exercise calories!??!

Options
I keep reading posts that talk about eating back your 'exercsie calories'. I'm not really sure what this means!? I eat 1350 calories a day and burn at least 350 in the gym.... am i doing something wrong?

Replies

• felicia1105
    felicia1105 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think what they are saying is you get those calories back since you burned them off.

So, if you get 1350 a day and then you burn 350, your intake was only 1000 calories.

Can anyone confirm that this is true?
  • sarahnicole218
    Options
    You are not doing anything wrong! People are talking about eating those extra calories you earn in the gym. So maybe your normal day is 1350, but if you exercise that day and burn 350 calories, then technically you could (and probably should to keep your metabolism going) eat 1700 calories that day. Make sense?
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Ask your body. Is what you are doing working for you? Are you losing weight? There are a lot of conflicting viewpoints on this topic here. So, if it works, do it. If it stops working, you may have to eat more, just listen to your body.
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will eat there allotted amount of calories plus the calories they burn from exercising. It has to do with the deficit in calories that MFP sets up for you depending on how much you wanted to lose a week. I try to not eat mine back but sometimes I use it as a cushion for higher calorie days. I think its mostly personal preference.
  • McghanK
    McghanK Posts: 120
    Options
    This means that if you are allowed 1330 calories and you work out 300 calories, you will be able to eat 1630 calories per day. However, you have to be careful because the calories you burn during your workout can vary. MFP mayb not always be accurate on how many calories it gives you back for your workout. You can choose to or not to eat the "extra calories" if you feel that you are not getting enough calories the you should, it's all about listening and getting in tune with your body and what it's telling you.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The more weight you have to lose the bigger a deficit you can get away with, but if you need to lose 20 lbs or less you have to be a bit more careful - or at least that is my understanding from what I have read.
  • kursejohn
    kursejohn Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It means you are only eating 1000 calories which is not enough to feed your body. In order to keep your body fueled properly, you should eat back your exercise calories. I find it interesting some people try to loose weight with just reducing calories. It has to be a complete life balance of all things considered with nutritional healthy balanced meals and snacks and exercise. Just my thought.
  • deannalu89
    deannalu89 Posts: 29
    Options
    thanks guys! all have these have helped and given me a little insight! =)
  • deannalu89
    deannalu89 Posts: 29
    Options
    You are not doing anything wrong! People are talking about eating those extra calories you earn in the gym. So maybe your normal day is 1350, but if you exercise that day and burn 350 calories, then technically you could (and probably should to keep your metabolism going) eat 1700 calories that day. Make sense?

if i increase my calorie intake to about 1700, do you believe ill still lose weight? i guess i've just gotten myself so worked up about losing the weight that i'm terrified of eating anymore. although my body is starting to feel the strain of not eating....