Tofu - what to do with it?

Options

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Oh do not freeze tofu! It changes its texture and makes its flavor change and I tastes terrible (to me!)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Oh do not freeze tofu! It changes its texture and makes its flavor change and I tastes terrible (to me!)

I think it's worth it for OP to try. Many people (including myself) like the change in texture that freezing produces (and I personally don't notice a change in taste).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sorry... When I read your thread title, "put it in the bin" came to mind. Tofu is one thing you couldn't pay me to eat

Dagnammit get out of my head :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is my favourite, baked tofu.

http://www.coffeeandquinoa.com/2014/06/crispy-baked-tofu-teriyaki-bowl/

It is foolproof (no burning!), pleasingly crisp on the outside, creamy on the inside. My meat and potatoes guy will eat this.
  • AngryGangrel
    AngryGangrel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Scrambled tofu! It's so easy (pressing not required) and you can do so much with it. Great way to get rid of some extra beans or chopped veggies. You can make it plain or fancy and experiment with spices and seasoning. You can have it for breakfast, wrap it in a tortilla or pita for lunch, scatter it over a frozen pizza for dinner. Post-Punk Kitchen's recipe is a good one to start with, but there are many many versions of scrambled tofu you can try, or just invent your own. With scrambled tofu you're limited only by what tastes good to you.

http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/scrambled-tofu/

Firm tofu, crushed up and mashed, can also substitute for (or help stretch) ricotta cheese in a manicotti or lasagna.
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Tofu seems to be a polarizing food. I'm not going to force anyone to eat it, but I also don't think it's garbage, either. Just don't try to tell me that it tastes the same as meat. It doesn't, and if I am expecting meat flavor and texture, then I will probably spit it out. Tofu will never be a true meat substitute, but I think it still has a place as a protein source.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound weird...

I LOVE Bdubs (Buffalo wild wings) sauce, I don't particularly enjoy the food, but the sauces are crack to me. One random, sad lunch day... I found myself staring at my fridge filled with bdubs sauces, tofu, and like 1 egg. (Hadn't gone to store yet). I took the tofu and dumped bdubs thai curry sauce over it. It was delicious, and I will be doing that with all the sauces many times over.
  • allison4224
    allison4224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I recommend Nasoya brand TofuBaked marinated baked tofu. I've found 3 flavors - teriyaki, chipotle, and sesame ginger. You get 4 pieces in a package - and you can eat them from the package cold. The teriyaki is my fave. The chipotle is spicy.
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have a tofu press that I got for 10.00. I squeeze the water out of it, bake it or stir fry it into rice. I also use it in soups and chili's for my vegan friends.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

I think it's worth it for OP to try. Many people (including myself) like the change in texture that freezing produces (and I personally don't notice a change in taste).

Yep. I think it's amazing after freezing!
  • Ciera247Zumba
    Ciera247Zumba Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    In addition to suggestions of baking and frying (I use coconut oil because it has healthy fats and the flavor is mild), tofu can be sort of "scrambled" to supplement a breakfast dish (in addition or in place of eggs). This is especially good with fresh diced vegetables as it cooks. Just drain the tofu, and gently smash it with a fork in the frying pan, add some seasonings too.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Tofu's main good characteristic is that it soaks up flavors.
    So... marinade it or cook it with flavorful foods.
    I like it mainly in stir-fry or miso soup (that was lunch).
    (ETA: forgot about Indian food. That's a yummy thing too.)

If you get soft tofu, it can be pan-scrambled like eggs & has much the same texture.
    To get the color right & add flavor, add turmeric.

Explore several brands & firmnesses before deciding that you still really don't like it.
    There are some boxed brands that are nothing but bland in texture & taste,
    but there are some in tubs (or sometimes plastic sleeves) with incredible texture and
    some taste, which isn't off-putting. Those I actually like to sneak nibbles of while I'm
    cutting it up to go in the stir-fry. (Yes, plain.)
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Just get some baked tofu that has been marinated and call it a day. Trader Joe's baked thai tofu is good.

If you really wanna go hard in the paint, get some fried tofu chunks from the Asian market. Just douse it in your favorite sauce for a fried, spongy good time. Don't look at the nutrition facts label though. :o
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of tofu, but I'm a lazy person and my cooking is very fuss-free. I like to cut it into cubes and put it in vegetable soups, or cut it in cubes and roast it with root vegetables and brussels sprouts, or cut it into cubes and eat it with pasta and red sauce.

Sometimes if I feel fancy I'll cut it into triangles instead.
  • YeaYeaPueblo
    YeaYeaPueblo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Scrambled tofu! It's so easy (pressing not required) and you can do so much with it. Great way to get rid of some extra beans or chopped veggies. You can make it plain or fancy and experiment with spices and seasoning. You can have it for breakfast, wrap it in a tortilla or pita for lunch, scatter it over a frozen pizza for dinner. Post-Punk Kitchen's recipe is a good one to start with, but there are many many versions of scrambled tofu you can try, or just invent your own. With scrambled tofu you're limited only by what tastes good to you.

http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/scrambled-tofu/

Firm tofu, crushed up and mashed, can also substitute for (or help stretch) ricotta cheese in a manicotti or lasagna.

I second this! We make southwest tofu scrambles. In olive oil saute red bell pepper, onion, and green bell pepper until onion is translucent, add chili, paprika, cayenne, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper to taste then add your crumbled tofu to the skillet and toss until hot and well seasoned. We serve that with salsa, black beans (or vegetarian refried beans) and cheese. Soo good! It's basically like eating scrambled eggs with tasty southwest veggies.

Check out Thug Kitchen or I Could Never Go Vegan! for more tofu ideas.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I love tofu! I love it fried with peanut sauce. I also love it crumbled into chillies or curries. Firm or extra firm is the easiest to work with if you're a newcomer to tofu. There are all kinds of tofu though, all are delicious. Here's a handy dandy guide:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/shopping-cooking-guide-different-tofu-types.html
  • jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I like to freeze it and then thaw it out first. It completely changes that texture and makes it less mushy. I usually bake mine... I squeeze out the water, cut it into cubes, sprinkle with soy sauce, and bake it until crispy. Be sure to spray the pan with non stick spray or you'll never get the cubes off the pan!

And I was one of those people that "hated" tofu until I had it at a Thai place and it was AMAZING! I've been hooked ever since! The key to good tofu is knowing how to cook it (or have someone who knows what they are doing cook it for you). I'm a pretty firm believer that most people hate tofu because they have never had it cooked correctly...
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Use it to make pottery. ;)
  • hiphop10
    hiphop10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I like what you do and said you make tofu for your vegan friends! I am vegan and it is the best thing I have ever done!