The microwave stole part of my breakfast!

Options
I know only fellow MFP people will understand my plight. I carefully weighed my 40 grams of oatmeal to bring to work for breakfast. Added my water and put it in the microwave to cook (same as I do every morning). For some reason, this morning the microwave was cranky and my oatmeal bubbled over and I lost some to the evil microwave gods. So my careful measuring was for naught (but I'll keep it logged just the same since I can't really tell how much I lost). Wah!! :'(

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    evil microwave >:)
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    ARGHH!!! I hate when that happens!!! Just as bad when I weigh out some baby carrots and my husband comes by and grabs a few!!! >:)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    dawnemjh wrote: »
    ARGHH!!! I hate when that happens!!! Just as bad when I weigh out some baby carrots and my husband comes by and grabs a few!!! >:)

Oh that's just wrong! Had to explain that to my partner last night too, Uhm no I just measured that!
  • brrrrito
    brrrrito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    dawnemjh wrote: »

Oh that's just wrong! Had to explain that to my partner last night too, Uhm no I just measured that!

mine knows now to ask first!!
  • brrrrito
    brrrrito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i hate it when you measure a tbsp of liquid - like salad dressing - and some of it remains on the spoon, and then when you use it in your lunch some of it remains in the container. i know it's not that much obviously but sometimes those little grams are precious!
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    My usual problem is having all of my food measured out and then my 4 year old deciding she needs to eat what's on my plate instead of what is on hers... I always just give her a bit and carry on, but I already round up my calories and measurements so the little thief doesn't help!
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Microwaves will also steal nutritional value from your food!
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    if it happens alot, put the bowl on a plate, then if any overflows you still have it.
    coalz wrote: »

Ummm... No. You need to go back to high school and take physics again. Microwaves do absolutely zip to the nutritional value of your food.

• coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Really?! I swear I read that somewhere recently. Hmmm... I will research it again
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Can you please cite your source?

(I feel like one of the cool kids now!)

Really, though, I want to know where this info comes from, besides a naturalist clean eating blog.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that this thread title made me giggle...awesome! btw...I feel your pain! When eating in deficit I want to eat every last calorie I put in MFP! No leftovers, clean plate! Evil microwave!
  • Wakey618
    Wakey618 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    LOVE this thread!
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    brrrrito wrote: »
    i hate it when you measure a tbsp of liquid - like salad dressing - and some of it remains on the spoon, and then when you use it in your lunch some of it remains in the container. i know it's not that much obviously but sometimes those little grams are precious!

That's why scales are preferable to spoons :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I hate when stuff like that happens! Also hate it when someone snitches food off my plate! Like, I really do wanna share, but I already logged those calories and I want them!
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Back to the original post... this has happened to me too many times!! i learned that not only time affects the cooking but the shape and material of the bowl. I now use the exact same bowl, exact same time, power etc.

Microwaves do not steal nutrition from food. They do have the potential to break down plastic, which potentially could get into the food... I still use plastic containers all the time in the microwave.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Really?! I swear I read that somewhere recently. Hmmm... I will research it again

Mercola says it... Microwaves are fine, they heat food by using microwaves to excite polarized molecules (water) in your food, which cause the molecules to vibrate faster and release heat in order to remain stable. Microwaves don't have enough energy to actually ionize anything.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    if it happens alot, put the bowl on a plate, then if any overflows you still have it.

Ummm... No. You need to go back to high school and take physics again. Microwaves do absolutely zip to the nutritional value of your food.

Probably read it in the MFP blog.

My hate for the microwave happens when it refuses to allow my popcorn to pop. Stupid machine puts a freaking weight on the bag so the kernels either don't pop or they pop and burn black.
    d2a76b717c9a08c21b18d476789e2562.jpg
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    My biggest sad is Taco's. They fall over on my plate on the way to the dinner table, which isn't such a bad thing. Unless some of my 2 Tbsp of sour cream and 20 grams of cheddar hit the floor.

My husband bought me taco shell stands. I knew he loves me!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    My day is quite literally ruined by overflowed oatmeal. It fills me with rage for some reason.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Not to mention the mess to clean up! I started using a deep, small mixing bowl for oatmeal/oatbran.