Help! I work in a candy store... :/

2»

Replies

• Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Every time you want a candy you could take a drink of water (don't get sick from too much too fast) or eat a carrot maybe. You can also make yourself little goals, like "can I get to my break with no candy?" or "no candy until an old lady customer with huge purse comes in".

Good luck! Stay strong!

I LOVE THIS! Make it into a game, where you can have candy if a very specific rule is met - and then portion out the candy so the reward is small enough not to cut into your calories too much.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited April 2016
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    So, knowing you have major trouble moderating candy consumption you got a job at a candy store and 4 months later see the problem? Sigh.
    Assuming you are not going to change jobs, flat out decide on how much you can consume each day in advance and still stick to your calorie goal. Put it aside in a bag or box. Eat out of that container only. Do not eat out of bins. View the rest of the candy as for you to sell not for you to eat. Don't bring extra money with you.

Ya, I interviewed at a company that marketed chocolate and decided working there would be a majorly bad idea.
  • crumbtinies
    crumbtinies Posts: 29 Member
    So, knowing you have major trouble moderating candy consumption you got a job at a candy store and 4 months later see the problem? Sigh.
    Assuming you are not going to change jobs, flat out decide on how much you can consume each day in advance and still stick to your calorie goal. Put it aside in a bag or box. Eat out of that container only. Do not eat out of bins. View the rest of the candy as for you to sell not for you to eat. Don't bring extra money with you.

I took my job at a candy store because at the time, it was the only job I could find. Better to be around temptation all day than to be unemployed. If she likes her job, which she sounds like she does, or even if it's just her only option right now, don't you think trying to come up with strategies to make it work is a better idea than just quitting the job altogether? At least until something better comes along?
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    When I read the title of your post, I thought "Aww man.. that.. that's seriously tough" and I stick by it. Firstly, please ignore the posts on there that tell you to change your job. I can tell from your original post that you love your job, and if you find a job you love, stay there. Some people may not understand this, because they've never felt passionate about working somewhere.
    A couple of people have made some good points: kids touching the sweets being the one that really sticks out!
    However, in my opinion, I think you'll get sick of the sweets.
    When I was younger I worked in a bakery. My mother would often ask me to bring things back for her and my two younger brothers.
    After a couple of months, however, I realised I couldn't really smell the food in the bakery as much. I was slowly going off the food, because I was smelling it every day. You just stop wanting it.
    It's also like people who work in the Cadbury factories. When asked how they can work surrounded by the constant smell of melted chocolate, they responded "What smell?"
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member

I took my job at a candy store because at the time, it was the only job I could find. Better to be around temptation all day than to be unemployed. If she likes her job, which she sounds like she does, or even if it's just her only option right now, don't you think trying to come up with strategies to make it work is a better idea than just quitting the job altogether? At least until something better comes along?

I'm a nurse case manager and work in a hospital. Every day I have vendors coming in to give us cookies, bagels (my personal Waterloo), and taking us out for lunch. Even when that doesn't occur, there's birthday cake, little goodies baked by other nurses, etc.

What I'm trying to say is, OP could quit her job in the candy store today and take a job in an office and still have temptation around her all of the time. Better to keep the job she has and likes than try to avoid temptation because she can't. OP, decide the amount of calories you can afford after hitting your macros and plan your treats around that. Eating carrots and drinking water never helped me, either, btw, because if I want chocolate, d*mn it, I want chocolate and nothing else will do! :D:D I ended up eating carrots then eating the [insert craving here] anyway, so that was more calories than just eating what I was craving.

I worked in a doughnut shop while working my way through college. I don't crave doughnuts anymore.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    I worked as a barista in college and the novelty of all of the high calorie options wore off after a while. I would let myself have a low calorie drink and convinced myself the fancy drinks weren't really that awesome.

To this day I drink plain tiny lattes, shots of espresso, or black coffee and am kind of a terrible coffee snob. But because being snobby has saved me from so many calories in the years since, I just don't care.

I say stick with it and see if you can find a way to convince yourself that the bulk bin candy isn't actually that awesome. You might get some pretty good coping skills out of the experience. You might get turned off of candy for life. (Ask someone who worked at a movie theater how they feel about the smell of the popcorn.) If you can't figure it out after a while, you may want to look for a different job.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    thats gotta be hell, looking at all the sweets and not being able to eat them.....
  • Alphreia
    Alphreia Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2016
    Every time you want a candy you could take a drink of water (don't get sick from too much too fast) or eat a carrot maybe. You can also make yourself little goals, like "can I get to my break with no candy?" or "no candy until an old lady customer with huge purse comes in".

Good luck! Stay strong!

I really like this idea, actually. I'm the kind of person who thrives with gamification, so that just might do the trick. ^^

Thanks everyone! And to those saying I should quit or change jobs... Nah, I'll stick with the job I look forward to every day, even if some aspects of it are challenging to my willpower/setting back my goals. :wink:
  • terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    Chew gum while you work (if you're allowed to that is) or drink a hot tea, coffee or diet pop.
    For me, I find that strong mint gum helps ward off those cravings and temptations.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Aversion therapy: stick a bunch of masking tape to your arm hair, and every time you put candy in your mouth RIP ONE OFF!!! Lol. Kidding mostly.
  • numbnumbnumb
    numbnumbnumb Posts: 237 Member
    The novelty should wear off. I worked at a donut store for two years in high school..... it was YEARS before I could eat a donut again. Figure out how many calories you can sacrifice to candy, stick to it, and you won't even want it after a while. Hopefully.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    I make cakes for a Living from home , big cakes, cupcakes, little sugar biscuits , macarons, fudge the list goes on.
    Everyone asks me how do you not want to eat it all, because working with it all day long doesn't have that effect on me.
    I got fat from generally overeating, not the cakes.
    I don't smell the sugar or chocolate anymore and my kids are generally uninterested too.
    Also the fact I make for customers, means means I would literally be eating my profit lol
    Now I do like a bit of lemon cake now and again and I am know to try a piece when make a new flavour but it's all worked into the calories.
    Don't give up your job if you love it , just learn control
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    The novelty should wear off. I worked at a donut store for two years in high school..... it was YEARS before I could eat a donut again. Figure out how many calories you can sacrifice to candy, stick to it, and you won't even want it after a while. Hopefully.

I agree with this. I worked at Dairy Queen in high school. Still hate hot fudge.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I have a job where there's sweets around, and i used to help myself to it, and had constant sweet cravings. I'm lifetime sweets junkie. What helps me now, is a structured eating. I eat every four hours now, started up as every three hours. Break down your portions onto smaller ones, so you can eat it within two times. You might be surprised that it will carry you for the next 3-4 hours. Then eat again. For me, having to go long time between meals made me too hungry and my body was demanding sigar in any form of sweets, so eating more often eliminated that and i have no cravings at all. I have sweets at home and at work, with no desires to get into it. It turned out to be a wonderful side effect for me.
  • I used to work at a large retail chain corner store that sold copious amounts of donuts, cookies, brownies, and had a cafe area where they sold breakfast and lunch/dinner meals. So I was surrounded by chips, candy, unlimited free soda, etc. I gained maybe 40lbs after about 6 months of working there combined with life in general.

It all came down to willpower when I realized how big I had gotten. If I HAD to have something, I'd get it, do a bunch of needed work and cleaning around/outside the store and have my treat. I started to substitute bad stuff for slightly better stuff. Does your store sell sugar free candy at all? If so, I'd give those a try rather than the regular candy.

I'd say, strap up your boots and say no to the candy. You're the only one in charge so it's up to you. You're in control and you don't need the candy. You may want but you don't NEED. And like others have said, the novelty does wear off eventually.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    I could never work in a place selling junk food, because I'd end up stuffing my face like it's my final night on death row.
    Good luck to you though...