No will power

Options
Hi I'm big fat and sick of it, I have zero will power and always give up, my partner doesn't help he eats what he wants and loves to rub it in my face when I try to diet. Losing the battle before I even start

Replies

• Shining_Armour
    Shining_Armour Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey there- I know how you feel. I have very little in the way of willpower myself sometimes... But I know it can be done! I lost 100 lbs, and while the journey has been difficult, (I regained 60 lbs, bleh.) it's not impossible. Keep working, keep at it, and look here for support and kinship.

You can do it!
  • Shining_Armour
    Shining_Armour Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also, just think how good you'll look and feel in the future. Maybe it'll inspire said partner to join you, eh? ;)
  • kerrieanneh1976
    kerrieanneh1976 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your support, it means a lot to know someone is in my corner x
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Partner sounds like a jerk - I find it's easier not to place my success on other people, though. Cook your own stuff and let him do his own, grocery shop for yourself only if need be if he can't get on board or be supportive. I personally cook meals that my wife prefers for her goals, because if she's happy I am.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You have to remember you are doing this for you...... if he is a jerk to you about it could mean he hates himself and sees you losing weight as a threat to his spot in your life. You are making this decision for yourself, it would be awesome if he supports you. But if not this is about you not him and let him be a hater and you keep improving yourself. Love yourself and do not give up on yourself !
  • NicoleDarling00
    NicoleDarling00 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    What she said! ^^
  • lesleyloo7879
    edited April 2016
    Options
    And By the way @kerrieanneh1976 I am big and Fat...I am 5'11 and my starting weight was 230 I have been on for almost 60 days, it took me a month to finally get my butt in gear I have lost 9.8 so far. I have 2 kids I cook them one thing and my bf and myself something else........ be patient the weight will come off! It will take time , some weeks you may loose 5 pounds other weeks a .2. I agree with @LazSommer make him shop and cook his own meals. You do not have to cut anything out of your diet , just make it fit into cals for the day.

I eat Peanut Butter cups just not 4 packs of them! I eat pizza but it will be 2 slices not 6. And if you go over your Cals for the day it will not hurt you (just don't do it often) Start taking walks and DRINK WATER LOTS OF IT!!!!!!

You will find Support here..... but we can not give you the will power that comes from you! We will be here to cheer you on, make inappropriate remarks (they are all over this place) and there are tons of people who have been doing this for a while that will help you.

If you quit before you even start you are letting that jerk win and bring you down to his level!!!! Good Luck beautiful , LOVE YOURSELF
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    jkhoffe wrote: »
    "You already know what happens when you give up, aren't you curious to see what happens when you don't?"

I must say this to myself 100 times a day. You can do, you are worth the work! It sucks that he isn't supportive, but the OPs are right, you can't let that jerk stop you. Do it in spite of him

I love this quote and am totally stealing it as my new fitness mantra.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    If that is your picture, then you are not big or fat. Do not put yourself down and definitely do not let anyone else put you down. Once you make up your mind to lose weight will power really does not matter. Just know you are worth it and negativity from anyone does not help
  • lesleyloo7879
    Options
    jkhoffe wrote: »
    "You already know what happens when you give up, aren't you curious to see what happens when you don't?"

I must say this to myself 100 times a day. You can do, you are worth the work! It sucks that he isn't supportive, but the OPs are right, you can't let that jerk stop you. Do it in spite of him

BOOM That right there!!!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    When I do the following, I have more willpower:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Don't have trigger foods in my face.

Not sure what you're going to do about # 7. Have you had a serious talk with your partner about how he can support you?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I like to remember that willpower is kind of like another muscle group. You can train it a little bit at a time. It may feel like you have none, now, but I bet you have more than you realize. And the more often you practice it the easier it can get.

That's not to say that it's easy. Willpower, like your muscles, can get overworked. That's why it's harder for a lot of us to say 'no' at the end of a long day. Our willpower gets over taxed.

The more I can get into a routine and a schedule, the fewer decisions I have to make, which helps me. I keep the HALT acronym in mind. Don't let myself get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired because those are times when I'm more likely to reach for food.

Keep at it! It's a pain in the butt, some days. But over time it does get easier :flowerforyou:
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    DONT DIET ... Change your life style find a plan that's for life.

Use your partner as a challenge for yourself to show him how great you are.

Stop negative thoughts
    No more I've got no will power
    No more I can't do this
    To
    I am doing this
    I'm great I am losing weight

Don't mention any weightloss thing to your partner tbh my husband eats what he likes if I mention my weightloss I don't get any response so I don't bother I'm doing this for me & I am doing it.

It's amazing how you change your mindset with simple positive thoughts

Forget last weightloss plans
    None were a failure they were all a future lesson

Don't deprive yourself have treats and exercise start light don't rush into very low cal extreme exercise as that's going to be a failure before you can get past a month.

Drop the word DIET that's a word that = to most deprivation , I can't have, I'm hungry.

Take a underware photo or 3 of front back side when your feeling in a struggling mode look at them
    Find a piece of clothing you WILL get into and use that as a goal.

Aim for -1lb a week don't set goals high it leads to disappointment & yoyo weight

Above all be kind to yourself :smile: if it takes a year that's better than being 50lbs heavier in a year :smiley:
  • kerrieanneh1976
    kerrieanneh1976 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you, this will really help x
  • ucooper92
    ucooper92 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was reading through here because I saw no will power, and I seem to lose mine often, but I've found some motivating tips in here. Thanks guys! :)
  • fparadise109
    fparadise109 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. Although male, both my wife and I help motivate others and ask that others help to motivate.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Partner sounds like a jerk - I find it's easier not to place my success on other people, though. Cook your own stuff and let him do his own, grocery shop for yourself only if need be if he can't get on board or be supportive. I personally cook meals that my wife prefers for her goals, because if she's happy I am.

BOOM.

Seriously though, if he cares about you at ALL, he shouldn't be acting that way!!
    I know it's hard, but it becomes a habit and it even gets, dare I say, fun?!
    You can do it!
  • unsatisfiedmfp
    unsatisfiedmfp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love how everyone on here is so friendly and supportive. I just ultimately understand your frustration. My significant other isn't necessarily supportive either and i have tons of days when i feel like just giving up, because i feel like there's no point and I'm never going to achieve my goal, but you gotta just have faith in yourself. I believe in you & I'm always here to motivate and help. c:
    Good luck, gorgeous.