15. It sucks .. I have stopped looking at the scale and started to look at the new definition in my body and seeing less rolls - using that as motivation not my clothing size or scale #.... Keep your chin up... Your doing great!
  • gcineas
    gcineas Posts: 121
    Options
    are you doing strength training at all? Strength training is going to make your body tighter overall which will help you fit in to smaller sizes.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    I'm having the same thing. I went from a 43" waist to now a 36" and I'm in a size 12 comfortably (some are lose). I thought I'd be in a 10 by now as I've dropped 29 lbs. I keep telling myself that I'll get there and so will you!! We just have to be patient unfortunately :/
  • ColoradoCowgirl
    Options
    I had the same problem and was also frustrated by it! I found that the size difference between 18's, 16's and 14's were much great then the differences between 14's, 12's, and 10's.... Like I had to loose at least 20lbs to go from a size 18 to a size 16, but after loosing 10lbs I went from a size 14 to a 12. It is also due to differences in brands, Im always between a 14 and a 12 depending on the store Im shopping at. It can be very frustrating!
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yeah maybe add some toning into your exercise routine, but really 3" off your waist is one and a half dress sizes so you maybe won't have to wait another 21 lbs before you drop another size if that makes sense!! Good luck :smile:
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Sizes vary a lot, even among the same manufacturer, so you may fit in smaller sizes in one brand, larger in another. That said, moving form one size to another has more to do with your body reshaping (losing fatty tissue, gaining muscle) and less to do with the scale falling

And depending on how your weight is distributed, you may not notice a change in dress size for many pounds. I have lost 32 pounds.

I went from a size 18/20 pants at 225 pounds to a 14 at 205. I have lost 15 more pounds since then and have not lost another size.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Every "body" is super different, agreed.... but even the same body can react to different methods of weight loss very differently.

2 years ago, I dropped 30 lbs, and I 'barely' went down 1 jeans size.

In the last 2 months, I've dropped 4 lbs, and I could probably go down the next jeans size, one of these days somebody's gonna de-pants me! :)

The change???, 2 years ago all of my weight loss was from a little pill, barely any exercise and a huge drop in calories.

This year, exercise, exercise, watching calories, and more exercise, my calf muscles are ginormous!!!!

I wouldn't fret about it tho!
  • aslm
    aslm Posts: 71
    Options
    I worked out that I would need to lose about 25 lbs to drop a size
  • Justcallmejenny
    Options
    I'm pretty much the same size as you, and I just got into a size twelve. I was down 21 but gained a pound so i haven't updated my tracker yet. I suggest just keep at it because the 12's arent far off...you can do it! Up your water :drinker: :happy:
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    :) I so sympathize with you. Im 62 lbs down and down 1.5 sizes. (see signature) Now warning I can get descriptive as I describe why this is on my body, and why Im OK with it

When I started losing my belly "flapped" or "hung" so as Ive lost weight my belly has flattened out the shrunk UP and rounded back out, then flattened and shrunk back UP so as Im losing I may not lose size as quickly but I love seeing that "flap" go away. Almost gone too! yay! Also I HAVE HIPS. If I thought I had them pre-pregnancy oh did that hip loosening when youre getting ready to deliver make that issue worse! But I like my hips :)

Now other factors! You are shopping under a new designer/label from your old dresses (all designers have different sizes) there was recently an article on the morning show with a "body calculator" for the perfect jean size & fit for your body and one of the show hosts was in a 2 all the way to a 10 depending on the designer.

You may not have lost in your bust area so when trying on dresses you are having to accomodate your bust not your waist (an issue for me too) and that also goes for hips!
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    I think that yes, it can be attributed to the distribution some, but height is also going to make a big difference in how much your weight loss changes your sizes right away. I lost 20 lbs (I've gained three back, working on that!), but I didn't really go down a 'size' in anything, just my clothes started fitting better. It'll be a bit more work for me to lose any clothing sizes!
  • rmdemattia
    rmdemattia Posts: 26
    Options
    I also have lost 20lbs. I started a (tight) size 14 now I am a loose size 12. I am not small enough to move into a 10 yet, but I am still actively working on my weight loss. Like everyone has said, every body is built differently and every clothes manufacturer sizes their clothes slightly different.
    I hope this helps! Good Luck!
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Are these sizes fromthe same store? Dr Oz did a show on Vanity sizing and it was shocking to see the difference in measurements from different stores. He had 5 examples showing a size 12 having a waist size from 33 - 38 inches depending on the store.
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    well... Idk how tall you are but I was 192 and a size 16. when i got to the 170's I was in a 14. I didnt drop that 14 until I got to the 150's. I was so happy i was out of those 16's!! good luck! your on the right track!
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I find that clothing makers sizes can be off.
    Some things I am this size, some things I am another size. Very confusing and yes frustrating too!
  • kamoira23
    kamoira23 Posts: 193
    Options
    Yeah, I understand. I lost 30lbs and am still the SAME size in all my clothes. I don't know how I've managed to lose weight but no inches. Every body is different... weight comes off in weird places. The one thing I have noticed is that my ring size has gone down... so soon my fingers will be skinny! :]
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I was a 16/18 when I started. I've lost 37 lbs and am now just getting into a 12. To me, I think 20lbs per size is reasonable.