Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I'm on my 3rd year after having the gastric sleeve surgery and was doing very well until my husband had a stroke and now having congestive heart failure. I've put on 10 pounds in 4 months. I keep trying to go back to what I was doing before with protein drink in the morning and at lunch and a regular dinner, but I find myself picking up eating in between meals from stress I think. It's so hard when you feel stress as a caregiver. I find that I have more wine in the evenings than I had before, which I know has lots of calories. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I suggest loads and loads of non-caloric self-care and stay off the scale until your hubby is out of the woods.

Bubble bath. Walk in a beautiful place. Nap with classical music playing. Borrow a kitten. Diarize your feelings.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    I would suggest finding another outlet to cope with your stress. Can someone relieve you of your duties a couple of times a week for an hour or so? If so, I would vote for finding a yoga class. Great stress reliever. You can, of course, do yoga at home, but it might be best to be out of the house so your mind can fully relax.
  • lcarpe48
    lcarpe48 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks for the response and I agree! For sure I need to write down my feelings, just to vent what I'm thinking. Yesterday I walked a couple of miles with co-workers and it felt so good to be exercising again. I'm trying to stay positive about all that's happening right now and believe in the Kelly Clarkson's song "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"... I sure hope so...lol
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    I would also advise you to log all your calories. It is easy sometimes to think you are "dieting" by drinking a shake but you make up the calories elsewhere. Otherwise, I agree with the other posts.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Can you walk from home without the coworkers? Getting into walking can change your life.
  • lcarpe48
    I think that was one of things I slacked off doing is logging my food intake. I totally agree that, that is one of the best ways to understand what you are doing wrong.
  • lcarpe48
    Yes, I have really nice place to walk at home, but because my husband is in need of me after I get home from work, I find it easier to walk during my lunch hour. I have hopes that my husband will be able to walk with me soon. He could use the exercise as well.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,159 Member
    Stress is the absolute worse condition, to be stressed because of your DH's medical problems is taxing on you in so many ways.
    I don't know if what I am suggesting is a good idea or not, it may be too extreme.....but, can you hang several pictures of yourself as you appeared when you were the MOST heavy , in your range of vision. The sight of your former body, overweight and with major issues, may help you to focus enough on what is best for you.

Many ppl cheat the Bypass by consuming sweets in liquid form, not keeping protein numbers up and not exercising, avoid all of this by loving yourself now ..... GL, you're capable of doing this.
  • lcarpe48
    Thank you Linia I appreciate that!! JUst being able to talk about this helps a bunch!
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    I have to second and third so many of these suggestions. I was a caregiver from age 30-37 for two ailing in-laws (alzheimers and cancer) and the stress is so difficult! I cannot say enough how important it is for you to get some respite once in awhile. Take yourself to get your nails done once a week, a massage, anything to get away for a short time so you can take a deep breath. We did not do this and your health will suffer for it. Maybe a bubble bath when your hubby is sleeping? Someone posted on another thread "The Eight Traits of Emotional Hunger." I HIGHLY recommend printing this out and taping it to one of your kitchen cupboards. When you want to eat, read it. See what kind of hunger you're really experiencing. It will help make you aware of why your eating and if you determine it to be emotional at that moment then you can make a choice to do something healthier. Drink a large glass of water, go outside in the sunshine, read a book, sew, anything.

My heart feels for you. I so remember those days of caregiving. Be kind to yourself. I hope you have someone close to you (a friend, family member, child) that you can just talk to you when you need to. My .02 on the wine is that it will really make things harder emotionally in the long run (not to mention weight). You might consider taking extra B, C and D vitamins right now. They will help boost your immune system (C), give you increased energy and help your manage stress (B's), and help your mood (D3). Just doing those things may help with your stress level enough that you don't want or need the wine as much to relax (because ultimately, that is likely what it does for you).

(((hugs))) Hang in there!
  • lcarpe48
    Thank you so much ronjsteele1!! Actually, in the last few days, I've been doing much better! It helps to just communicate with folks who have been through similar situations. I've worked hard to get my weight down and for sure I don't want to mess this up. Thanks again for sharing your story with me, it means more than you know!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    My fiance is a caregiver for his elderly parent and gets a massage twice a month. He deserves it!

Also do keep up the exercise at lunch time, and maybe try to work some yoga in there as well.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Lots of communities offer support groups for caregivers - check with local hospitals or libraries and they may be able to point you to one. It's emotionally and physically demanding. You need to take care of your mental health as well!
  • Maybe try a pouch reset
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited April 2016
    Also seek "care giver" support via the hospital social worker. My siblings and I utilized when my mother has breast cancer.