Dress size, this doesn't make sense

Options

Replies

• lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? If so, are you doing strength training or just cardio? I have dieted MANY times in my life but never really worked out at the same time. I am now dieting and working out with a trainer 3 days a week. I am in a size 18 jeans which I have NEVER been in at the weight I am currently at so the whole muscle weighs more than fat thing I get now. The working out is toning and firming me to the point I can get in a smaller size at a higher weight. Make sense?
  • PinUpMommy
    PinUpMommy Posts: 94
    Options
    That sounds about right to me. I started at 228, and a size 18/20 depending. When I got down to 205, I was at a 16. When I was around 170, I was a size 12. For me, it's about 20 lbs/clothing size.
  • monchand
    monchand Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That sound about what is has been for me. I started out in a size 14-16 oct 2009 now down to size 4 but lost 57 pounds....takes time
  • WitherAway
    WitherAway Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second big Weight Loss Adventure... but I usually went down a dress size every 20 lbs... it's sad, I know!!!
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's alright... I've dropped 12 lbs and I still wear the same size. The only difference is that my pants are looser on me, whereas they used to fit much tighter. But I'm not small enough to fit into the next size down yet. I think I may need another 10 to get there. I wouldn't let it bother me, though. Sizes vary from brand to brand and we all lose weight in different areas first. For example, I've only lost a couple of inches off my waist and hips, but my arms keep shedding inches like crazy. So, yes, I'm losing fat, but I'm just not losing it off the places I need to in order to drop clothing sizes. That'll come eventually.

The important thing is that you're losing and that you feel better about yourself. Everything else will fall into place.
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I think it REALLY depends on where you carry your weight. I have lost 37lbs and started at a size 24 pants and now am wearing loose size 18 pants but my dress size has only dropped from an 18/20 to a 16.
  • tara4487
    tara4487 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Sizes vary a lot, even among the same manufacturer, so you may fit in smaller sizes in one brand, larger in another. That said, moving form one size to another has more to do with your body reshaping (losing fatty tissue, gaining muscle) and less to do with the scale falling

And depending on how your weight is distributed, you may not notice a change in dress size for many pounds. I have lost 32 pounds.

I went from a size 18/20 pants at 225 pounds to a 14 at 205. I have lost 15 more pounds since then and have not lost another size.

i was also a size 18/20 @ 226 now im down to 181 And size 14 so that just shows everyones body is diffrent you will get there good luck ladies
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? If so, are you doing strength training or just cardio? I have dieted MANY times in my life but never really worked out at the same time. I am now dieting and working out with a trainer 3 days a week. I am in a size 18 jeans which I have NEVER been in at the weight I am currently at so the whole muscle weighs more than fat thing I get now. The working out is toning and firming me to the point I can get in a smaller size at a higher weight. Make sense?

I concur....I was at a plateau for a1 1/2 mths of no weight lost but I was doing JM 30 Day Shred and lost a lot of inches (never measured so dont know the exact #). and was able to fit into pants that I couldnt fit before and pants that did fit before became too big.
  • DarkMagicianGirl
    Options
    Yes, I am doing strength training, 2x a week using P90x as my guide.
    are you doing strength training at all? Strength training is going to make your body tighter overall which will help you fit in to smaller sizes.
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i fit in a 12 when i was 149lbs a 12 when i was 125lbs still a 12 the only differance was how loose the fit i prefer the new me thats quite a few inches smaller on the waist and ive seen a much bigger loss on waist than lbs but i do notice my friend whose same height build etc whose in a size 10 at 130lbs my mum is 145lbs and in a 16 trouser i really think its just build that affects the size go on how you feel not what the size label says
  • daisy89
    daisy89 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You know, I started at 160 and was wearing size 12's. They were baggy from the calves, fit well in the thighs, but were tight in the waist.

At 140 I wear my old size 10's still and they fit comfortably.

I think what you also have to look at is whether those original size 16's were tight?

Not to sound insulting, this is from my own personal experience, but there was a point where I simply refused to buy a bigger size than 12 and stubbornly wore a smaller size (quite tightly).

Could it be that the size 16 was tight and the size 14's are nicely loose now?

Oh, and I'm also 5'4.
  • chellawella
    Options
    Yeah, everyone is different, but generally 15-20 pounds translates into one dress size. You'll get there! :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I am mostly in a 12 right now but I do have some 14's that fit me and I've also got a few 10's that fit. It just all depends on the manufacturer I think. Hang in there! You're going the right direction and it will seem like overnight you're in a smaller size.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight in my legs and chest first... then in my waist... my stinking waist was the last to go and there is still some holding on for sure! I know it's frustrating but keep chugging and eventually it will give up it's battle and bite the dust!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I would definitely just concentrate on the fact that you ARE losing weight AND size!

When I started MFP, I was a size 14 at 150 pounds. I am now a size 6, sometimes an 8, and hovering around 140 or so. So I seem to have lost more sizes than pounds. Either way, it can be frustrating. But then again, either way you look at it, we are both losing sizes and pounds!!!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Lost 25 lb so far, started at a size 18. Some of my 18 pants fall off, literally, fall off after I button them. Others, even the same brand, fit perfectly. Others, different brand size 16 fit nicely, and another 16 is still snug. It's brand and cut that determines fit, forget about size. I figure it'll be at least another 20lb before I can even look at a size 14 without it shuddering on the shelf, but my tops are almost ready to go Medium, from xl...

Hang in there, I know it's frustrating, looking at sizes and wondering why the heck they don't fit yet.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to be a bit frustrated. My starting weight was 194 lbs and wore a size 16 dress. Now, I am 173 lbs and my dress size is 14. I mean, I've lost 21 lbs and I only went down to a 1 dress size. This is frustrating in a way but I am happy that I have progress. Does this make sense to you? =(

By the way my starting waist line was 36" and now 33". I just feel that I should have at least went down to size 12 with that 21lbs lost.

If this info would help I am 5'4" and I exercise 6 days a week. I do Insanity for 6 days and do the P90x shoulder and arms 2x a week in the evening. I am not the type of person who has flabby skin but I am overweight. A lot of people tell me that I have big bones (LOL) that's why my body frame is big.

It makes sense because dresses are not fitted by waist measurement. Depending on the cut of the dress, it's fitted by bust or hip measurement.

I'm busty, so I often have to go one size up from my usual size in dresses and then have the waist and hip tailored a bit. Women with lfuller hips often have to do the same--buy the size that fits the hip properly and then tailor the waist and bustline. (Do we really think JLo, gorgeous as she is, is buying off the rack without tailoring? HA!)

Congrats on the loss and on the waist going down so quickly! That makes a tremendous difference in your overall appearance!

ETA: Also, I've seen this analogy posted here before and it makes sense:

If you think of a roll of paper towels and you rip off 5 sheets when the roll is full, it doesn't make that much noticeable differnce, right?

But when the roll is already fairly small, ripping off 5 sheets make a big difference.

It's similar with weight. If you're 60 pounds overweight, 10 pounds doesn't make as obvious a difference in your appearance as 10 pounds would in someone who is only 30 pounds overweight.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Don't be down about it, thats a great loss and a dress size is great.
    Remember clothes sizes vary, shop to shop, body shapes vary.
    I have lost to full dress sizes and a bit, I would say I do lose one every 20lb or so.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with this one at the moment myself.

Size 12 (US size 8 - sounds SO much better!) is too big but Size 10 is too small. I lost 10lb and thought I would have at least fit into a 10 by now :(
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Try losing 50 lbs and only dropping 3 dress sizes. We all have different body compositions. Alot of my weight was lost in the upper body. I'm really slim & muscular up top now. I carry most of my body fat in my lower half. I'm close to moving in my 4th dress size lost though.