Living out of a Hotel for a couple weeks

Options
Mike02209
Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
Hi all, I travel often for work, and next week I will be on the road again, and will be staying in a Hotel for about 2 weeks. The room has a small fridge and a microwave, so I am trying to plan some dinners that won't sabotage my program. Breakfast is easy, but I am worried about dinner so any tips would be most welcome.
I will be on the beach all day (12hrs/day 7days/week) so I will eat lunch there.

Replies

• Deckhand562
    Deckhand562 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I make ahead four to five dinners on Sundays and this week it's baked catfish filets with steamed broccoli. I can pre portion all of it into the five containers, then just nuke them.
    As far as the second week, I don't have many ideas for foods that will last that long in a fridge, but a rotisserie chicken with steamer veggies works wonders on my busy nights when I can't figure out what to cook for dinner.
    Yay for your spending all day the next 2 weeks on the beach!
  • Mike02209
    Options
    I won't be able to prepare dinners properly as I am limited to a microwave. Long flight so making them at home and flying with the food is likely not feasible. Perhaps you are on to something with a rotisserie chicken and single serve frozen veggie packs. As for the beach, I am working there so not as much fun as it sounds.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I traveled for 3 months for work and had to figure this out too. Is there a coffee pot in the room? If so, you can run water through it and make soup and oatmeal. I bought some microwave Mac and cheese, and made grilled ham and cheese sandwiches on the ironing board. Fresh fruit and microwave veggies are easy.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and some veggies. You can steam the veggies in a ziploc bag and warm up the chicken in the microwave. I always pack protein bars when I travel and have those available. I usually pick up greek yogurt and fruit at the store for breakfasts.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Can you bring a tea pot to boil water (or the coffee pot idea above is great). Then you can make soup and oatmeal, things that don't need to be refrigerated. Can you shop when you get there? Sandwich stuff would be easy too, and you'd just have to keep the meat cool. There's veggies and fruit that you don't have to keep cold, that you can use as sides. We'll be doing this for a week coming up and I have microwavable oatmeal cup and ramen noodle soup cups planned for my lunches. Both of these just need cold water/microwave.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You could do sandwich wraps with microwave soup. (I bet the rotisserie chicken would be pretty good in a tortilla, too.) The deli section of a grocery store has a lot of potential for travel-friendly meals.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    valente347 wrote: »
    You could do sandwich wraps with microwave soup. (I bet the rotisserie chicken would be pretty good in a tortilla, too.) The deli section of a grocery store has a lot of potential for travel-friendly meals.

The rotisserie chicken idea is a great one! I may have to use that one myself :)
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I was out of state for almost a week a while back and had lost weight by the time I got home.
    I brought some protein bars, fruit, and other snacks. We ate at restaurants for many of our meals, I just looked for the best option (salad, veggies, chicken, etc. something filling for the calories). A few nights I got a chicken and potato dish that was very large, so I ate half and took the rest to the hotel to eat later that night. I even had dessert and frozen yogurt.
    Since you will have access to a fridge and microwave, you could find a store and buy some precooked meat and veggies to heat up. Or even prep some chicken, freeze and bring it along if you are really concerned about portions. (Plastic bags travel easier than then tupperware, less space.)
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Definitely scope out the grocery stores in the area. Some may have hot/cold bars or amazing deli counters. Hummus, olives, cut up veggies. Obviously fruit. You can even buy hard boiled eggs at the store along with other salad add ins. Buy vegetables you'll eat more than once and last a while. I would buy a jar of peanut butter..but I love it a lot. A tablespoon with an apple or banana or in a sandwich. Add in a tablespoon to a chili sauce + pct of soy sauce + veggies and protein + rice = delish!

I love the rotisserie chicken idea. Slice some up for a sandwich, add to a salad.

I might invest in an additional cooler for your room if the fridge is really tiny. If you've got a car, you may want to visit the local thrift shop for a cooler or a few kitchen essentials (sharp knife, glass vessel for the microwave)- I imagine many people abandon them after a vaca at the beach.

For your suitcase, pack some re-usable plastic containers, utensils, maybe a glass measuring cup to boil water in the microwave and or ziploc bags, so you can buy more than single serve stuff and pack it for later. Or to save leftovers when you eat out. Think about packing some spices or at least salt & pepper - things you don't want to buy when you have them at home, maybe a few packets of soy sauce or mayo if you've got them. Or one or two servings of couscous. I'm thinking budget as well as food portability, because if you're near a beach, the grocery stores are much more expensive.. for everything. And unless you really like something, you'll likely not eat a whole box and will end up tossing it.

Couscous cooks without a stove - boil water then pour over couscous and cover 5 min. Pre-cooked protein, steam some vegetables and maybe find a healthy sauce to add. (I know nothing of store bought sauces, but there may be a good one out there).

I'm not a fan of instant oatmeal, but that might be an option, or mix up a few servings of rolled oats, raisins, cinnamon & walnuts at home. I cook mine in the microwave every day.. here's where having the glass bowl comes in handy.

Good luck!!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have been known to stop at a walmart for dinner.
    Tyson pre-cooked chicken breasts and a side salad kit (use little dressing).
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tyson-Grilled-Ready-Premium-Grilled-Chunk-White-Chicken-7-oz/33282228
    I think located by the cold cuts.
    + 1 apple for dessert and a banana for breakfast.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Did you survey the places nearby? What fast food options, grocery stores or nearby? I travel 50-75% of the year and though not perfect, I make it work and fit it all within my macros (including alcohol).
  • Mike02209
    Options
    There is a King Kullen grocery nearby, plus its Long Island so there are Bagel Shops every 1000 feet or so.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Ahh, Long Island...it's been a while since I was there. Generally I eat bagels nearly everyone morning but I go for the high protein ones. For the grocery store, I pick up items with high protein or high fiber and they usually have some meals that you can microwave (although I hardly do that). Everything everyone suggested above works as well. The key is to not get bored of eating the same thing (if you are that type of person). The ones I go to usually have their own deli and/or hot food section if I want a different type of hot food. Honestly though, I search online for the nutritional guides for all the places nearby, try to put together a meal that is 500-700 calories with at least 20g of protein (if I have more left over calories for the day, then it's more), and then I go from there. If it's one of those chain bagel places, I am sure they serve meat and salad in the evenings as well. As I am on the road, I usually start my day with morning exercise, so I get more calories for dinner. Nothing is off limits to me unless it doesn't fit my criteria. For the ones that do fit my criteria, I save them off as a meal in the My Meals MFP section. That way rather than trying to figure out what to eat from scratch, I just look at the list and pick based on how I feel that day. That way I don't have to stress about being on the road. I have flexibility.