Potential cure for obesity-related type 2 Diabetes

Options
kendrafallon
kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
I thought I'd post this link here as it's a potential success story and all-round feel-good story too

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/jun/24/low-calorie-diet-hope-cure-diabetes

Replies

• sallybetzingleboo
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, they were talking about it on TV too, amazing results the NHS must be happy :) Interesting to see people were healthy on such a low calorie diet for two months too, certainly makes the old `starvation mode' sound like a myth.
  • jpooley1988
    jpooley1988 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I heard about this this morning too! Aparently going on a 600 calories per day diet for 8 weeks, kick starts your body to produce its glucose or whatever itself!?!

Yer, wondering about the 'starvation mode' myself!
  • TamiLinc
    TamiLinc Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kendrafallon
    Options
    In all honesty, given the study size (11 participants) Newcastle University need to do another trial, this time with a bigger group. The 600-calorie diet was for 1 week only and for the end result for some of the participants, I'd say it was worth it!

Here's a link to the BBC article on the same subject http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13887909
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, given the study size (11 participants) Newcastle University need to do another trial, this time with a bigger group. The 600-calorie diet was for 1 week only and for the end result for some of the participants, I'd say it was worth it!

Here's a link to the BBC article on the same subject http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13887909

Actually the 600 calorie a day diet was for 8 weeks not just 1 week. They were tested after a week.

I saw this on the news this morning. 8 weeks on a 600 cal a day diet. Now a few months later 7 of the 11 who took part are still diabetes free.

It would be interesting to know what thier diets were after this 8 week period and to have updates on them next year to see how it keeps up. I think it was probably a bit too soon for them to be heralding this as a cure.
  • jme1282
    jme1282 Posts: 17
    Options
    My mom (who is 63) has been a type 2 diabetic for about 15 years and has seen amazing results by just eating a strict vegan diet. She's been vegan for about 7 years and is now off all of her diabetes meds. She has regular doctor visits and always checks out fine. She still has certain cookies and breads (which are vegan), but watches her blood sugar.
    That's another alternative. :)
  • kendrafallon
    Options
    Actually the 600 calorie a day diet was for 8 weeks not just 1 week. They were tested after a week.

@Painten my mistake, thanks for pointing it out :smile:

I just find the whole thing fascinating, we all know what we eat has an impact on our bodies, but it's 'seeing' it proved, with the end result being a cure for an illness. And all through something as simple as watching what you eat
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I personally don't believe that starvation mode happens at just under 1200 calories or even at 600 calories. I have read enough to believe that your metabolism will adjust to lower calorie intake eventually (meaning slow a bit in response to it after a very long time). This is why, without having tried it personally, I can see zigzagging calories being a reasonable approach to breaking a plateau. But, I think people who are concerned about being in "starvation" mode, even if you were eating just 600 calories a day for 8 weeks, are taking the starvation mode theory a bit too literally. It's actually something that bugs me about entering my daily calories. I am not going hungry.....I am eating plenty and plenty of good things and I'm eating just under 1200 calories a day. I'd rather see MFP have a warning about people living on low-fat processed junk food and hardly a fruit or vegetable in sight. Getting your 1200 calories from those foods is far more risky than some bogeyman starvation mode, IMHO.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am a T2 diabetic, and am on day 8 of my version of the Newcastle diet. The only difference between what I am doing, and the study group is using Atkins shakes, as they are low in carbs. I am also not having any solid food, ie the veg for at least the first 4 weeks, then will add 200 calories of green leafy veg into my diet for the last four weeks. I am also planning my diet post Newcastle. If anyone would like to friend me, and see my progress, then welcome along. I weigh in on a Monday, and in one week have lost 12lb with no side effects at all. In fact, if any thing, I have more energy than before. I can supply loads of links to the study if anyone is interested.
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    LOL, I think I did this on my own last year when I had a relapse of anorexic behaviors. I'm off my diabetes medicine because of that now, bittersweet as that is :-)

As far as the starvation mode thing goes - I was talking about this with someone else earlier today. There is a difference between hitting a plateau because you're eating a little less than you are supposed to and eating like a person with anorexia - which is essentially what this diabetes diet is. People following severe calorie restrictions - like anorexic or CRON diets - are in starvation mode and their bodies STILL cannot maintain a healthy weight because the deprivation is so severe. A person slipping into starvation mode because they are shorting themselves a few hundred calories can plateau or even gain because their bodies are able to compensate for that level of restriction. Also, 2 months of severe dieting will not destroy your metabolism the way long term self-starvation will.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    it's called diet and exercise!
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I had lap band surgery in August 2011. By November my A1C went from 7.4 (on 3 meds/day) to 5.8 on no meds. I have maintained the 5.8 and am anxious to see what it is in June. After a 70# loss, it's obvious, for some, that weight loss is the answer to curing/controlling type 2 diabetes. I know that WLS is not for everyone and some think it is the easy way out (that's another argument for another day) but for me it was the answer and I would not change anything (other than doing it sooner than I did).
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!