Money saving tips

Options
What are some cheap meals and good ways to save money while eating healthy?

I previously wrote a post that I regret. I do want to do this. I need to do this. I love when I feel healthy and I can't wait to see what I look like thinner.

Replies

• thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I found when I first started my grocery bill seemed hug but then I was only shopping once a week now instead of 3-4 times so less opportunity for extras to get thrown in so while it seem higher it probably wasnt.

Repeat meals frequently so if you have to buy breadcrumbs for just one dish you use it (probably not a great example but you get the idea).

My biggest saver is doing a cookup, yes its expensive to begin with but you can get so many meals. I bought a stack of takeaway containers and will cook a large spaghetti/stew/curry and freeze the left overs. If the recipe calls for steam side veg I put the fresh veg in without steaming and freeze. Then I have heaps of quick meals to grab and it saves me heaps in buying lunch or takeaway cause no one wants to cook. Plus that way you use up that specific ingredient you purchased but you arent stuck eating the same meal 3 days in a row.

If you dont want to do a big cookup, then cook 1-2 extra serving each time you cook and freeze those soon you will get a nice stash of meals. We did a couple of extra large meals over a few days last week and I ended up with 16 frozen meals which I mostly take for lunches. Next week we can cook up different stuff and it will add to my selection. Or if I have a week where I dont have much cash due to an unexpected bill/expense then I can scrimp on the shopping and use some of my stockpile.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hi Lahrysa,
    It might be useful to know more about your situation. Have you got access to a fridge? Freezer? Cooker? (These are not sarcastic questions at all - lots of people don't have access to some or all of those things, and it makes eating on a budget more difficult). Are you cooking only for yourself, or for a family? If you are taking your lunches to work, is there anywhere to heat food up and/or or store in the fridge?

Couple of things that come to mind that could be applicable regardless of your specific situation:
    - don't think that you need to but any special foods because you are on a diet. If anything, eating a variety of foods but in moderation is a great skill to learn
    - There are cheap foods that taste delicious. I overspent money a bit around Easter, so my work lunches since have been tubs of homemade dhal - lentils, tinned tomato, a bit of oil and curry spice. Rice, beans, cabbage, lettuce, carrots, bananas, frozen veg and meat, pasta, are all reasonably cheap. Frozen items and items that can be stored in the cupboard are also good because you can buy in bulk
    - Learning to cook a variety of foods is useful if you don't know how to; the recipe builder here on MFP is really useful to count calories in home made foods
    - Don't deny yourself little treats - I buy 100g bars of chocolate as my indulgence item, and have a bit every day (I get 5-10 portions out of one 100g bar)
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    LahrysaTebo2015 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yes ! I have a cess to a fridge freezer, microwave, stove etc. This week's grocery shopping I'm going to go to a few diff stores so I have a bigger selection. I'm only cooking for myself.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cheap meals include thiose with ingredients made from beans, legumes, potatoes, onions, cabbage, eggs, rice, frozen fruits and veggies, tuna, and fruits and veggies purchased on sale in season.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Frozen instead of fresh meats and vegetables is the biggest one for me. Around here, fresh chicken breast is like $6/lb. A 2.5lb bag of frozen breasts is like $7, and they taste just as good. Same with vegetables. frozen veggies are usually only $1/lb and conveniently cut up and ready to cook.

I also shop sales like crazy. My boyfriend works in retail, so he knows when all the good sales are and we stock up. Like, if meat is about to go past it's sell by and they slap the 50% off sticker on it, we buy a ton of it.

I find it much more expensive in general to get my healthy calories, especially since I am doing low carb, so I have basically developed a mentality that if it's not on sale, I don't buy it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I make two shopping trips a week: one to Dillons/Kroger armed with my best coupons and the sales flyer and one trip to Aldi where a lot of my staples and produce are cheaper.

I shop for fruits & veggies that are on sale, seasonal, or frozen to help save money.

I buy a few items in bulk because it's cheaper over time and I've developed a few "go-to" meals that are fast so I won't be tempted to run out and grab something to eat instead of cooking.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    When I did tons of meal prep I'd make a week's worth of chicken, broccoli and rice. Delicious, nutritious and cheap. I think it worked out to $2.83/meal.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I posted my tips in your other thread already.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a house hold of four. I make chicken tacos extremly inexpensive, tossed salad with a slice of chicken on top, mixed veggies, veggie chili. I feed my family of four on 115 a week. Look on pinterest they have awesome budgeting plans.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I also save a ton of money on buying frozen vegetables. You do not have to go crazy with the shopping. You can truly eat whatever you want as long as it fits in your caloric allotment.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Always look out for the end of day offers for meat, veggies try frozen or canned - less waste. Pastas, rice , legumes as your bulk staples.
    Value ranges in supermarkets , use those coupons or if you get money back vouchers / points off shopping.
    Planning ahead is key, work out menus and what things you like. For instance roasting a whole chicken can be several meals for later in the week from a roast to stews/ curries/ pasta bake/ soup by just adding in veggies and grains to bulk out.
    Buying own brand items can also save money
    Check out Pinterest for ideas on meal prepping and recipies
    Good luck x
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    -Buy whole produce that is bagged. A bag of apples or pears is going to give you extra for less than buying individual.
    -Potatoes are super cheap, filling, and can be prepared in different ways for different meals.
    -Eggs can be relatively inexpensive, but are filling.
    -Buy chicken in bulk, portion it into ziplock bags (6 or 8 ounces in each bag) then freeze.
    -Most supermarkets discount meats at the end of the day or very early in the morning, so check with the butcher to see when they do that. You can get meat for 25-50% off and if you are freezing it the meat will still taste fresh.
    -Do not buy pre-made or pre-portioned foods. They're more expensive. This goes for all types of individual sized foods.

Plan ahead!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    oats are a clean carb, they're very good for you and they can be had super cheap. i sweeten mine with stevia, but you don't have to sweeten it at all. you can make it with non-fat milk for protein. barley is also a great carb - tons of fiber, nice chewiness. you'll find it with the dried beans, and the beans and barley are quite cheap, filling and last for a long time so you won't throw any away.

i made bean soup with onion, celery, beans and carrots plus just a little olive oil. you can easily make several days worth on the stove or in the crock pot. with the right seasonings, it can be quite tasty, and it can be adjusted to be pretty low in sodium easily. i actually put a little parmesan cheese in mine.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Frozen chicken and broccoli with rice are a go-to for me. All relatively cheap for the servings you get.
    You could look for other meats when they are on sale and freeze, because chicken can get boring after a while. Frozen veggies are usually $1-2 a bag, and sometimes go on sale for even less, so that's a good time to stock up.
    Fruits like apples and bananas. Potatoes are filling and not too expensive.
    Personally I have found that "healthier eating" is actually pretty cheap for me, I just have to be careful about having fresh things that will spoil (hence buying a lot of prefrozen stuff haha).
    I also like to cook up chili, spaghetti, or chicken and noodle dishes in the crockpot. A huge crock lasts a long time for one person, after a few days I usually freeze the rest to have some variety on hand. Noodles or canned beans and a jar of sauce aren't pricey.
    You can have some variety with other foods though. Personally if I try to eat totally "clean" it ends in disaster, so I incorporate a few treats too.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Chicken is usually my go-to meat for protein and price. Frozen chicken and fish are pretty decently priced.

Eggs in some form for dinner once or twice a week can save a lot of money. Frittatas are how I usually eat them, but recipes like shakshuka or veggie stir-fry work too.

I would also suggest making a bean-based meal at least once a week because they are so cheap and canned beans are very easy.

Soups are definitely a budget-friendly meal and give you a chance to add cheaper frozen or canned veggies because they usually cook long enough that fresh isn't necessary.

As a side I love a huge wedge of iceberg lettuce with my favorite blue cheese dressing (not too much dressing...). It's really filling and iceberg is super cheap. Corn salsa, cucumber and onion salad, and roasted carrots are also pretty cheap and low calorie.

Oatmeal for breakfast is really inexpensive and filling. Old fashioned (rolled) oats don't take too long to cook.

While bananas have pretty high calories for a fruit, they're really cheap and reasonably filling if you want something sweet and are trying not to indulge too much in desserts. Frozen berries can save loads over fresh ones.

You can buy a lot of spices in the "ethnic foods" sections of grocery stores and you can usually get more for a cheaper price.

Avoid buying drinks. Save calories and money by drinking water, coffee or tea you make yourself.

Dairy is usually relatively expensive, so buy only what you need and make it count! Some things can be replaced with cheaper alternatives. Oil can usually sub for butter. Recipes that include sour cream may be ok with yogurt or buttermilk, cottage cheese might work for ricotta, etc.

You'll get the hang of it really fast once you have a few trusty recipes. Good luck!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Invest in some freezer storage containers--when you do your meal prep, divide your recipe into single servings and tuck some away in the freezer for later--that way you won't have to eat leftovers of the same meal several days in a row. As time goes on, you might only have to prepare a whole new meal 2x per week, but still have a home-cooked meal every night!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Google budget recipes and you will find tons - actually, someone on this board has posted a couple of times about a website called (I think) budget bites or bytes or something like that - maybe someone else can remember and post it for you.

My strategy is the same as others - there is only two of us, but I still make recipes for 8 or 6 people and freeze the leftovers for nites when I cannot bear another task or make another decision!
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    My biggest thing to help with cost is I prelog 2 weeks at a time and only buy what I need. Saves lots of money and you can plan things that give you food for 3-5 days. I still eat a lot of the same things I did before just in different portion sizes
  • runshellersrun123
    runshellersrun123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal for breakfast every morning. A big tub runs about $3, and it lasts a while. I do not buy cereal unless it's on sale for $2/box.
    I buy extra berries while they're in season, then freeze them and use them over the winter. This is a huge savings, as a carton of berries are $2 in season but $5 out of season.
    We also freeze leftovers that we don't think we'll eat before they go bad. Then we pull them out a few weeks or a month later, and you also don't have to cook anything that night!
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Buy frozen and bulk as much as possible. Don't waste money on name brand foods, 99% of the time the generic tastes exactly the same (if not better). Meals don't have to be fancy...sometimes I'll just make some rice, a can of veggies, and mix it with some soy sauce.