Maybe I'm not eating enough??

Options
Noticed lately that I don't have much energy to workout in the morning. Not really pushing myself. Maybe I need to eat more calories.. I've been eating between 1200-1400 calories a day. Any thoughts? How many calories are you eating a day?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My morning exercise before breakfast is scarcely 200 calories burned, and my evening meal 10-12 hours before is usually about 600 calories. I don't notice this thing people call "energy". I do it. It hurts. I do it anyway.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I eat about 3,000 net calories...you probably don't want to do that.
  • itstime0810
    itstime0810 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's way too much for me lol
  • itstime0810
    Options
    Thanks Jerome!

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    perhaps you need to eat breakfast before you workout?
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Noticed lately that I don't have much energy to workout in the morning. Not really pushing myself. Maybe I need to eat more calories.. I've been eating between 1200-1400 calories a day. Any thoughts? How many calories are you eating a day?

How long have you been working out? Maybe you're just out of shape.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    What are your stats and goals? You need to eat enough for your body and to fuel your workouts. If you don't have much to lose, just vanity lbs, you should not be trying to lose more than .5lb/week.
    Also, are you hitting your macros?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I found that I do better on a slight deficit than a larger one. Its weird because I actually lose weight faster or more consistently too. I went way low once thinking "I am going to crush this" It was awful, I was out of it for two days recovering.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I would look at sleep first.

If you have had enough energy in the past to work out in the mornings and this is a new development than I would look at other factors not just food.

I am not one to workout in the morning as I do not enjoy fasted workouts. If I do I have a small breakfast before I do such as yogurt and toast and coffee of course.
  • stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Try working out in the evening then.

I personally can't workout in the morning. I have zero energy when I've just woken up. You might be like me.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    The food you eat today fuels tomorrows workout.

Without knowing height, weight and goals it's difficult to provide advice on calorie intake.

I will say, from my own experience, is I need some carbs about an hour prior to lifting. I usually have a greek yogurt about an hour before hand with a small amount of granola mixed in.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

What do you focus on when you work out? Extensive cardio? Heavy lifting? I typically do cardio for 15-minutes per day and lift (very heavy) for an hour to an hour and a half (although the max I'll log is 40-minutes so I don't get too over-the-top and try to eat back exercise cals...I see a green number and feel like I have room for more) and I eat about 1,300-1,400 calories x day. When I was trying to build muscle I ate back exercise calories in addition to that. Am I exhausted? M-W, typically not, but when Th rolls around, I am. This is also probably due to the fact that I'm waking up at 5AM and going to bed at midnight. Evaluate your nutrition. Are calories coming from protein-packed foods and good carbohydrates? Or mostly sugar?
  • itstime0810
    Options
    I usually focus more on strength training. I don't eat fast food or any other processed foods. I've been burning anywhere between 400-600 calories a session and eating between 1200-1400 calories a day.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    no one can know if you need to eat more without knowing your age, weight and height. Hopefully you know what TDEE is and how to calculate it, if not, google that and go do it.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's Maybelline.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Are you eating exercise calories back? If not and if your calorie burns are correct (machines usually estimate quite high) you are netting about 800 a day? That is too low...I know because I'm deling with this issue at the moment...only difference is I don't feel out of power, I feel good.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    There's lots of things you can try to make yourself more energetic: intermittent fasting and high fat diets make me have more energy. Only problem is that if you want to try either of those out then there will be a week or more adjustment phase where you will feel worse.