Running Question

Options
ambie35
ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
Urg, Im confused. Im wondering if the treadmill at my gym track miles in stead of kms. I have been reading that the "average" 5 k run is 30-40 mins. According to my treadmill even if I maintain a speed of 5.5-6.0 ( not knowing of that is MPH of KPH either) It takes me 50 + minutes to get to distance travelled 5. Maybe Im running slower then I think I am?
What do you guys think?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Most treadmills I've seen are always in miles.
  • mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    i think you are running 5 miles, it takes me 50 to walk 5km and i can jog it in 40 min. Double check with an instructor what the units are, but i'm quite sure it's in mile not km.
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Remember a 5K is 3.2 miles... maybe that will help? I am hoping to be able to do a 5K next year when I get some more weight off!
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    it should be in miles, not unless someone changed the settings to metric
  • ambie35
    Options
    Its 1.6km=1 m,nd the instructors at the gym aren't sure what the machines read >.<

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Guess I am doing better then I thought I was .
  • ambie35
    Options
    also the reason I am wondering in the first place is because Im Canadian,so Im used to things reading in metric in general.
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I've ever seen a treadmill that is configured to km/hr (at least not at a gym).

If you're running at 5.5 miles per hour, then you should be able to run 3.1 miles (equivalent to 5 km) in about 34 minutes and 15 seconds or so...

(If running at 5.4 mph, it should take you exactly 34:31, and if running at 5.6 mph it should take you 33:17).
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Based on what you said, it sounds like you ran 5 miles a 5k is 3.1 miles.
  • Holly_Traveling_West
    Options
    5 kilometers is about 3.2 miles. It seems reasonable to me that if you are jogging a distance of 5 miles on your treadmill that it would take you 50+ minutes.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    On a standard treadmill, 6.0 normally means 10 minute miles, so if you are able to keep that pace all the way through (or at least half to get a good idea), it should take you exactly 31 mins to do a 5k.
  • ambie35
    Options
    yay Im so pleased to hear this.
    So to work on my 5 k run time I have to get my 3.2 distance on the treadmill time down.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    also the reason I am wondering in the first place is because Im Canadian,so Im used to things reading in metric in general.

I'm Canadian too. I have not come across a treadmill in Km
  • ambie35
    Options

I'm Canadian too. I have not come across a treadmill in Km

GOOD! I just had no idea if it was or not. Also have a terrible sense of distance so I couldn't judge off that either.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Urg, Im confused. Im wondering if the treadmill at my gym track miles in stead of kms. I have been reading that the "average" 5 k run is 30-40 mins. According to my treadmill even if I maintain a speed of 5.5-6.0 ( not knowing of that is MPH of KPH either) It takes me 50 + minutes to get to distance travelled 5. Maybe Im running slower then I think I am?
    What do you guys think?

Sounds like your running a 10min mile. (5.5 - 6.0 in 50 minutes)

That means that you would run a 5K in about 30+ minutes.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Definitely sounds like miles. Otherwise 5.5 kms/hr you would be going REALLY slow.
  • ambie35
    Options
    On a standard treadmill, 6.0 normally means 10 minute miles, so if you are able to keep that pace all the way through (or at least half to get a good idea), it should take you exactly 31 mins to do a 5k.

Thats pretty good. I can run for about 20 mins at 6.0 right now,so I will work on my endurance a bit more before increasing my speed up a few more incriments.