Starbucks orders

Options
lightning1404
lightning1404 Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Anyone got this (irrational) fear/ anxiety with making your starbucks orders? My usual orders are either an Iced/ hot brew coffee/ americano but today I decided to get myself a little treat by getting a Sugar Free Non Fat iced vanilla latte, just keep having an inkling feeling that she put in whole milk instead of NF by accident... haven't had a whole milk one so I'm unable to tell the difference in taste

Idk do any one of you get this fear/anxiety that the baristas will screw up your order? I always do hence I usually just stick with my usual black coffee order, cheaper and little to no room for error..

(I'm really really petite and trying to watch my calories so really, every extra calorie counts to me as of right now!)

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I dont make Starbucks orders, because generally Starbucks is a rip-off
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Even if they put in whole milk... Or even if they put in the fattiest creamiest cream ever to exist in the history of the universe, it would matter very little unless you were drinking them consistently. Since you've stated that you generally order otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Do you have the same anxiety when eating out a restaurants? If not, why would you feel different at Starbucks? At least you can see them preparing your drink there.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Cheapest - made at home. 0.07 cents a cup.
    Save over $1,000 a year.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Save over $1,000 a year.

And if OP had posted about being worried over the price of a skinny something something no-something latte, that would be a helpful suggestion.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP unfortunately when we eat in restaurants, get coffee at Starbucks, have a potluck at work, or even go to a dinner party - we lose some control over knowing how many calories are in what we consume. This can be a little daunting, especially at first and especially as people are just starting out and seeing results that they attribute to their diligence in tracking.

It's important to learn though that there will always be variability. Everything we do with regards to tracking CI and Co is an estimate. There are ways to improve the accuracy, sure, but many of us find it helpful to also be flexible enough and reasonable enough to know that a variation in your Starbucks order isn't going to set you back.

Birthdays, dinners out, Starbucks, office parties, dinner with friends.... Those are all going to happen. It's important to fit the changes you are making into your life, not completely change your life to accommodate your new habits...

Tl/dr - Enjoy the beverage, log it and move on.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Once in a while I'll get a nonfat cafe latte (just skim milk and coffee). Once a year I'll get one of those sugary pumpkin ones :)

The times when I've ordered in the store and watched them make it, they've never used the wrong milk. They always write it on the side of the cup. I think this issue would be much bigger for people with lactose intolerance or vegans who really would be more harmed by drinking the wrong milk than a few extra calories, so I suspect they are pretty conscientious.

Do you ever worry about ordering a diet coke in a restaurant and getting a regular instead?
  • rastephens2016
    rastephens2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of diet dr. Pepper and not so much regular. One particular McDonald's messed it up a few times. It was a mild inconvenience for me, but I was more pissed that it could have been a diabetic asking for it and they didn't think to be careful.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I just made a similar topic a week or two ago, wondering if others trust the Starbucks folks to match the nutrition information. You'd know if suddenly your milk had a ton of fat, it's insanely richer.

Yesterday I ordered a straight up sugar bomb from Dutch Bros, the caramelizer. I just got a small and logged a large to help with any innacuracies. And enjoyed it so much. Totally worth having to have no bread with dinner (my choice, and I am happy with it!) I'm just proud that I didn't have the bread anyway ;)
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have had the same fear with coke! lol I order coke zero for a treat sometimes and I am always terrified that they will give me regular coke. I cant really taste a difference so I get a little paranoid!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    ick. Starbucks.

but, shhhhh. They'll take away my PNW residency card.

When I first started losing weight I was very overweight and miserable in every way. I remember wanting to lose so badly that I obsessed over every gram and calorie. That kind of thinking isn't sustainable, and I had to stop logging and weighing myself for a while to get a grip on my emotions and anxiety. It's not healthy, and stress makes it even harder to lose.

I'm with WinoGelato - life is going to happen, as well it should. Eating in a controlled manner *most* of the time is my goal. It's just not possible to do it all the time. A hundred calories extra in a latte is a non-event to me. I regularly eat at maintenance and I'm still losing weight. It's a pattern of behavior over time that matters.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    I just made a similar topic a week or two ago, wondering if others trust the Starbucks folks to match the nutrition information. You'd know if suddenly your milk had a ton of fat, it's insanely richer.

Yesterday I ordered a straight up sugar bomb from Dutch Bros, the caramelizer. I just got a small and logged a large to help with any innacuracies. And enjoyed it so much. Totally worth having to have no bread with dinner (my choice, and I am happy with it!) I'm just proud that I didn't have the bread anyway ;)

This is the right answer! Dump Starbucks and find yourself a Dutch Bros. I'll have a blended ER911, please. :D If I'm gonna blow calories, it's gonna taste amazing!
  • j1k2z3
    j1k2z3 Posts: 11 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am a barista at Starbucks, and you'd be able to tell the difference really easily. Is it super light and creamy looking or is it a yummy brown (almost caramel) color? the lighter the coffee, the heavier the milk used.

we always make the drink as marked on the cup. If the cashier wrote it wrong, we unfortunately make it wrong
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the appeal of Starbucks. It is a glorified milkshake shop.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Save over $1,000 a year.

And if OP had posted about being worried over the price of a skinny something something no-something latte, that would be a helpful suggestion.

That part
  • klund13
    klund13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I worry about it sometimes, but I only go like twice a month so it is no biggie. My drink of choice is a grande mocha frapp with nonfat milk and no whip.
  • julyrunner
    julyrunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I typically order nonfat cappuccinos, but if I'm getting plain coffee I'll put in whole milk. You can really taste the difference between the two, steamed or not. Also, the calories at Starbucks are mostly in sugary flavor syrups, whipped cream, etc.; like others said I wouldn't worry too much about the milk.

I worked at Starbucks in college, a gazillion years ago. The culture of standardization, quality control, and customer experience is very high - and baristas buy into it. I think they generally do really want to make you happy.

I always worry about Diet Coke in soda fountains :). But I'm pretty sure I would know.