Exercising and dieting slow loss

Options
Hi all so when I dieted alone the pounds where dropping of me this time around I am healthy eating and exercising 5x a week 25 minutes a day burning between 300 and 500 calories per day my calorie intake is 1300 a day. The last 2 weeks I've been loosing really slow like 1lbs a week now I know it's still a loss but on just doting alone I would loose between 1.5lbs and 3lbs per week I just don't understand I'm quiet a big girl weighing 107kg help please

Replies

• tinawilldoitthistime
    tinawilldoitthistime Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Dieting**
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    It's pretty normal to drop a lot of weight at the outset. A lot of that will be water weight. A one pound a week loss is good. Losing more than that in a week makes it harder to retain muscle mass while in a caloric deficit. You want to hold onto your muscle as that's what's going to keep the weight off over the long haul. Be consistent, keep that going and you'll do great.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Muscles holding on to water needed for repair. Just keep the calorie deficit going. It will get back to normal
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    When you first start dieting in general you lose a lot of weight initially...you drop a lot of water weight and weight from the waste in your system, etc. As you continue to diet, things just slow down in general, irrelevant of exercise...I think you're making a spurious correlation there that it's the exercise...I think in reality you're just seeing the natural slowing of the process.

I would also add that when you exercise, you do retain more water which can do funny things to the scale. Mind you, this is a good thing...it means you are working and your body is recovering from exercise...you need the extra fluid retention for recovery and repair.
  • tinawilldoitthistime
    Options
    Thanks for replies but...I gained all my previous 4 stone I had lost so I'm like starting over I lost 5 stone just threw diet alone but this time round I am dieting plus exercising how long does this water hold onto my muscles?
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    What are you doing? Cardio, weight training, or both? Are you sure you are accurately tracking your calories? If you are not, you may be consuming more then you think.
  • tinawilldoitthistime
    Options
    It's shaun t t25 there's a mixture of cardio lower legs abs etc and yes I track everything.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Water retention usually occurs if you're lifting and you damage your muscle fibers. The extra fluid is pumped there to facilitate the repair process. Women have wider shifts in water weight than men, depending on the time of month and diet. The more sodium you ingest, the more water you'll retain. If you're seeing a consistent loss, then I wouldn't worry too much. What you're doing is working. It's when you plateau (stop seeing any loss at all) is when you need to re-evaluate your eating and/or exercise and adjust to get it going again. You can loose weight just by controlling your diet, which is fine, buy I always recommend adding in some sort of progressive load strength training program to hold onto or build muscle. Otherwise, you may loose the weight but you might just end up "skinny fat". That is a high fat to muscle ratio but within your weight guidelines.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies but...I gained all my previous 4 stone I had lost so I'm like starting over I lost 5 stone just threw diet alone but this time round I am dieting plus exercising how long does this water hold onto my muscles?

If you're working out, you're always going to have water retention...that means your body is functioning properly. It's not fat...so why worry about it...there's more than just numbers on the scale.

Like, I'm in maintenance and workout regularly...when I do, I'm about 182-185. When I take a rest week or go on vacation or something I'll come in around 178-180. I don't look any different or anything like that...I'm just holding onto less water when I'm sitting my *kitten* on the beach.
  • tinawilldoitthistime
    Options
    That's great guys thanks a lot for all that info will just keep going and hopefully my clothes will start to shrink!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Well, as others have said. You are going to drop a lot of water weight initially. If you continue to see a significant weight loss over time. Then you are most likely loosing muscle mass. Which you do not want. The more lean mass you have, the more efficiently you will burn fat. One pound a week is a healthy weight loss. It takes time. It took some people two years plus to reach their overall goal. Lastly, body weight can be deceiving. You can do things like measuring your waist and hips. Or if you can, have a body fat percentage test done. I'm dropping weight slowly now, but I'm gaining lean muscle at the same time. I go more off of my waist size, then actual weight. I measure my body fat percentage about every two weeks. Keep on track, and you will see the results.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale?

How do you know the calorie burn numbers you are using are accurate?
  • tinawilldoitthistime
    Options
    I use the t25 site u put ur weight in and which intensity and it gives you calories burnt