If you have a lot of calories left, can you...

Options
Can you eat something sweet if you have a lot of calories left towards evening??? :huh: For example, I had over 1000 calories left last night, and I had a couple cookies and just a pinch of skim milk. Even after that, I had around 700 calories left!!! Granted, I exercise every single day, for a minimum of a half hour, so I always have a decent amount of calories left over. Is that allowed if you're staying under your goal?? Does anyone else allow themselves treats like this??? Thanks so much!!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• krystalkimes
    Options
    I feel like its okay if you had a good amount of the nutrition you need through out the day. If you have taken in all or most your fruits and vegetables during the day and you still have lots of calories at the end, I would feel that its okay to treat your self with a sweet especially if its moderate!
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    just the other day I had a cookie when I had a ton of calories left at the end of the day. I still continue to lose exactly 1 lb per week. :smile:
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i do. i exercised a ton yesterday, and had negative net calories. so I enjoyed a bowl of ice cream. it doesn't happen all the time, but on days when i've worked hard and have a huger deficet that day-- i treat myself to something sweet.
  • Ley2ndtry
    Ley2ndtry Posts: 136
    Options
    yes! and some days i purposely workout more or go for a very long walk just so i can have a treat, makes it worth it then too.

like tonight i've got a load of cals left and i'm gonna eat maltesers and a pack of wotsits tonight
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You can do anything you want. It's your body and your life.
  • KJ7777
    KJ7777 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thats exactly what i do. either that or make my evening meal something everyone will be eating like pizza or not rice or potatoes.
    But its normally things like icecream lol
    Iv lost every week so its not a bad thing, i just make sure i dont go over my cals
  • mhig011975
    mhig011975 Posts: 181
    Options
    yes you can, if you earned those calories, treat yourself to something sweet.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Definitely...then you won't feel deprived. Calories are calories. Of couse your base core for the day should be nutrient packed but enjoying the good stuff now and then will not hurt if you have enough left at the end of the day for them.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Yep! It's total calories in that make a difference.
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    A life without ever having a couple of cookies, is a life I never want to live!!! lol :)
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Try it and see how your body reacts. I find that even if I have a lot of calories left over, if I eat late (say, after 8 pm), I have a hard time losing, but if I eat the treat right after dinner, I'm still OK. But every body is different. Experiment and see what keeps you losing.
    Good luck!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Of Course! But what you should do is know ahead of time that you will have these extra calories and have to cookie during the afternoon, try not to have a late night snack of cookies your body should digest the a bit before bedtime.
  • along21291
    along21291 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love treating myself with the extra calories! As long as you are at your calorie goal go for it!
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I usually try to use up excess calories with things that I know my body needs, as opposed to stuff that I know will most likely end up on my hips (even if I'm under). That said, if I've been "good" for a long time, then I don't feel bad about having a sweet treat, or a glass of wine, etc, as long as I'm still under. After all, life isn't so great if you can't enjoy a cookie from time to time!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I would say its up to you, its your body, its your weight loss goals.

For me, if I have a large deficit every now and again, simply because I exercised a ton that day compared to my usual routine then I just pat myself on the back for that day. If I am eating healthily then I don't worry about my deficits being too large because I know I am not harming my body.

Some people like to burn huge amounts of calories so that they can eat that piece of cake or cookies or whatever and still reach their calorie net goal. If this works for them then great! For me though I can't mentally do that because if I have cake today then I will want it the next day, and that next day I may not "earn" that cake through exercise like I did today. Plus I think not only just calories but what is in that cake that isn't good for my body otherwise? The truth is you aren't going to go into the so called starvation mode (which is a myth in and of itself) with a day of having a huge calorie deficit.
  • matwood74
    matwood74 Posts: 111
    Options
    I do that too, exercise more so I know if I want a scoop of ice cream I can have it!!! Especially in the summertime, I get cravings for ice cream a LOT!! I found sugar free Bryars ice cream at the grocery store, and it's only 90 calories for a half scoop!!! Not too bad!!! :wink:
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Like most people who have replied, I do that as well. I give myself a small treat if I have calories left ... I figure I have earned it!
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    It is your diet and or life style change. There are no forbidden foods. :flowerforyou:
  • aneisiena
    aneisiena Posts: 63
    Options
    After playing around with MFP, I was able to "activate" the daily Sugar Intake, Fiber Intake, etc. It has your recommended amount and keeps a tally of how much you consume based on your food diary entries. This is what I would use to see if I should have a treat. (For example: I'm under in calories, but over in sugar...probably wouldn't have the sweets. But if you're just under in everything...do the happy dance and indulge for a bit haha!)